U.S. Thread - CM Cold War - BETA AAR - Battle of Dolbach Heights 1980

“Here, across death’s other river, the Tartar horsemen shake their spears.”

T.S. Eliot

This BETA game is being played against Warren (The_Capt), and we are very familiar with each other’s style, strengths and weaknesses as we’ve been playing CM against each other for close to 20 years now.

CM Cold War was our brainchild and has been on our wargame design table, off and on, for eight years now, but now it is a real thing.  You’re welcome.  :D  With that said it is only fitting that Warren and I play in this BETA AAR.  We haven’t played in public since our original CMBN BETA AAR, Not your Father’s Combat Mission

I hope you enjoy the ride, and welcome to the COLD WAR!!

Post01_A_Logo.png

Sidebar!  I strictly use the Movie Mode when I play so all of my screenshots use that feature.  I don't mean it to insult anybody, but I just think the game looks better.

Meeting Engagement at Dolbach Heights, 1980

When Warren and I laid out the design for this game we wanted it to be primarily and ultimately a sandbox for experimentation and reflection.  A tool to test the tactical theories that were prevalent at that time.  Time… yes, we also wanted to be able to examine the different sides from different time perspectives, and this release, the base game in the CM Cold War series, contains the years 1979 to 1982.  We also only cover the months March to October, mainly so we didn’t have to generate winter textures and models which would have been one feature too many.

This particular scenario is one that Warren and I threw together that we thought would be fun to play and show off.  The map is from the US Campaign and when you play that you will see this map eventually.  I will start my METT-T analysis in my next post, but for now, sit back, enjoy the existence of this game, and don’t go away!

Bil

Post01_B_Logo.png

CONTENTS:

Edited by Bil Hardenberger
Changed title so I wouldn't accidentally select the other thread!

Great stuff Bil, thanks for yours and the Capt's inspiration and looking forward to what will be my first post-WW2 title! 

Now could you just summarise the pros and cons of every Cold War unit I'm likely to meet?  I know some, I was around at the time, but not in anywhere enough detail 😉.

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

That's an M60A1 RISE version in th screenshot but I don't know which. Its the difference between firing APDS and firing fist generation tungsten M735 APFSDS.

I'll get into that of course, but those are M-60A1 (RISE+) tanks. 

I am actually fielding, M-60A1, M-60A1 (RISE), and M-60A1 (RISE+) in this battle.

Bil

47 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

A tool to test the tactical theories that were prevalent at that time.  Time… yes, we also wanted to be able to examine the different sides from different time perspectives, and this release, the base game in the CM Cold War series, contains the years 1979 to 1982

By the way, how is that going to play out? Is there going to be house rules to limit command and control capabilities in some way? In a completely different setting, I recently made a statement along the lines that:  "the perception I get from reading stuff written at the time, often considering Warsaw Pact militaries to be some kind of fearsome beast/machine that could somehow be led to its demise via clever tricks, gadgets and fancy footwork was a cozy notion which fortunately nobody had to find the hard way whether it was right or not".

Edited by BletchleyGeek

METT-T Analysis

MISSION

“The Army I grew up in was focused on high-intensity conflict against a peer competitor called the Soviet Union.”

Mark Esper

Mission:  Seize and control the village of Dolbach that sits along an important Main Supply Route (MSR) which runs east to west just north of this village.  Advance to contact and “convince” the Soviets that this is not the village they are looking for.

I think Warren once described this type of fight as "two fat men fighting over a donut".  ;)  

Post02_A_Logo.png

So the mission is simple... at least it sounds simple.  However this is 1980 and the US does not have the technical advantages they will have a mere two years later. 

“Everything is very simple in war, but the simplest thing is difficult.”

von Clausewitz

This is basically a meeting engagement, and our forces will be, in numbers at least, relatively balanced.  However there is a capability gap at this point in time in favor of the Soviets as you will discover.  

Bil

1 hour ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

However there is a capability gap at this point in time in favor of the Soviets as you will discover.

Funky armour & 125mm smoothbores.....Your M60s will need to be crafty (I suspect you'll probably manage that TBH).  ;)

PS - Forgot about the TLATGMs too.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

@Bil HardenbergerEight year project - now that's what I call dedication. So I assume a lot of love and tender care has gone into the project and the rest of us can enjoy the ride. Much appreciated!

