If you ever get tired of CM, then what other war games do you play?

markshot

Ha ha.  I changed the question, since this seems to be the one most of you really wanted to answer.

I have more games than I can reasonably play.

Currently, I am focusing on PDS+ALL DLCs (most mods are mainly improved graphics like better text fonts or state borders):  CK2/CK3/EU4/HOI4 will pass on IR.  I recently started with CK3.  It is my first RPG ever and I like it, but I doubt I will buy The Sims.

I have played RTW1/STW2/MTW2/RTW2 with the top total conversion mods like RS3, EB1/2, and DEI.  But I retired them all.  TW combat just cannot be modded to the point that it is worth my time.  Sadly, unlike other games, TW auto-resolve is pathetic too.

For ancient tactical combat, I like FOG2.  For ancient grand strategy, I like Empires (but I have been pushing for the patch before playing again).  For ancient pure grand warfare, I like AJE (AGEOD's Alea Jacta Est; all releases).

For ACW tactical I like SOW-GB ... and SOW-WL.  I have and hope to play one day AGEOD's ACW1 and ACW2.

UGCW is not bad, but I find too much time is spent in camp management which contributes little to game play.  Also, the series has many innovative features, but fails to consider TOE cohesion at battlefield factor.  I feel this is a mistake.  The back story to the game is wonderful.  The company is the brain child of an under appreciated TW modder.  He has done very well.  Formerly "Darth"; real name Nick Thomadis.

For WWII and more, CMx2 v4 engine.  I will be ordering Cold War.  I also like GraviTeam's MIUS.  For operational warfare, I have the entire Command Op2 series, but it needs another patch for prime time.

Submarines:  AOD (DOSBOX), and SHCE (DOSBOX), Sub Command modded SCXIIC, and Dangerous Water modded either LWAMI or Red Alert.  When it comes to WWII, I think AOD was one of the best.  I like sub sims, but when I am getting on years.  I just don't have time for long non-productive war patrols.

Disclosures:  Formerly connected with MMG, AGEOD, and Panther Games.  CMBO player since 2000 ... it is good to see the founders still here, apparently profitable, and not bought out by an EA or Ubisoft.

Edited by markshot

And now War in the East v2:  https://www.slitherine.com/game/gary-grigsbys-war-in-the-east-2

A bit concerned they've made it overly complex - approaching WITPAE.  Have been playing WITPAE for about 5 years just to get to the end of 1943.

Really bad video introduction about 2 hours(!).  The guy speaks in a weird way I can't understand some of what he says, and he keeps making irrelevant comments.  Annoying video.

The upcoming "Decisive Campaigns - Ardennes" looks a lot more interesting and playable.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/decisive-campaigns-ardennes-offensive

Edited by Erwin

Slightly old skool, I used to be here:

• Planes - Il2 1946 modded (leading to BAT)
  • Infantry - Day of Defeat (original version)
  • Tanks - T34 vs Tiger and Kharkhov 1943
  • Submarines - SH3 modded with the excellent Grey Wolves expansion.

Some years later, I am here:

• Planes, not really doing it, but Il2 BOS etc. is tempting me.
  • Tanks and infantry - CM2, yeah baby.
  • Tanks in a different way - Il2 Tank Crew.
  • Submarines - again, not doing it, but going back to Grey Wolves is also tempting.

Oh, and in the meantime War in the East was tried (not much progress) and also a close-to-ASL game, Tigers on the Hunt (which I was finding great until I stumbled across CM).

In summary CM has been 'always on my mind' recently, and at the risk of sounding like I'm licking something I shouldn't (I did say the same a while ago) big thanks to BFC!

• 1 month later...

The only other war games I have on my pc are SPWAW, SPWW2 and SPMBT. Legit. Everything changed when I discovered CM. I used to **** around with Faces of War but the editor was **** and there was a cap on the troops. That seems like the closest CM kind of game I came across growing up. When the maps were already huge comparatively. I also have AOEII but that's different

Edited by Artkin