Air duels?

rocketman

If the scenario orders tell you your air support's bases have been bombed that's an event out of scope of the scenario that still affects immediate gameplay. Same goes for your artillery support hit by counter-batter fire or reinforcements not arriving due to blown bridges or an off-map WMD event. These don't happen on-screen but they shape the battlefield nonetheless.

Okay here is a odd question. At the Grafenwoehr training base in the late '70s, many times we artillery units would have to stop firing in the afternoon to let these aircraft practice dropping ordinance. The thing was they were these small and I think still propeller driven planes, (I never got a close look but I didn't hear jet noises) I always wondered what they were. Some sort of trainer perhaps? The wings came straight out to the side like a prop plane too.

P.S. And no they were not A-10s.

Edited by Sequoia

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

Okay here is a odd question. At the Grafenwoehr training base in the late '70s, many times we artillery units would have to stop firing in the afternoon to let these aircraft practice dropping ordinance. The thing was they were these small and I think still propeller driven planes, (I never got a close look but I didn't hear jet noises) I always wondered what they were. Some sort of trainer perhaps? The wings came straight out to the side like a prop plane too.

P.S. And no they were not A-10s.

By the late 70's Spads were gone, but you might have seen OV-10 Broncos.

They did light attack as well as observation.

Another good bet would be the OV-1 Mohawk (it was the Army's own):

ov-1_mohawk.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_OV-1_Mohawk

The OV-10 Bronco wasn't used by the Army, but all the other services had them:

b5nrhdzt8w621.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Rockwell_OV-10_Bronco

I'm in the process of getting all the bits to superdetail a 1/72 OV-10A of VAL-4 "Black Ponies".....They're one of my all time favourie aircraft, so cheap, so simple, so rugged, so reliable, so capable, (so we'll buy F-35s instead).  ;)

Even an A-10 can't swoop in and sweep you off the battlefield if you get hit, but a Bronco can, several of you in fact.  B)

Glad they included the SLUF too:

a7d-corsair-Garzelnick.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, Sequoia said:

And while they're observation aircraft, could their light strike justify them being in the game?

In CM:H&E we remodelled the CM:SF2 drones as observation aircraft.

I'd guess their primary role (if anything at all) would be as FO/FACs in the CM:CW environment (just a bit too lethal for these guys really), but they could serve as light strike aircraft in more modern titles, using precision munitions.....The OV-10Ds the USMC upgraded were some mean little mothers (IMHO they should have made many, many more):

nogsyov10dnsabt395.jpg

Yup.....That's a turreted 20mm gatling-gun!  B)

PS - Probably going to do one of these too, after my Pony.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead