Frustrated by this recent CMCW announcement . . .

Double Deuce

On 2/21/2021 at 9:35 PM, MikeyD said:

It was just a week(?) ago that Steve told me they needed textures for another vehicle he wants to add to the CMRT module. So that's a vehicle that wouldn't have been in the game if it had been released earlier. Schwimmwagen wasn't on the original vehicle list. Add to that a fair number of pretty impressive additional scenarios too. Heck, not even Russian partisans were on the original list! So the current Fire and Rubble is a bigger, better product than Fire and Rubble at the original hoped-for release date. It almost makes be wish Cold War would get delayed just to see what additional cool things would get added in the interim. ;)

That sound really sweet. Truly I want to play the long awaited module but maybe is better wait a few more  if we receive new toys. Only a doubt MikeyD (if you can answer):
Will F&R be released before Cold War game?

2 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Well put! Not to detract from anything you have said here, I do want to point out that I think the original poster meant the title as slightly tongue in cheek. 😁

I understand the frustration, but I do want to quickly point out that there were some very real (and serious) life complications that cropped up (multiple times unfortunately) that caused a fair number of the delays. It is not my place to comment on those. I only mention it to try and give some context. 

It's really too bad there is no tongue in cheek emoji... or even a slightly tongue in cheek emoji. It's all good with me, I really wasn't challenging the validity of anyone's human experience, in fact I honor it (the validity).

8 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I understand the frustration, but I do want to quickly point out that there were some very real (and serious) life complications that cropped up (multiple times unfortunately) that caused a fair number of the delays. It is not my place to comment on those. I only mention it to try and give some context. 

Which is justified and no doubt true. It hardly matters anymore, since we're all about to get swept away by the wonders of CM. Let bygones be bygones, we have wars to wage!

On 2/21/2021 at 4:21 PM, IronCat60 said:

All I have to say is that we need to display the same spirit and attitude we have demonstrated in the past. Qualities that I feel makes up the average Battlefront customer.

That spirit is faith that the BF folks are doing their best to produce the same quality which may take a little longer and we all know no development ever survives first contact with reality. Plus they have lives outside of work which as we all know, can influence job performance.

That attitude is Loyalty. I like to think there are no "sunshine patriots" among our crowd. Through thick and thin, past and present, we patiently wait for what we know will be as great as the last release.

Great products and outstanding customer service has always been the hallmark of companies that garner die hard loyal customers. And this company has that in spades.

And to quote my the great wisdom of my caretaker who says, "sounds like a first world problem to me", when her children complain about how unfair or unbearable it is to endure certain situations that are a want and not a need.

To quote a great movie line:

"The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient" - High Road to China

I need some coffee...😁

Just now, Aragorn2002 said:

Pretty strong, but you're right. I do need something stronger. 🙂

Whisky in coffee is a win-win here - provides the "something stronger" and obscures the vile taste of whisky :) 

( and if those fighting words don't derail this thread, it can't be done ! )

Edited by Baneman

On 2/21/2021 at 12:21 PM, Macisle said:

Helps establish CM on Steam faster and more solidly at a time when competition is likely increasing and modern is eclipsing WWII as an interest area.

With the CM games on Steam and more people getting aquainted with them and the games becoming more popular, It won't surprise me when there will be other game companies that copy what BF has done but with some changes to their games to make them a bit different.

So, until Russian gamers start outspending Americans for targeted WWII content, if something's got to give, it's going to be Eastern front

Russian players already play WW2 content quite a lot. But it seems, at least some ten years ago, that they were playing the Men of War series and Faces of War which they call V Tilu Vraga or Behind Enemy Lines as I think that is in English.

On a quite large Russian game forum one guy started a thread about the CM games a year or two ago. I went back to that forum in January and I think only three or four people have written in the CM games thread with the last post being from last year.

But with the CM games coming on Steam, I'm sure more Russians will start playing them too.

Edited by BornGinger

1 hour ago, BornGinger said:

With the CM games on Steam and more people getting aquainted with them and the games becoming more popular, It won't surprise me when there will be other game companies that copy what BF has done but with some changes to their games to make them a bit different.

Logically and historically one cannot just jump into the mil-sim market from nowhere and expect to make much of an impression. Maybe in the 90's, but not in the past 2 decades. Need all these 3D assets for vehicles for one, and the customers will be eager to do rivet-counting on those.

