Reforger Nostalgia

MikeyD

2 hours ago, markus544 said:

What moron would what to nuke Switzerland.  Oh the russkies.  Or East Germany maybe.  Cold war was nuts.

Officially neither the Army nor the State Council of the GDR had even the knowledge where exactly on GDR territory the soviet atom weapons where positioned. They had the MfS (stasi), of course.

But they where certainly not in the position to just nuke Switzerland.

2 hours ago, markus544 said:

What moron would what to nuke Switzerland.  Oh the russkies.  Or East Germany maybe.  Cold war was nuts.

Reminds me too: Switzerland even published a “Zivilverteidigungs-Booklet“ in the 60‘s, trying to prepare people for a Guerilla warfare. Kind of a Boy Scout manual with a “Third World War” story line. Not surprisingly, the evil invaders came from the East and relief finally came from western airborne troops landing in the last moment.

If you care, I can send you a PDF copy. Hm, perhaps I should post this in the recommended reading thread.

18 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Reminds me too: Switzerland even published a “Zivilverteidigungs-Booklet“ in the 60‘s, trying to prepare people for a Guerilla warfare. Kind of a Boy Scout manual with a “Third World War” story line. Not surprisingly, the evil invaders came from the East and relief finally came from western airborne troops landing in the last moment.

If you care, I can send you a PDF copy. Hm, perhaps I should post this in the recommended reading thread.

https://ia800207.us.archive.org/20/items/Der_Totale_Widerstand_Major_H._von_Dach_German/Der_Totale_Widerstand_Major_H._von_Dach_German.pdf

It was marked as the 'most dangerous book from switzerland ' from newspapers.

It is said, this one and "Der Stadtguerilla" where the books the Baader-Meinhof gang (Red Army Faction) got their practial knowledge from.

Edited by sawomi

3 minutes ago, sawomi said:

Well is not true that  Switzerland's population is armed to the teeth with firearms.. As I recall that country has one of the lowest murder rates in the world...

15 minutes ago, markus544 said:

Well is not true that  Switzerland's population is armed to the teeth with firearms.. As I recall that country has one of the lowest murder rates in the world...

They kinda tried to make the whole Swizz population in a kind of GLADIO stay-behind militia in the 1960's.

GDR had the Kampfgruppen der Arbeiterklasse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Groups_of_the_Working_Class

They are said to be one of the the reasons why in '89 there DDR regime gave in without a fight, because there  was a big part of the population practically trained in counterinsurgency street fighting. That would have become a 'counter'-counterinsurgency.

I hope they get included in a GDR DLC. 

Edited by sawomi

1 minute ago, markus544 said:

Hehehechuckle, no, not quite. Every service man (and basically every man is called in, with some exceptions), is entitled to keep his weapon after active service. Mostly assault rifles, but many rather choose a pistol. And nowadays many completely decline thankfully. The only obligation to keep your weapon (plus 10 bullets or so), is to participate in a yearly training shooting as long as you are in active reserve. In earlier days, the weapon had to be stored at home, nowadays it can be stored in an armoury.

As for the murder rates: Let’s call it mediocre. But certainly less than what we see in another big western democracy and practically no crazy mass shootings.

27 minutes ago, sawomi said:

https://ia800207.us.archive.org/20/items/Der_Totale_Widerstand_Major_H._von_Dach_German/Der_Totale_Widerstand_Major_H._von_Dach_German.pdf

It was marked as the 'most dangerous book from switzerland ' from newspapers.

It is said, this one and "Der Stadtguerilla" where the books the Baader-Meinhof gang (Red Army Faction) got their practial knowledge from.

Nope, this is what I meant:

http://www.libenter.ch/090610_zivilverteidigung_1969_v1.4_de.pdf

23 minutes ago, markus544 said:

I forgot to say: And you can’t buy assault rifles in your favourite supermarket here.

41 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

I forgot to say: And you can’t buy assault rifles in your favourite supermarket here.

I'm moving to swiss army knife land...As for the mass shootings.  That is mostly media hype...Check out Chicago  there is a mass shooting every freaking day there.

11 minutes ago, markus544 said:

I'm moving to swiss army knife land...As for the mass shootings.  That is mostly media hype...Check out Chicago  there is a mass shooting every freaking day there.

Is that not sort of a contradiction?😎

But anyway, I don’t want to start that discussion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, Lukevan16 said:

Not sure if this is from a Reforger exercise, but apparently the Canadians had this modified version of the FAL for SAW purposes back in these days. Thing looked pretty weird... 

Image result for canadian c2

On 2/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, Lukevan16 said:

Not sure if this is from a Reforger exercise, but apparently the Canadians had this modified version of the FAL for SAW purposes back in these days. Thing looked pretty weird... 

Image result for canadian c2

That's the FN C2, and we technically called it a Light Automatic Rifle. Kind of like an old US BAR, but with a 30 round box magazines. The ones my Militia unit had couldn't handle more than 28 rounds or they'd jam. The ones we had when I first joined were "0Lxxxx" numbers, so were among the first lot acquired by the Canadian Forces at a bet. Even had a ziggurat shaped butt catch on some of them.

We had 2 * C2s per 9 or 10 man Rifle section, or at least that was the idea, very much like a SWW Bren group except with double the firepower. E

It was even run by the Section 2 i/c like the Bren groups. Some units, like mine, imitated the US fireteam concept and split into 2 * 4 or 5 man fireteams. One run by the Sect. Commander, the other by the 2 i/c. My pals sure liked it as it was mostly reliable, unless it was one of the older clapped out ones that had parts fly or fall off when firing it. That was awkward, especially in deep snow.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:23 AM, Splinty said:

They loved it. They got paid very well for any lost crops. They loved it even more if one of their animals was hurt or killed. They got paid for the meat and or milk that animal would have produced, PLUS as many as 2 generations worth if the animal was part of the farmer's breeding stock, which somehow they always were.

Pals of mine who spoke German on REFORGER '82 had various requests to have their "panzer" (actually M113, but whatever) hit their fence or car too. Bit of a scam but people are the same the world over.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:25 PM, Sailor Malan2 said:

Really simplistic view of the causes of WW2. The Polish corridor was Hitler's excuse of the week for Sept 39. Could have been any number of causes, realistically from militarising the Rhineland in 36 on. 

There was so much more to it. This series is pretty good and covers a lot of the aspects of the SWW and it's sister series Between the Wars does a better job of the causes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1AejCL4DA7jYkZAELRhHQ

• 3 weeks later...