Reforger Nostalgia

MikeyD

Tried to find an accurate hit-list for the UK, but nothing I'd call plausible has come to light (could have sworn the (post?)Soviets declassified one).  :unsure:

What I did find was this:

The Containment Plan

A third plan was devised [but not revealed at the time]. People would be contained in cities by having the police and army close all roads out of the cities. If a city was destroyed the people in it would be destroyed as well and would not need to be fed. The people in the countryside would then have a chance of survival. There was a list of people who would be warned to evacuate before the barriers went up.

An added attraction of the plan was that most senior members of the government [politicians and civil servants] had houses outside cities. It was accepted that some people would escape but the vast majority would be locked in by barriers and traffic jams. The Containment Plan became unofficial government policy until the Cold War ended.

As that great British civil servant, Sir Humphrey Appleby, said – ‘The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless.”

https://calculating.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/uk-cold-war-evacuation-plans/

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I grew up during the Cold War, but I wasn't really scared. Not because I was fearless, but because we were in the vicinity of a complex of the defense industry and an airbase, so that I was sure that in a war case we would be a primary or secondary target and therefore would have had the matter quickly behind us ...

It helped, that I was young! 🙂

15 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

tumblr_plup7eH6VZ1v0uqbg_540.jpg

4 minutes ago, fireship4 said:

[Голос немецкого фермера] «Ублюдки в моей кукурузе! Это хорошая кукуруза! Зачем ты гонишь мою кукурузу!

By the way, yes, how did the German farmers feel about this ? Have they been compensated for their losses ? 

5 hours ago, HUSKER2142 said:

By the way, yes, how did the German farmers feel about this ? Have they been compensated for their losses ? 

Yep, my dad told us about how when they were on exercise there were a group that trailed behind inspecting and documenting damage for compensation of the locals.

1 hour ago, Lethaface said:

That's not corn 😜

29 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Corn is derived from the Dutch word 'Koren' which is Maiz in Dutch. He should have written wheat, barley, rye or whatever. Hard to tell the difference from this photograph.

Via Wiktionary:

ENGLISH

Etymology 1

From Middle English corn, from Old English corn, from Proto-Germanic *kurną, from Proto-Indo-European *ǵr̥h₂nóm (grain; worn-down), from *ǵerh₂- (grow old, mature). Cognate with Dutch koren, Low German Koorn, German Korn, Norwegian and Swedish korn; see also Albanian grurë[1], Russian зерно́ (zernó), Czech zrno, Latin grānum, Lithuanian žirnis and English grain.

In sense 'maize' a shortening from earlier Indian corn.

Noun

corn (usually uncountable, plural corns)

1. (Britain, uncountable) The main cereal plant grown for its grain in a given region, such as oats in parts of Scotland and Ireland, and wheat or barley in England and Wales. quotations ▼
  2. (US, Canada, Australia, uncountable) Maize, a grain crop of the species Zea mays. quotations ▼
  3. A grain or seed, especially of a cereal crop. quotations ▼
    He paid her the nominal fee of two corns of barley.
  4. A small, hard particle. quotations ▼

DUTCH

Etymology 1

From Middle Dutch koren, corn, from Old Dutch korn, coren, from Proto-Germanic *kurną, from Proto-Indo-European *ǵr̥h₂nóm. Compare Low German Koorn, German Korn, English corn, Danish korn. Doublet of graan.

Alternative forms

Noun

koren n (uncountable)

1. grain; corn (any cereal)
    De boer zaait het koren.
    The farmer sows the grain.

Edited by fireship4

On 2/19/2021 at 7:02 PM, Combatintman said:

Some were quite keen for us to drive over their fields - the compensation was better than the value of the crop in a bad farming year.

They loved it. They got paid very well for any lost crops. They loved it even more if one of their animals was hurt or killed. They got paid for the meat and or milk that animal would have produced, PLUS as many as 2 generations worth if the animal was part of the farmer's breeding stock, which somehow they always were.

One of the things that made a huge impression when I arrived in West Germany,(scenario designers take note) was that EVERY SINGLE hilltop either had an air defense site, a signal site, or a radar site, on it. That was before I learned every bridge was wired for explosives. To me Germany was a country completely designed for war.

47 minutes ago, fireship4 said:

Via Wiktionary:

ENGLISH

Etymology 1

From Middle English corn, from Old English corn, from Proto-Germanic *kurną, from Proto-Indo-European *ǵr̥h₂nóm (grain; worn-down), from *ǵerh₂- (grow old, mature). Cognate with Dutch koren, Low German Koorn, German Korn, Norwegian and Swedish korn; see also Albanian grurë[1], Russian зерно́ (zernó), Czech zrno, Latin grānum, Lithuanian žirnis and English grain.

In sense 'maize' a shortening from earlier Indian corn.

Noun

corn (usually uncountable, plural corns)

1. (Britain, uncountable) The main cereal plant grown for its grain in a given region, such as oats in parts of Scotland and Ireland, and wheat or barley in England and Wales. quotations ▼
  2. (US, Canada, Australia, uncountable) Maize, a grain crop of the species Zea mays. quotations ▼
  3. A grain or seed, especially of a cereal crop. quotations ▼
    He paid her the nominal fee of two corns of barley.
  4. A small, hard particle. quotations ▼

DUTCH

Etymology 1

From Middle Dutch koren, corn, from Old Dutch korn, coren, from Proto-Germanic *kurną, from Proto-Indo-European *ǵr̥h₂nóm. Compare Low German Koorn, German Korn, English corn, Danish korn. Doublet of graan.

Alternative forms

Noun

koren n (uncountable)

1. grain; corn (any cereal)
    De boer zaait het koren.
    The farmer sows the grain.

Hehe corn grogs. :)

I see that basically all 'cereal grain' can be called 'corn', didn't know that. Indeed I thought corn to be stricly 'maize'.

Guess it depends where you live. Koren or graan in NL doesn't usually mean Maize or Rice. However it does include 'wheat', 'rye' and 'barley'. However in Asia rice is the dominant grain, while corn is the dominant corn/grain of choice in Mexico. :)

So when I read a 'Corn' field I read a 'Maize' field and that sure ain't what's in the picture with the tanks. I'm no farmer but have some in the family and have seen plenty of Maize / corn fields from very close. You can hide very well in the corn fields hehe:

gettyimages-136599283.jpg?resize=1024,57

Edited by Lethaface