Any new engine features?

Wodin

Often a title release is accompanied by a patch download for the other titles to keep the game engine up-to-date across the board. Charles may have been monkeying with game engine, necessitating game patches. I wouldn't know what he's been doing 'under the hood', though.

Artillery delivered cluster mines was discussed and was deemed inappropriate (or unworkable) for the game. I'm trying to recall the discussion. The opinion was scatterable mines would be dropped where US forces weren't as area denial munitions. They wouldn't be dropped along the forward line of contact.

Edited by MikeyD

1 hour ago, Wodin said:

ANything new in game thats non game specific and will be released in patches to update the other games? New animations, improved tac ai etc etc?

DPICM/ cluster munitions for artillery and aircraft, respectively. I'm not sure if it qualifies as an engine improvement, but it is certainly a new feature. Highly requested by the community as well, and will be a big game changer for tactical battles. I have no idea if it is going to make its way to the other modern titles. That decision/discussion is above my paygrade. Although I will say that I think it is reasonable to expect it to eventually make it there. 

Otherwise, there are no major engine upgrades coming with CMCW.

50 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm having difficulty finding a date.....1980s is about as close as I'm seeing (RAAM, ADAM etc.), can anyone narrow it down a bit?

@MikeyD @The_Capt @Bil Hardenberger

PS - I think you are right, I'm not seeing much prior to 1987.....Still looking.  :rolleyes:

FASCAM is another thing that falls outside the scope of CM. A FASCAM fire mission would literally take an hour to call in, it is not something that an artillery battery can just be given a map coordinate and then fire at. There are a ton of different variables that go into it. In CM it is best simulated by having a minefield already present on the battlefield and labeling it FASCAM. In fact, there is a scenario that essentially does just that, but I won't say more so I don't spoil the surprise. 

Those FASCAM missions when I was in FA during this period were more to fire into the rear to prevent the second/third line units from reinforcing the lead regiment. A way to at least temporarily isolate the lead unit. That would be beyond the opposite "board" edge of the scenario.

12 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

DPICM/ cluster munitions for artillery and aircraft, respectively. I'm not sure if it qualifies as an engine improvement, but it is certainly a new feature. Highly requested by the community as well, and will be a big game changer for tactical battles. I have no idea if it is going to make its way to the other modern titles. That decision/discussion is above my paygrade. Although I will say that I think it is reasonable to expect it to eventually make it there. 

Otherwise, there are no major engine upgrades coming with CMCW.

FASCAM is another thing that falls outside the scope of CM. A FASCAM fire mission would literally take an hour to call in, it is not something that an artillery battery can just be given a map coordinate and then fire at. There are a ton of different variables that go into it. In CM it is best simulated by having a minefield already present on the battlefield and labeling it FASCAM. In fact, there is a scenario that essentially does just that, but I won't say more so I don't spoil the surprise. 

I would just like to see a new minefield type in the editor: surface-laid.  Easier to spot and clear but possibly also “cheaper” from a points perspective.

16 hours ago, Ryujin said:

think the current timeframe is before artillery delivered mines. But maybe in an module or some air dropped mines if that's within the scope of a cm battle. 

Not sure about artillery delivered mines, but from 1981 onwards, the Bundeswehr used the M-548A1-G to produce quick minefields. It could deploy 600 antitank mines on a 1500m long and 50m whide strip of land within 5 minutes. But of course, the Bundeswehr is not respresented yet. The vehicle itself is American and based on the M113, but not sure about the mine-thrower-unit?

1200px-Minenwerfer_Skorpion_01.JPG

1 hour ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Not sure about artillery delivered mines, but from 1981 onwards, the Bundeswehr used the M-548A1-G to produce quick minefields. It could deploy 600 antitank mines on a 1500m long and 50m whide strip of land within 5 minutes. But of course, the Bundeswehr is not respresented yet. The vehicle itself is American and based on the M113, but not sure about the mine-thrower-unit?

1200px-Minenwerfer_Skorpion_01.JPG

The British Army had something similar.  I trained on it back in early 81.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L10_Ranger_Anti-Personnel_mine

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I may be wrong (I often am) but I think CMSF2 is put to bed, finished, complete.

That would be a shame, it could be improved quite a bit with not too many tweaks, the TOE options are awesome already (although cluster munitions might be fun).....I'm mostly thinking in terms of giving the Syrians better comms and giving the Uncons some comms.

12 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Those are cool but I would assume they would almost always deploy the mines and be gone before the enemy approached within shooting distance. One must of course always choose what to prioritize from a long wishlist.

11 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Completely agree. These things would be no where near the shooting. 

Not necessarily so - the Ranger's replacement, Shielder VLSMS mounted on a CVR(T) chassis regularly featured close to the action in the CPXs I used to run as an Observer Controller at the British Army's Command and Staff Trainer in the late 90s/early 00s.  Our Engineer Observer Controller, who was a US exchange officer, used to bang his head off solid objects regularly at the inability of Royal Engineers officers to be able to cue Shielder so that it scooted to its position, deployed its minefield and scooted away before getting smacked by the enemy.  A simple time distance problem that a Decision Support Overlay was explicitly designed to solve but was rarely the case because folks didn't understand the timelines or because the Battlegroup Intelligence Officer's enemy situation template was gash.  On the other hand, the enemy commander - (yours truly) had great fun whacking Shielders.

Sort of like this ...

Shielder.thumb.jpg.bac6005f4a18d7882191a1167cc007d5.jpg

Edited by Combatintman