Pre-reading recommendations

liamb

Triggered by a discussion in another thread, I remembered this:

Reminds me too: Switzerland even published a “Zivilverteidigungs-Booklet“ in the 60‘s, trying to prepare people for a Guerilla warfare. Kind of a Boy Scout manual with a “Third World War” story line. Not surprisingly, the evil invaders came from the East and relief finally came from western airborne troops landing in the last moment.

Downloadable here and a good read from fortunately long gone times:

http://www.libenter.ch/090610_zivilverteidigung_1969_v1.4_de.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Erwin said:

didn't d/l for me.  :(

That's odd. I just tried the link I posted again and it downloaded right away. Mind you when  I downloaded it originally, it went to my pictures file instead of downloads. I should have mentioned that.

Edited by z1812
correction

Been lurking for a while and decided to sign up for the forums and hopefully add to the discussion since I'm all hyped up for CM:CW!

I was browsing the Googles and found this bibliography file of 10 Cold War related books and figured I should share. I believe almost all of these have already been mentioned, but I like the brief description for each book. 

I'd like to make it clear that I did not make this list - I'm just sharing (and formatted and edited it a tiny bit to make it easier to read!).

https://img.lib.msu.edu/general/events/contest/2006/2006GrevstadBib.pdf  written by Ted Grevstad-Nordbrock

For those who don't want to click away: copy/paste below the break - book names are in bold, author names in italics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ten Literary Accounts of a War that Was Never Fought”

Ted Grevstad-Nordbrock

Bibliography List:

- World War 3. Bidwell, Sheldon, ed. (1978).
Though non-fictional, Sheldon's work takes on an air of fiction when it hypothesizes about how a third world war in Europe might realistically start, and how it would play out. Like other books in this collection, slogging but indecisive conventional warfare inevitably leads to the use of nuclear weapons.

- Red Storm Rising. Clancy, Tom. (1986).
Clancy is, of course, the best-known author of the group included here. This work, one of his earliest, describes a NATO-Warsaw Pact conflict on land and on the seas.

- Armor at Fulda Gap: A Visual Novel of the War of Tomorrow. Cook, J. L. (1990).
Cook's illustrated work is an unusual mix of fact and fiction-of real-world armaments that would have been used to fight a third world war as well as fantastic imaginings of what the near future might hold. The title of the book makes reference to two common themes in the theory and literature describing a NATO-Warsaw Pact confrontation in Europe: the Fulda Gap, a historical passage-a "gap" in the otherwise rough terrain-from eastern Europe to the west, named after the German city; and armor, the tanks and mechanized vehicles that would contend for this strategic region.

- Team YankeeCoyle, Harold. (1987).
This best-selling work intimately chronicles the efforts of an American tank platoon in defending a small swath of West Germany during a Warsaw Pact invasion. The story is based on the Hackett's The Third World War: August 1985, which Coyle acknowledges in his introduction.

- The Third World War: August 1985Hackett, John, General Sir. (1978). 
This influential account of World War III is told by a British general. The illustrated edition features images of the battles, including the two terminal moments of the short war: nuclear strikes on Birmingham, England and Minsk.

- The Third World War: The Untold StoryHackett, John, General Sir. (1982).
 Hackett's follow-up fleshes out and expands the narrative begun in "August 1985."

- First Clash: Combat Close-Up in World War ThreeMacksey, Kenneth (1984)
First Clash offers a Canadian take on NATO's efforts to repulse the Red Army during its invasion of West Germany. That this fiction is based in fact is emphasized through the use of annotated maps, images, and text boxes that contain discursive notes on tactics, armament, military organization, etc.

- The War That Never WasPalmer, Michael A. (1994).
Written after the Cold War ended, this book describes World War III on a global scale (a war that "never was"), as told by a fictional Russian character to his old enemy and new ally: an American.

- Red Army. Peters, Ralph. (1989).
Peters's book is unique in that it tells the story of a conflict in Europe from the perspective of soldiers in the Red Army. This is perhaps one of the best written of the books of this genre.

- Red ThrustZaloga, S. J. (1989). 
Though no less fictional than any of the other works included here, Zaloga's text reads almost like a casebook. He offers a series of hypothetical NATO-Warsaw Pact battle scenarios in Western Europe, each with an accompanying postmortem: tactical strengths, weaknesses, and what might have been done by military leaders to affect a different outcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps some, and also thanks for all of the recommendations so far. I currently have a few of these on the way!

-RT

Edited by RescueToaster
Formatting issues and trimmed some fat

1 hour ago, RescueToaster said:

Been lurking for a while and decided to sign up for the forums and hopefully add to the discussion since I'm all hyped up for CM:CW!

