A must buy

Wodin

I have to agree, partly because of the Bil thing of course :)

This is the first Combat Mission title I have been excited about since Red Thunder, and no need to say how long ago that was.

It appeals to me because it features such well-matched adversaries in a conflict that never flared up. And it focuses on forces that are asymmetric in a number of ways. Nothing like Shock Force of course, but asymmetrical combat is highly appealing for me. Different doctrines clashing.

And because the cold war did not go hot, this game will be free of the constraints of history. It's not tethered to historical battles and outcomes, and instead is all what-if. I've often said that as a student of this history I prefer what-if generators. I know what happened in real life, I'd prefer in some ways to war-game out other situations and scenarios. The historical Combat Mission titles have avoided this to a large degree, and understandably so. But Cold War has such massive latitude for campaign and scenario design as a result. This is exciting and I cannot wait to see how it shakes out.

I think this is an important game, because it is not just some hypothetical war, it is THE hypothetical war.
Most of the military equipment used nowadays goes back to this hypothetical warm and this counts for both sides of a conflict. Only slowly we get a shift towards modern asymetrical warfare against unconventional forces.

Most existing vehicles, planes, guns, atgms, equipment were designed to meet there, at this moment when the cold war would have gotten hot.

This stuff was not created to be used in Afghanistan or Syria, but to be used in central Europe. In the end, it was used in other wars and conflicts, because it was available, because everyone was preparing for this one war that never happened.

1980 falls 35 years after 1945 and 41 years before 2021. So its closer to WWII than it is to 'modern'. And in concept its very much a continuation of the regional dynamics that drove European hostilities in WWII. Cold War is basically 'WWII endgame'. The Cold War generals were (generally speaking) former WWII footsoldiers. We've seen this pattern more recently as Pentagon policy into the early 2000s was formed largely by generals with Vietnam experience, and Pentagon policy into 2020 was formed by Gulf War veterans.

14 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

1980 falls 35 years after 1945 and 41 years before 2021. So its closer to WWII than it is to 'modern'.

When it comes to time, yes. But technology doesn´t develop itself, but change and development is driven by the necessaty to overcome a problem. The problem was, how to stay on top if the cold war gets hot, and a lot of energy went into it. Without that problem, the progress in military development slowed down, until after the the 9th of September 2001, was a different problem to resolve.

19 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

1980 falls 35 years after 1945 and 41 years before 2021. So its closer to WWII than it is to 'modern'. And in concept its very much a continuation of the regional dynamics that drove European hostilities in WWII. Cold War is basically 'WWII endgame'. The Cold War generals were (generally speaking) former WWII footsoldiers. We've seen this pattern more recently as Pentagon policy into the early 2000s was formed largely by generals with Vietnam experience, and Pentagon policy into 2020 was formed by Gulf War veterans.

Lol that felt strange being born in 1982, never thought about it that way. But indeed the end WW2 was closer to my birth compared to now, although not by much.

No worries, TBH while it was a typically glib statement, I suspect there is some real truth in it.....I grew up during the original cold war and TBH my fondest memory is of it ending: 

The sheer joy of those days & weeks!  TBH we squandered a golden opportunity, by & large as the result of pure greed on the part of those who should have known better.  :rolleyes:

But all that's a very long way from the Fulda Gap.  ;)

I am old enough to remember when Nixon was President and the Vietnam war was still going on...

...but I digress. What I remember most vividly about the Cold War was the period in 1981-83 when tensions between the U.S. and U.S.S.R. were very high and a lot of people actually thought a nuclear war could break out. Not the good old days by any means.

Back to the game, one thing which a lot of CM players will like is that the Tank vs Tank combat is very balanced. This is not WW2 where U.S. tanks are going up against much better German tanks or CMSF/CMBS where U.S. Abrams dominate the battlefield.

M60/M1 vs T-62/64/80 is pretty well balanced. Each side has strengths and weaknesses and one side does not dominate the other which puts a premium on...wait for it...tactics!

another plus for the red side...no Javelins! 😎

2 minutes ago, Bufo said:

I was waiting for this, in cmbs it drove me crazy...

But damn wasn't it satisfying when you killed one, preferably with a precision mortar round, just to make a point.  :P

48 minutes ago, Sgt Joch said:

I am old enough to remember when Nixon was President and the Vietnam war was still going on...

Me too.....Just about.

But I'm odd like that, I can remember watching the first moon landing.....I was six months old.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

But damn wasn't it satisfying when you killed one, preferably with a precision mortar round, just to make a point.  :P

I wanted to drive them over with a tank and make them flat, but the game engine didn't allow it 😁

What was the range vs. blast radius (roughly)?  I'd imagine shoot & scoot would be kind of high up the training drill (Or maybe shoot & dig a hole?).  :P

PS - Annie wasn't all that big, 280mm, it's basically a sexed up German railway gun.....Kondensator was enormous, 406mm, but I suspect that was more down to issues with miniaturising the nukes than any real desire for a whopping gun.  ;)

PPS - That said, the Soviets clearly weren't averse to whopping guns as they also made the 420mm Oka, which didn't fire nukes:

1280px-2B1_oka.jpg

Not that you'd notice much difference if the shell actually hit you!  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Oh, I believe they did add a monster cannon to the artillery list just for fun. I can't remember what it was... Ah, the 240mm SP mortar 2S4 Tulpan (Tulip). I haven't tried it out yet. The mortar was nuclear and chemical capable. 9,700m range according to a 1982 Defense Intelligence agency book at my elbow. An atrociously slow ROF but it should pack a big wallop.

2s4-image21.jpg

28 minutes ago, Thomm said:

This all means nothing unless shockwaves make their comeback!

I remember those from the first preview pics of CMSF1 back around 2007.  IIRC got removed cos used too much processing power.  Wonder if nowadays our sytems can handle that.  Would be good to have that effect.