Afganistan Module?

Rice

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It runs on a very old engine, equivalent to a slightly tweaked CM:SF1, only eight AI groups, less map editor options, no triggers (but it does have exit zones).

It's a great game imo. Best bang for your buck on BFC.com imo

59 minutes ago, Rice said:

It's a great game imo. Best bang for your buck on BFC.com imo

Not sure I could go that far, but it's still a great game.....It was my favourite, but TBH CM:SF2 has taken that crown, due to its massively increased capability.  CM:A is a really peculiar game in a few ways (the trucks, randomised vehicles in the editor etc.), but it has some great stuff too (Drozd, Vasilek).

And at the price it seems like a no brainer to me, if only out of curiosity (which is how I wound up buying it).

On 2/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, 37mm said:

Yep especcially once we have some European nations with Battle Rifles to play around with.

What was Israeli equipment like during the Cold War... please someone tell me the Brits had Centurions in Central Europe still during the 70's?

Iran-Iraq?

Geez, thanks to tags, the only major issue will be a massive need for voice mods*... we should start a production line!

It took me a long time to make the Vietnamese voice mod & that was with a lot of help from @rocketman.

Israelis used their Uzi and the FN FAL. The FN FAL was replaced by their copy of the AK47 the Galil which was chambered for 7.62 x 51 mm NATO and later 5.56x45mm NATO

41 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Israelis used their Uzi and the FN FAL. The FN FAL was replaced by their copy of the AK47 the Galil which was chambered for 7.62 x 51 mm NATO and later 5.56x45mm NATO

I think they were also getting M16s in mid 70s (though I'm not sure how widely issued vs galil)

Edited by Ryujin

8 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

That rifle was a hard act to follow. The Fins and South Africans also made a copy of it. AK 47 on steroids as reliable and more accurate, 7.62 x 51 NATO more powerful. Don't forget the bottle opener. 

AKs aren't insanely reliable unstoppable machines, the early Finnish Valmets, and S.A. Vektors aren't a crazy new design either (The S.A. stuff is just licensed built Galils.). They don't offer any more practical accuracy over Russian production AKs either.. Also they are p. archaic as far as AKs go. Every Galil variants weight is north of 8 pounds.  The OG RK62 (of which the Galil is inspired) itself is 7.7 pounds. The AKM, which came around about the same time, is the better package all around imo.

The AR-15 family of firearms is always going to better though :^)

Edited by Rice

8 hours ago, Rice said:

AKs aren't insanely reliable unstoppable machines, the early Finnish Valmets, and S.A. Vektors aren't a crazy new design either (The S.A. stuff is just licensed built Galils.). They don't offer any more practical accuracy over Russian production AKs either.. Also they are p. archaic as far as AKs go. Every Galil variants weight is north of 8 pounds.  The OG RK62 (of which the Galil is inspired) itself is 7.7 pounds. The AKM, which came around about the same time, is the better package all around imo.

The AR-15 family of firearms is always going to better though :^)

They were young when I was young. Besides once upon a time I was the proud owner of a Lee Enfield .303 lighter jungle version. Now that was a rifle! I don't care or the FAL, M14 were better battle rifles it did the job I wanted it for. Oh Yes, the Galil in 7.62 NATO replaced the FAL in Israel because of reliability issues and was at the time an improvement. The 7.62 NATO and the 7.62x39 (AK 47) performs better in the shrub heavier projectiles have that characteristic. You gather I am not a huge fan of the 5.56 mm, I am fair I have never tried it against a feral pig. Now adays I photograph animals. 

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The Galil never entirely replaced anything AFAIK.

It was the official service rifle in Israel, till the M16 variants became more available in increasing numbers. The American service rifle became more reliable over time and its superior accuracy over the AK 47's family made it a weapon of choice. For conscripts and militias, the AK 47, and its variants are attractive from a maintenance perspective. Is my understanding. Israël is also reserve based around a core of professionals.  

Edited by chuckdyke
spelling

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

The American service rifle became more reliable over time and its superior accuracy over the AK 47's family made it a weapon of choice. For conscripts and militias, the AK 47, and its variants are attractive from a maintenance perspective.

The AK isn't inaccurate. That's a myth. I think you're referring to 7.62x39 being a much heavier and slower moving bullet compared to 5.56x45.. The practical accuracy of the M16 (You aren't specifying what variant but either way 20 inch barrel) is flat shooting because of it projectile being significantly lighter thus traveling significantly faster than 7.62x39. The AK platform can be extremely accurate, that's why they turned them into sniper rifles; i.e. PSL, M76, M91.. (These are snipers according to their doctrine, but could just be considered DMRs under NATO doctrine). Honestly it's not going to make a practical difference for Militias or conscripts lol. If you're doing anything that would warrant cleaning an AR-15, you are really going to want to clean your AK tbh.

22 minutes ago, Rice said:

The AK isn't inaccurate. That's a myth. I think you're referring to 7.62x39 being a much heavier and slower moving bullet compared to 5.56x45.. The practical accuracy of the M16 (You aren't specifying what variant but either way 20 inch barrel) is flat shooting because of it projectile being significantly lighter thus traveling significantly faster than 7.62x39. The AK platform can be extremely accurate, that's why they turned them into sniper rifles; i.e. PSL, M76, M91.. (These are snipers according to their doctrine, but could just be considered DMRs under NATO doctrine). Honestly it's not going to make a practical difference for Militias or conscripts lol. If you're doing anything that would warrant cleaning an AR-15, you are really going to want to clean your AK tbh.

Unit cost and a dislike of discipline. I quoted the Israeli experience once more imports from the US became available the M16 model became the weapon of choice. Personally I spent roughly 20 years handloading ammunition for personal use. Each firearm had its pet load, as a rule of thumb any rifle with factory loads is more accurate than the average shooter is capable off. Trust me my stuff was cleaned after every time I used it.