I was browsing the Googles and found this bibliography file of 10 Cold War related books and figured I should share. I believe almost all of these have already been mentioned, but I like the brief description for each book. 

I'd like to make it clear that I did not make this list - I'm just sharing (and formatted and edited it a tiny bit to make it easier to read!).

https://img.lib.msu.edu/general/events/contest/2006/2006GrevstadBib.pdf  written by Ted Grevstad-Nordbrock

For those who don't want to click away: copy/paste below the break - book names are in bold, author names in italics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ten Literary Accounts of a War that Was Never Fought”

Ted Grevstad-Nordbrock

Bibliography List:

- World War 3. Bidwell, Sheldon, ed. (1978).
Though non-fictional, Sheldon's work takes on an air of fiction when it hypothesizes about how a third world war in Europe might realistically start, and how it would play out. Like other books in this collection, slogging but indecisive conventional warfare inevitably leads to the use of nuclear weapons.

- Red Storm Rising. Clancy, Tom. (1986).
Clancy is, of course, the best-known author of the group included here. This work, one of his earliest, describes a NATO-Warsaw Pact conflict on land and on the seas.

- Armor at Fulda Gap: A Visual Novel of the War of Tomorrow. Cook, J. L. (1990).
Cook's illustrated work is an unusual mix of fact and fiction-of real-world armaments that would have been used to fight a third world war as well as fantastic imaginings of what the near future might hold. The title of the book makes reference to two common themes in the theory and literature describing a NATO-Warsaw Pact confrontation in Europe: the Fulda Gap, a historical passage-a "gap" in the otherwise rough terrain-from eastern Europe to the west, named after the German city; and armor, the tanks and mechanized vehicles that would contend for this strategic region.

- Team YankeeCoyle, Harold. (1987).
This best-selling work intimately chronicles the efforts of an American tank platoon in defending a small swath of West Germany during a Warsaw Pact invasion. The story is based on the Hackett's The Third World War: August 1985, which Coyle acknowledges in his introduction.

- The Third World War: August 1985Hackett, John, General Sir. (1978). 
This influential account of World War III is told by a British general. The illustrated edition features images of the battles, including the two terminal moments of the short war: nuclear strikes on Birmingham, England and Minsk.

- The Third World War: The Untold StoryHackett, John, General Sir. (1982).
 Hackett's follow-up fleshes out and expands the narrative begun in "August 1985."

- First Clash: Combat Close-Up in World War ThreeMacksey, Kenneth (1984)
First Clash offers a Canadian take on NATO's efforts to repulse the Red Army during its invasion of West Germany. That this fiction is based in fact is emphasized through the use of annotated maps, images, and text boxes that contain discursive notes on tactics, armament, military organization, etc.

- The War That Never WasPalmer, Michael A. (1994).
Written after the Cold War ended, this book describes World War III on a global scale (a war that "never was"), as told by a fictional Russian character to his old enemy and new ally: an American.

- Red Army. Peters, Ralph. (1989).
Peters's book is unique in that it tells the story of a conflict in Europe from the perspective of soldiers in the Red Army. This is perhaps one of the best written of the books of this genre.

- Red ThrustZaloga, S. J. (1989). 
Though no less fictional than any of the other works included here, Zaloga's text reads almost like a casebook. He offers a series of hypothetical NATO-Warsaw Pact battle scenarios in Western Europe, each with an accompanying postmortem: tactical strengths, weaknesses, and what might have been done by military leaders to affect a different outcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps some, and also thanks for all of the recommendations so far. I currently have a few of these on the way!

-RT

Great list! Welcome aboard!

17 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Welcome Mr. Toaster, and thanks for the listing!

16 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Great list! Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

While I'm not usually an active forum user, I do plan to stick around for quite a while.  I'm usually the quiet type, but when I get comfortable in a new setting and interested in a specific subject, people seemingly can't wait for me to shut up 😉

• 2 months later...

“Dragons at War” by Dan Bolger. Oct, 1982 rotation at the NTC. Bolger was Capt. of B Co, 2-64 at the time and he describes the day-by-day of his units’ two week rotation. The make up of a Soviet MRR, and OPFOR’s role and methodology in representing it, are covered in fairly good detail.

Although not appropriate in time period or content regarding CMCW, another good book that he wrote was,”The Battle for Hunger Hill.” Lt Col Bolger describes two rotations at the JRTC, Ft Polk in 1994 and 1995 while he commanded 1-327 Infantry. 

• 4 months later...