M1 vs M60

zmoney

The addon stab to the M60A3 (TTS) was pretty good as long as you stayed on level ground and kept a steady speed. Outside of that, you had to have a really good (or lucky) gunner because even a little bounce/play in the sight would be enough to throw you off at longer ranges. Against moving targets, firing from a short-halt was the preferred engagement method. With the M1, which was built with stabilization as part of the base tech, and more advanced electronics, the sight picture stayed much tighter when moving.

M60s don't give the smoothest ride. I had joked their cross-country performance about equaled the Valentine tank in the CMRT Fire and Rubble module ;). 'Racing across the map' takes on a different meaning when you're using M60s.

M60A3 (TTS) was pretty late to the party. I have a document that complained the US was delivering M60A3 (TTS)s to Egypt before any had arrived in the hands of US forces in Europe (late December 1980 and still no TTS). I don't know TTS's intro date in the game.

Here's a section from "Fielding Army Weapons Systems: Experiences and Lessons Learned" June 1980:

The Report also stated that the M6OA3 tank without the tank thermal sight (TTS) did not provide a significant increase over the
M60Al (RISE passive) in ability to accomplish the mission. This I finding is of particular importance because the initial battalions of M6OA3s already fielded in Europe do not have the TTS. It will undoubtedly be disturbing to these battalions to learn that the Army plans (under the Foreiqn Military Sales Program) to sell Egypt 244 M60A3 tanks beginning in December 1980.23 These tanks will have the thermal sights, resulting in a foreign army achieving a capability before a number of high priority US Army units.