CMSF2 Campaign : To Al-Hell and back - Operation ORPHEUS

Re vehicle replacements:  FWIW I lost both recon vehicles in Mission 1, but they seem to both be back for Mission 3.  Maybe there would have been 4 recon BMP's in Mission 3 had I not lost 2 in Mission 1?  I had no recon vehicles in Mission 2.  But, I did not lose any recon passengers in Mission 1, so one would have expected them to appear on foot in later missions if the vehicles were not replaced.  

My dilemma is whether to carry on and see what happens or redo.  Ideally one should not engage the early blocking forces at all since they are not objectives to be captured. 

Alternative strategies (hope I got the compass coordinates right):

1) For the N road, do a "Thunder Run" and just run FAST down the roads firing at all the central buildings and hope no casualties until we get closer to an objective and then do an assault.  Problem with that is that if a vehicle is disabled it will cause a traffic jam and the following vehicles would be sitting ducks.

2) Similar challenges for the southern road.

3) Try and make it through the woods N of the central buildings so one is out of sight of the central map buildings and head for the Northern objective directly.  Problem with that is that it is very restrictive LOS and great for enemy ambushes, plus we are told there are mines "between the checkpoints".  The question is what locations does "between" actually cover.  Maybe there are no mines until one gets actually between the checkpoints as opposed to "around or in front of".  

4) Do not attempt to go down either road, but concentrate both companies and head west along the southern map edge and then head N to the main objective which to save Eurypades (or whatever his name is).  

My sense is that option 4 is best - unless there are serious minefields along that route.  But, since one will not be "between" any of the checkpoints maybe that is the loophole that the designer has been made.

Edited by Erwin

6 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Re vehicle replacements:  FWIW I lost both recon vehicles in Mission 1, but they seem to both be back for Mission 3.  Maybe there would have been 4 recon BMP's in Mission 3 had I not lost 2 in Mission 1?  I had no recon vehicles in Mission 2.  But, I did not lose any recon passengers in Mission 1, so one would have expected them to appear on foot in later missions if the vehicles were not replaced.  

Recon are only in mission 1 and 3, as you said the troops should have appear on foot...It's a bug, nothing I can do i'm afraid...strange bug tho. 

Am a little burned out on testing, but sure, send it along.  

BTW:  My new strategy is working well so far.

********** POSSIBLE SPOILERS ***********

Playing/WEGO Elite.  So far with about 44 minutes used:

It seems that one has to avoid the roads. 

Northern company:  Headed NW to the N edge and took out the buildings there and then the northern checkpoint.  Accomplished in less than 30 minutes.  Then the company headed SW to take out the center map checkpoint.  Got casualties from mines that are between the checkpoint and the N. map edge where I wasn't expecting any, plus in the woods on the way to the center map checkpoint.  Seems it's best to keep inf mounted as much as possible.  Fortunately have not encountered any enemy other than at the checkpoints.  About 43-44 mins to take the central objective.

Southern Company:  Headed S and then W to take out the large buildings near the S map edge.  Shot up some technicals that could be seen from the top floors of the large buildings.  Lost my FO leader.  But, then most artillery being used to safeguard the VIP in the "fort".  Then a platoon headed S to capture the southernmost checkpoint around the 43-44 minutes mark matching the N. company accomplishment nicely.  Some damage to BMP's from mines.  Lost 1 BMP, but not sure to what.  Didn't see any ATGM's.  Don't see any mine marker under it.  

The VIP and bodyguard have taken most (2/3-3/4) casualties.  But after about 20 minutes of enemy assaults in which all of the enemy were killed, the enemy became quiet and only snipes occasionally form the numerous snipers to the East and South.  It was important to have the arty firing 1 tube on HARASS for MAX in the entrance to the "fort".  The enemy tank hasn't been seen since the start.  I re-positioned the bunker so it could not be easily killed by the tank, but I think an RPG got it and all team KIA.

do you have some screenshots ? I didn't get your last sentence, what is "bunker" ? 

