Recommended video watching Thread

Not much to look at, just a staff map. The title "Location of troops in the Western theater of war on D + 18"

Staff Map

A map from the early 1980s. In this scenario, NATO troops are doing quite well. Weapons of mass destruction are in use. In 1980 I was 7 years old, there is a blue mushroom in the place where I lived with the description 150 kt - airburst 8.10 am 🙂

On 2/20/2021 at 9:43 PM, A co said:

If you can find it- a great film to get in the mood for this game is the documentary 'Manoeuvre' by Wiseman. It follows a US armored unit through a NATO exercise in Germany in about 1979. Sadly I can't turn it up on the web at the  moment. Quite a good portrait of the Army and the officers and men of the era, I think, tho it was a few years earlier than my service. 

It can be watched here.   https://www.kanopy.com/product/manoeuvre    You must have a Library Card or University Login to watch it.

Another Soviet movie, V zone osobogo vnimaniia, released in 1978:

В зоне особого внимания (боевик, реж. Андрей Малюков, 1977 г.) - YouTube

and its sequel Otvetnyi Khod (1981):

Ответный ход (боевик, реж. Михаил Туманишвили, 1981 г.) - YouTube

Basically it's VDV (and naval infantry) galore! 😄
I'm amazed at the amount of details one can gather in some scenes of these movies, considering the typical level of "discretion" in the USSR about military equipment.

The 2001 series Red Cap follows RMP investigators stationed in Germany. The setting is right for CMCW, even if the time period is closer to CMSF. (There's also a 1960s series of the same name, starring John Thaw, well before his days as Morse, but I've never been able to find episodes.)

Edited to add: I think the series is terrible, but even terrible television has its place.

Edited by marais

On 4/26/2021 at 6:02 AM, Combatintman said:

@marais I recall hanging around at Forward Mounting Centre at South Cerney many years ago and read something about the Red Cap team doing filming/research there for the series.  The comment was that Tamzin Outhwaite could never play an RMP character convincingly because "she was attractive, intelligent and welcome in the unit."

Hah! RMP not thought of favorably, I take it?