Hey we have Close Combat "The Bloody First" trying something like this. And the subtitle is appropriate.

8 hours ago, sfhand said:

It's really too bad there is no tongue in cheek emoji... or even a slightly tongue in cheek emoji. It's all good with me, I really wasn't challenging the validity of anyone's human experience, in fact I honor it (the validity).

Yeah, there is no way as far as I could tell to add an emoji to the title so I kind of buried one deeper in my post.  And yes, it was meant to be tongue in cheek. I recently started working on a scenario for CMRT (will need F&R to complete it properly I think) and was afraid my month of research would go to waste with the new CMCW coming soon (hopefully) and me switching to that game instead. 😁

On 2/21/2021 at 7:11 PM, Macisle said:

I totally see the logic behind doing CM:CW and think it will be a huge hit. However, I agree on the timing. CM:FR is so close. Why not let it get out the door before sucking all of the oxygen out of the room? Especially after all the delays...seems a bit of a kick in the nuts.

I guess it boils down to Steam. My understanding is that CM:FR won't be released there until RT makes it to Steam in a few quarters. So, my guess is that the structural pieces and market big picture where such that BF and Slitherine decided the initial buzz loss for CM:FR was worth the positive impact of a brand new CM title on Steam + BF's store.

I won't be getting both right away. I'll pick up FR on day one and save CW for a possible purchase in the future.

Steam as I understand it is primarily for the BF military contracts, at least that's what was hinted at in Steve's recent podcast. This fits with the secret arrival of CMCW. CMFR should have been completed before CMCW IMHO.  Image the other ww2 vehicles we could have had in F&R if they were not working on CMCW, eg. Ford GPA sea jeep, T-34 mine rollers etc. 

21 minutes ago, Geoff-Ludumpress said:

CMFR should have been completed before CMCW IMHO.  Image the other ww2 vehicles we could have had in F&R if they were not working on CMCW, eg. Ford GPA sea jeep, T-34 mine rollers etc. 

Developing CMCW did not detract from the development of F&R. 

CMCW had a very small development team for the vast majority of its development cycle. We didn't open it up to the full beta tester team until only about a month or so ago now. 

13 hours ago, Geoff-Ludumpress said:

Steam as I understand it is primarily for the BF military contracts, at least that's what was hinted at in Steve's recent podcast.

No. Steam is not involved at all as far as I can tell. The military contracts came via a partnership with Slytherine . That relationship working well lead to another partnership with Slytherine to bring CM games to Steam.

This fits with the secret arrival of CMCW.

Nope not a factor. Steve likes to surprise us some times.

CMFR should have been completed before CMCW IMHO. 

A perfectly valid opinion. Except - neither is released so we don't know that CMCW will come out before CMFR. And before you say something like "but no work should have been done on CW until FR was released" or some such that just does not reflect reality. Development of these games requires various projects to be on the go at different phases. That is a reality.

Image the other ww2 vehicles we could have had in F&R if they were not working on CMCW, eg. Ford GPA sea jeep, T-34 mine rollers etc. 

LOL adding more stuff is how you get delays in a game. The whole we are late so we better add X is exactly how you end up with a project that gets delayed and delayed and delayed.

Working on several projects concurrently is what BFC does. CMRT Fire and Rubble mega-module has been five years in the making (judging by the age of some docs in my work folder). That means its overlapped with the release of CMSF2 and CMFI Rome to Victory module, overlapped with the release of the latest game engine update, and its overlapped other projects that you'll never see. And each of those projects overlapped with each other. As for future projects, I assume one of two items on their to-do-list will now move to the head of the line... or something else out of left field will show up... or all of them will get worked on concurrently.

19 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

So you keep telling us, my friend, but it's delay, not 'delay' 😉

Sorry my friend, I was probably being pedantic.  Not knowing the original targetted release date, I can only speculate that it has been delayed.  But you're right I'm sure, as it has been a while 🕰️.

Now let the wrath rain down on me 😉.

Edited by Vacilllator

3 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Sorry my friend, I was probably being pedantic.  Not knowing the original targetted release date, I can only speculate that it has been delayed.  But you're right I'm sure, as it has been a while 🕰️.

Now let the wrath rain down on me 😉.

Nah, I like you far too much for that. 😘