Regarding the testing, i do not want to burn you more than you already are :) i will find other guinea pig no worries (I just discover than in English you used the name of an actual animal for that meaning xD). 

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

The wooden "blockhouses" manned with a team and MG.  I can't recall what you called them...  

Did you mean the bunker at the palace . Normally you should not be able to "move" or reoriented bunker other than the one at the place(and it's not even sure). Or maybe I still do not understand hahaha xD Any way, hope you have fun and hope you win this time :) 

Yes, the bunker manned by the bodyguards.  It died very easily despite me moving it to what I thought was a good place.  As an experiment I CF'd after 43 minutes and got a Major Victory.  However, obviously the primary objective of rescuing Orpheus/VIP was nowhere near completed and I can see why one needs the extra 1 hour 17 minutes.  Assaulting through the town to reach Orpheus/VIP looks like it could get very nasty.  My suggestion is that one should accomplish that rescue/link-up to get any sort of victory.

It wasn't clear in the briefing - is one also supposed to try and exit Orpheus/VIP at the exit zone on the east map edge? 

The idea is to extract the VIP yes, or at least beat all the rebels and keep him alive. I think it's up to the player to play until that point and not to CF before, but you right maybe something can be done regarding victory condition to force that(if he died, it's a lose tho).  

Enjoy mission 4 ^^ it will be hell of a ride(normally) ;) 

• 2 months later...

Am impressed you achieved objectives after only 15 minutes.  I recall taking almost all the time.  IIRC I lost fewer men, but maybe 2 BMPs also.

Also interesting that around 55 secs in, the massed fire of the BMP's does appear to destroy some trees where the enemy AT team was hiding. 

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Am impressed you achieved objectives after only 15 minutes.  I recall taking almost all the time.  IIRC I lost fewer men, but maybe 2 BMPs also.

Also interesting that around 55 secs in, the massed fire of the BMP's does appear to destroy some trees where the enemy AT team was hiding. 

It took 37mins to force a surrender... many, many trees were destroyed or stripped of foilage.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, 37mm said:

Waaaou ! Well done ! Great vid ! 

On 7/5/2021 at 3:45 PM, Erwin said:

I recall the vehicles are not replaced in the campaign.  Can't recall about inf.  Hope you do not regret the inf losses later in the campaign.  

Very good and entertaining campaign btw.

I took a break from this xnt campaign during the very long Mission 3.  It's a very good mission but quite exhausting due to trying to reduce friendly casualties - esp vehicles.

********* SPOILER **********

The objective is to rescue the VIP holed up on the far side of the (large) map) and (IIRC) moving him to the exit zone.  However, one can win and move on to the next mission by simply destroying enuff enemy and accomplishing some sub-objectives along the way. It's a tough (IIRC 2 hour) mission if one needs to keep casualties low.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:38 AM, storm95 said:

Operation Orpheus not showing up in Campaign folder after extraction. Size of file after download is 822KB is this correct ? Thanks

Ever fixed it? This cam isn't showing in my list either. Got all modules installed and activated.

Edit: Nevermind forgot to patch on my clean install... doh!

Edited by MeatEtr

• 2 months later...

I'm half way through the third mission at the moment and seem to have an issue, the briefing states we should receive three batteries of artillery, but they haven't shown up.....The Militia reinforcements have already arrived and I'm wondering when the guns will turn up?

Don't fancy driving BMPs into that town without artillery support!  :unsure:

Many thanks to Squarehead, we exchange a lot on the particular mission and from what I saw he did very good, but the challenge was maybe a bit too steep with 3 battery of art missing :) Gratulation for those who manage without, must have be very painful. 

The new version is available at this adress : https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cm-shock-force-2-campaigns/to-al-hell-and-back-v2/ 

It was bootie who published the fist so i do not have the access to remove/replace the previous version. 

I still think it can be done without the arty, but I kinda waited around for it to turn up.....If I'd pushed on at thet point rather than waiting the extra turns for reinforcement I reckon I could do it with time to spare but casualties would be pretty high (as they are now).

Even so the arty makes sense and that beautiful city is just crying out for a good stonk!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...