Pre-orders for Combat Mission Cold War are now open.

BFCElvis

5 hours ago, markus544 said:

How about Combat Mission Rising Sun...Battle for Tarawa.

5528198_orig.jpg

The crazy part about Tarawa is that the island would entirely fit on a CM sized map.  You just couldn't put that many troops on it and still have a playable game so it would obviously have to be broken up.

16 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

NICE!  I have to say, that was one of the most fun games I've ever played.  Our testing group felt the same way.  Such a shame it didn't catch on.

Steve

I wonder... With the new Steam audience, do you think it would be more likely to catch on?

On 4/19/2021 at 4:04 AM, Battlefront.com said:

These little details are very important to people's perception of quality and completeness.  It is very dumb to take a game that's been 1-2 years in development and put it out with all kinds of glaring, but small, errors that could have been avoided with a couple of weeks more development time.

Clearly you haven't been listening to Ubisoft, CD Projekt Red (insert "favorite" AAA game studio here)

29 minutes ago, sburke said:

Clearly you haven't been listening to Ubisoft, CD Projekt Red (insert "favorite" AAA game studio here)

When I worked for a AAA company, long ago, there definitely was a different standard for releases.  Hell, I heard one old timer talk about when they shipped empty boxes because the bank was breathing down their necks.  They then told customers there had been a "manufacturing error".  No, I'm not making that upl.

Steve

20 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

When I worked for a AAA company, long ago, there definitely was a different standard for releases.  Hell, I heard one old timer talk about when they shipped empty boxes because the bank was breathing down their necks.  They then told customers there had been a "manufacturing error".  No, I'm not making that upl.

Steve

they don't even try to fake it anymore, they just call it a Game as a service and sell unfinished crap

13 minutes ago, sburke said:

they don't even try to fake it anymore, they just call it a Game as a service and sell unfinished crap

Oh, that's an old trick!  I was at Sierra OnLine when they released the game "Outpost", which quickly became known as "Outhouse".  The worst part about those old days was patches came on floppy disks, so fixes weren't so easily done.

Steve

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

NICE!  I have to say, that was one of the most fun games I've ever played.  Our testing group felt the same way.  Such a shame it didn't catch on.

Steve

Battlefront games came to my notice after Drop Team folded up and went away.  I still lament that I never had the chance to play it.

4 hours ago, markus544 said:

Is the game engine even able to deal with something like a Pacific battle.  I not so sure.  These battles were almost infantry combat...Very little armoured combat

Sure, infantry only games work fine in CM.  Technically, anyway.  Whether there is much of a market for infantry heavy slogs on beaches and jungle is a different thing to contemplate.  We've long, long, long, long ago ruled out doing the Pacific Theater for this reason.  As with the previous discussion about Barbarossa and 1940 Western Campaign... definitely a dedicated audience for these games, but not a big enough one to bump out other projects.

Steve

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Sure, infantry only games work fine in CM.  Technically, anyway.  Whether there is much of a market for infantry heavy slogs on beaches and jungle is a different thing to contemplate.  We've long, long, long, long ago ruled out doing the Pacific Theater for this reason.  As with the previous discussion about Barbarossa and 1940 Western Campaign... definitely a dedicated audience for these games, but not a big enough one to bump out other projects.

Steve

exactly!  You need to get crackin on that Afghanistan Module for CMSF2!

Regarding an Afghan Module for CMSF2, I have seen requests for this type of module but cannot understand the need for it.  Can anyone tell me how this would be different to the current CMSF2 game and modules apart from having the Red Unconventional infantry shown in different clothing?  The current scenario editor allows me to create steep hilly maps with the appropriate vegitation and buildings and the Marine, British and NATO modules offer the opportunity to model ISAF v insurgent fights.

What would you see as being different?

Instead, it would be great to see NATO modules for the proposed Cold War release.

15 minutes ago, markh said:

Regarding an Afghan Module for CMSF2, I have seen requests for this type of module but cannot understand the need for it.  Can anyone tell me how this would be different to the current CMSF2 game and modules apart from having the Red Unconventional infantry shown in different clothing?  The current scenario editor allows me to create steep hilly maps with the appropriate vegitation and buildings and the Marine, British and NATO modules offer the opportunity to model ISAF v insurgent fights.

What would you see as being different?

Instead, it would be great to see NATO modules for the proposed Cold War release.

They mean a Soviet-Afghan wargame, not a modern one.

Edited by AttorneyAtWar

On 4/19/2021 at 9:08 PM, Probus said:

I thought Combat Mission:Starship Troopers was next.

I want Combat Mission: Star Trek.

Gimme Bajoran resistance fighters against Cardassians. Or Starfleet against the Dominion. Or the Borg. That way you won't have to worry about "Borg spotting" :)

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

https://www.wargamer.com/combat-mission/cold-war-release-date

I assume they just aren't mentioning that the game is still on for April through BFC's store.

Battlefield's version set to release in April w/o the new multiplayer system.  You will still be able to PBEM.  The whole package is being released on Steam in June.

2 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

https://www.wargamer.com/combat-mission/cold-war-release-date

I assume they just aren't mentioning that the game is still on for April through BFC's store.

Hi there ,

I've read the article but english is my 2nd language so i'm not sure i understood it right. Is this article saying that the release postponed until june for steam version only or for the  battlefront website also? 

Thanks)

According to the info posted by Steve earlier in the thread, Battlefront will still release CMCW in April. The Slitherine release, which includes Steam has been delayed to June, as Slitherine want to test their MP system. So if you buy it from Battlefront you get the game earlier and you can get to test out the Slitherine multiplayer service before it is officially released. As I understand it the game is otherwise finished for release (or very, very close to release).

48 minutes ago, Harry Speakup said:

According to the info posted by Steve earlier in the thread, Battlefront will still release CMCW in April. The Slitherine release, which includes Steam has been delayed to June, as Slitherine want to test their MP system. So if you buy it from Battlefront you get the game earlier and you can get to test out the Slitherine multiplayer service before it is officially released. As I understand it the game is otherwise finished for release (or very, very close to release).

Ok i've got my answer now:) I took CMCW from Battlefront. Thanks a lot .