Reforger Nostalgia

MikeyD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

People have complained that CM doesn't look very convincing when played at camera level 3 or higher. Apparently the real world doesn't look very convincing viewed from that height, either. Just look at those trees, so unconvincing! ;)

Which mod is that Mikey?

(someone was going to ask 😉)

On 2/17/2021 at 1:22 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

That wasn't my impression of your fellow countrymen at the time. They were very motivated and trained very fanatically. We often met them in training manoeuvres and on other occassions and they weren't just preparing to 'slow down'. Together with (most) Dutch and British units stationed in West-Germany they were better trained and motivated than for example the US units.

Not saying US units were badly trained though, they were good as well. They would have been the decisive factor of course and we were very happy to have  them around. 🙂

In the mid-1980s, I had a US Army SECRET level study in my safe at work which concluded, following extensive analysis and wargaming, that the casualty rate for units in the Covering Force Battle would be 50%. Disturbing at best, to be sure, but vastly more distressing with a brother guarding the IGB as part of the 2/11 ACR!

Regards,

John Kettler

On 2/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, DerKommissar said:

Wishing for a Cold War prequel to Khabour Trail, following PPCLI and friends in Europe.

Grizzly.jpg

rC2t8f3C4qZs7szFcD2gieMJ0FRIFwEzYfd1Sqie

The Cold War was over before my friends and I were born. In a strange way, there is a second-hand nostalgia towards the time period. It could be our parents and grandparents telling stories about duck 'n' cover drills. It could also be that Cold War-era media (music, movies, shows, games, books, etc.) are culturally significant. I agree about the geopolitical world seeming to want an encore.

DerKommissar,

Harvard prof Tom Lehrer was in the US Army and wrote a bunch of Cold War themed songs, which you can find on YT, such as this classic.

PPCLI (Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry) AKA Princess Pats? Shall have to hunt down that film you mentioned.

Regards,

John Kettler 

On 2/18/2021 at 12:30 PM, Sequoia said:

Back in the late 70's the Cav battalion on my base of the 2nd ACR had this camo scheme of small black, brown, tan, and green squares on their vehicles. Our FA BN CO liked it so much he had us paint our vehicles in the same scheme. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.

Isn't that exactly the scheme that MIkeyD showed an M901 in on Page 1 of this thread?

Hvy4gij.jpg.9d04db06639e0771995938e6df98

Regards,

John Kettler

On 2/19/2021 at 12:27 PM, HUSKER2142 said:

By the way, yes, how did the German farmers feel about this ? Have they been compensated for their losses ? 

From everything I've read and heard from US people who served there, the German farmers were prompt to file damage claims and charged dearly for damaging their crops. Also, there were considerable limits on where our vehicles could go because of of various host nation considerations.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 2/23/2021 at 7:13 PM, danfrodo said:

speaking of 1973 war, did anyone watch Valley of Tears on HBO?  Some good tank action -- fast forward through the rest.  but they were using chieftans -- which I am sure we will see in a CMCW DLC one day.

Saw the series, and those were Centurions, not Chieftains. The IDF never had Chieftains. Here's an IDF Centurion from the Yom Kippur War. Offhand, Iran was the only foreign operator of the Chieftain.

centurion-tank-left-yom-kippur-war-tel-e

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 3/4/2021 at 6:28 PM, hank24 said:

Yes, it is the badge of 24. PzDiv, one of my uncles served in it, he was flown out of Stalingrad wounded and my grandfather was missing in action while serving in the artillery branch of this division 1945.

And now this is the color of the German recon forces, which I served in.

hank24,

Ah, yes, the Leaping Horseman, subject of a Jason Mark Stalingrad book I really need to read: Death of the Leaping Horseman.

Regards,

John Kettler

Brilliant song, wish we had more clever lyrics in music.

28 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

PPCLI (Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry) AKA Princess Pats? Shall have to hunt down that film you mentioned.

Not sure I mentioned a film, Khabour Trail is the Canadian campaign. There you do play as Patricia's, they were active during the Cold War-era too.

9 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Offhand, Iraq was the only foreign operator of the Chieftain.

I believe the only Chieftains the Iraqis had, were captured from Iran. AFIAK, Iran was the biggest importer of Chieftains -- and still maintains a sizable fleet.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:52 PM, MikeyD said:

camera 3 level.jpg

Wow! Sick diorama. Should work a bit on the foliage though. 😜

22 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Tanks of Iran - Wikipedia They mostly broke down, the Chieftains Iraq used were captured ones. The T72's they later purchased were more reliable. Armor and a powerful gun only is not enough you need reliable mobility. 

You are  absolutely right. Am so used to typing Iraq and not typing Iran that despite knowing it was Iran, out came Iraq. The Chieftains were bought under the Shah of Iran, who was quite the purchaser of sophisticated powerful weaponry.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Thanks to you, was able to fix the typo in time.

Edited by John Kettler

The Sagger AT missile could penetrate something like 400-430mm of armor. Roughly the same penetration ability of a baseline TOW. And a darned sight higher penetration than a Dragon.

About central Germany tree types. I had plans to do additional tree types like oak but I just didn't have the time (or stamina) to complete it. CMCW was produced on a break-neck timetable. I did manage to get US desert southwest mesquite trees into the NTC region. Including the thorns.

mesquite sample.jpg