Lifeboat ethics: Is murder justified by necessity?

Childress

On 2/23/2021 at 2:40 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Dramatic, but how is this related to general discussion about Combat Mission?

You're right, not at all. I've posted, from time to time, several essays on the General Discussion forum (there's another?) without kickback; the goal is simply diversion, this is a well educated group here whose nicks are familiar- I'm an owner of CM1. These essays are derived on various history-themed sites where I post. Continue or not? 

• 6 months later...

What a fascinating discussion! There's an apt historical anecdote I'd like to share.

In 1820, the whaler Essex was repeatedly rammed, and ultimately sunk, by an enormous enraged sperm whale, ultimately inspiring the Melville novel Moby Dick. The story of what happened after the skipper, John Pollard, and crew took to the lifeboats is, for want of a better description, serially gruesome.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/essex-ship

But what came in the aftermath (forget where I read it) was in some ways worse. At a Nantucket party the mother of one of the crewmen who didn't make it it approached the former skipper and said: "I believe you knew my son" and named him, to which he replied: "Why know him, ma'am, I et him."

Ref the OP, here, also, we find people being killed as food, not dying and then being used as food. At least in this case, lots were drawn.

Regards,

John Kettler