Vehicle recovery

6 hours ago, George MC said:

Hhmmm... I'm not sure what I'm watching here! Maybe this could be a post battle feature as you watch your surviving pixeltruppen celebrate...?

It was from within the link you posted, a little further down the thread. I'm just being a 🤡 . 😊

Edited by Blazing 88's

Ah the old problem of the M1 tank outweighing the M88 tank retriever. If you get going too fast and try to slow down quickly or go down a hill, the weight of a M1 can shove a M88 off the road. So far as I can remember two M88's where attached to a M1. One towing and the other pushing and acting as a drag brake.

There is two standard heavy tow bars. One is rated for M1 tanks and the other for armored vehicles of a lesser weight. If you look closely at the back of the M88 tank retriever you will notice a broken tow bar still attached to its tow pintel. It appears they used the wrong tow bar assembly which is not rated for that type of tow weight.

The M1 rated tow bar has two pivot points where the tow bar arms attach to the Lunette (head assembly).  These two pivot points where the arms attach to the Lunette provides the tow bar arms some limited side to side shift which relieves the lateral forces applied to their connection points at the Lunette .

The tow bar for the other armored vehicles has one tow bar arm fixed/welded on to the Lunette (head assymbly) the other tow bar arm is attached with a solid pin and forms a pivot point to allow the legs to be brought together for stowage or spread when connecting to a vehicle. This one fixed arm attachment to the Lunette does not allow for the relief of lateral forces on the fixed arm side. This can cause the bar to break at that point. This failure of the fixed arm can lead the other bar to flex beyond its limits and break which can occur anywhere along its length. This catastrophic failure usually occurs when the tow bar assembly is used to tow weight greater than its design limitations.