I'm not sure if my eyes deceive me, but is the movie mode less desaturated than in the WWII titles? Can't say I have ever tried it in the modern titles. I also like a little less saturated look to the games but makes the setting on my monitor. Ideally the movie mode could be set in incremental steps.

2 minutes ago, rocketman said:

@Bil HardenbergerEight year project - now that's what I call dedication. So I assume a lot of love and tender care has gone into the project and the rest of us can enjoy the ride. Much appreciated!

Appreciate your appreciation... it was mostly off than on in those eight years... got hot and very ON over the past couple of years.  :)  

Bil

5 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Appreciate your appreciation... it was mostly off than on in those eight years... got hot and very ON over the past couple of years.  :)  

Bil

well thank you for the dedication.  This was the focus of most of my boardgame purchases.  Gawd so many.  MBT, IDF, Air and Armor and those were just the tactical.  Went all the way up to The Next War and NATO.  Even went so far as to include 2nd Fleet to determine if NATO convoys would be able to cross the Atlantic....  This is my retirement year and you gave me the game I've waited decades for Bil/Capt.  Nice timing, how did you know?

Where's my Bundeswehr? 😁

Nah, my dog and my wife in turn came to check on me due to my squeals of excitement over seeing this. I'm very excited to see this AAR pan out, especially with your exquisite tactical eye, Bil!

The marketing page mentions different C2 systems between the forces. Is this something that might be demonstrated in this AAR (or anything different than what we've already seen like in CMRT?)

10 minutes ago, HerrTom said:

Nah, my dog and my wife in turn came to check on me due to my squeals of excitement over seeing this.

Always the dog first isn't it.....If he doesn't come back, then the missus comes to check (on him, I strongly suspect).  :rolleyes:

:P

:D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

METT-T Analysis

ENEMY

“Remember, me lad, though the Irish fight well, the Rooshian artillery’s hotter ‘n hell.”

The Kerry Recruit – 1855 Folksong

Enemy:  The expected enemy force consists of perhaps a Reconnaissance Company and an FSE with unknown follow-on forces, but Intelligence says that the closest supporting Soviet formation is a Reserve Tank Battalion, so we might see elements of that formation come in as a reinforcement. 

Enemy_Logo.png

Suspected enemy Order of Battle (OB):

• Reconnaissance Company
    • x2 Recon Platoons on BMP 1(type?)
    • x1 Tank Platoon (x3 tanks) – unknown type (possible T-64A or T-64B)
  • Possible Forward Security Element (FSE)
    • x2 Mech Infantry Platoons on BMP 1(type?)
    • x1 Tank Platoon (x4 tanks)  – unknown type (possible T-64A or T-64B)
  • Follow on force – possible Reserve Tank Company?  Company (+)? – unknown type, (possible T-62) – possibly x10 tanks.
  • Available Support – unknown, but no enemy aircraft are expected in this battlespace.

Priority Intelligence Requirements (PIRs):

1. Where is the enemy’s main effort concentrated?
  2. Where is/are the enemy SBF position(s)?
  3. What is the size of the initial Soviet force?
    1. Where are enemy’s tanks?  This is a persistent PIR and should be kept updated throughout the action.
    2. What model tanks are in the Reconnaissance Company?
    1. What is the organization of the initial follow-on force?
    2.  What model tanks are in the initial follow-on force?
    1. What is the organization of any additional follow-on forces?
    2. What model tanks are in any additional follow-on forces?

Bil

40 minutes ago, sburke said:

well thank you for the dedication.  This was the focus of most of my boardgame purchases.  Gawd so many.  MBT, IDF, Air and Armor and those were just the tactical.  Went all the way up to The Next War and NATO.  Even went so far as to include 2nd Fleet to determine if NATO convoys would be able to cross the Atlantic....  This is my retirement year and you gave me the game I've waited decades for Bil/Capt.  Nice timing, how did you know?

Yeah, I owned and played all those titles minus 'Air and Armor.'  Swap that one out for 'Gulf Strike.'

'NATO' was real fun.  What was the title whose instructions for nuclear exchange read "Dose game board in kerosene and throw a match?"  

Edited by Megalon Jones