Pre-orders for Combat Mission Cold War are now open.

BFCElvis

26 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

genuine question here, if we pre order, i saw something about a steam key being sent etc, what if we'd prefer not to have steam key? 

Direct quote from the first post, "You purchase will also give you access to the Steam version of the game." ie. purchasing the game will give you a download from the battlesite website as usual but you will also be given presumably a key from BF or Slitherine that you will be able to redeem for the Steam version. So purchasing here will give you both versions.

First Fire & Rubble and now THIS? What the heck shall I do? It is coming too early, my retirement is next year!

But joke aside, I am absolutely exited to see CM:CW; I requested this years ago and very much look forward to play it and see the Bundeswehr later. Steve, I hope you did not hammer a nail through your toe, as you promised to do in December 2006. But if you did, just think of all the nice Bundeswehr uniforms which are to be designed, the Moleskin Arbeitsanzug, the Panzerkombi and so on.

All my dreams came true, Jagdpanther on the eastern front, Leopard 1, Luchs and the SCHWIMMWAGEN!

Many thanks to the team, especially @Bil Hardenberger and @The_Capt.

I'm having serious lag issues using steam version of SF2 and BS. Bad enough to make game unplayable. Watching the turn is fine but trying to move the camera, give orders, click on a unit etc etc becomes increasingly laggy to the point input is registered a minute after I had pressed mouse button or tried to move around map etc.

1 hour ago, Wodin said:

I'm having serious lag issues using steam version of SF2 and BS. Bad enough to make game unplayable. Watching the turn is fine but trying to move the camera, give orders, click on a unit etc etc becomes increasingly laggy to the point input is registered a minute after I had pressed mouse button or tried to move around map etc.

Strange, both run fine for me on steam.

Do have some issues with the launcher for CMSF2 now and then, but that's it.

Wodin - it sounds like your CPU (or GPU) is pretty busy when the game is running. Is this a desktop or laptop computer ? What do you have running in the background (beyond the Steam client) ? What video card are you using and what resolution are you running the game at ? Do these lag issues occur with every game/scenario or just certain ones (especially large or very busy scenarios) ?

I wouldn't suspect that there is anything specific about the Steam version when it comes to performance. The games should be almost identical between the Battlefront and Steam releases.

Guest Question about Pre-Order

Apologies if this has already been asked:

With regards to order status, I did receive a confirmation email, however on my account page it still reads "Processing" as both the main status AND the shipping status. Does this mean it has been paid for, so I just wait for the release date, or is the payment still processing?

On 2/22/2021 at 5:08 AM, Wodin said:

Agreed - I noticed this as well. The Steam versions run kind of trash. My game lags like **** trying to issue orders. I dont have a dedicated GPU right now but my executable CMBS runs much faster in similar scenarios. I thought it was maybe just me.

Also I noticed clicking on troops is significantly more difficult in all icon modes (alt +i) besides shift clicking. This only happens at obscure or funny camera angles. Never really had as much of a fight before

Edited by Artkin

31 minutes ago, Guest Question about Pre-Order said:

Apologies if this has already been asked:

With regards to order status, I did receive a confirmation email, however on my account page it still reads "Processing" as both the main status AND the shipping status. Does this mean it has been paid for, so I just wait for the release date, or is the payment still processing?

It will show that until the game releases. 

On 2/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, Artkin said:

Agreed - I noticed this as well. The Steam versions run kind of trash. My game lags like **** trying to issue orders. I dont have a dedicated GPU right now but my executable CMBS runs much faster in similar scenarios. I thought it was maybe just me.

Also I noticed clicking on troops is significantly more difficult in all icon modes (alt +i) besides shift clicking. This only happens at obscure or funny camera angles. Never really had as much of a fight before

Well, I'd start with getting a good GPU to begin with a GTX1080 or 2080

54 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

Well, I'd start with getting a good GPU to begin with a GTX1080 or 2080

But the executable works fine in comparison. I let my gpu break and with the absolute joke of the gpu market today I dont plan on getting a new one until AMDs stock comes back in on their website. You cant buy anything without paying $400. And theyre outdated, used cards. Ppl are selling their old cards for their new prices and sometimes even more. 

Smfh. 

Edited by Artkin

@MOS:96B2Pis making a scenario and this is from the briefing along with some screenshots to go with it:

OBSTACLE BELTS:

The US will often employ obstacle belts to slow or channel attacking Soviet units.  The obstacles belts generally consist of wire and mines.  They are approximately 50 meters deep with four rows of mines and two rows of wire.  They may be up to 600 meters long with the ends tied into restricted terrain.  The obstacle belts are covered by both direct and indirect fire.  Sometimes a lane is left through the mines to be used by scouts conducting reconnaissance.  The wire is closed but the lane through the mines is still open.  Engineers can locate the lanes allowing friendly vehicles and personnel to breach (cross) the obstacle belt.  Location of obstacle belts will change with the AI plan.         

Engineers at an obstacle belt.  The screenshots were taken on scenario author test so all the mines are visible instead of just the located mines. 

Belt 1.jpg

Belt 2.jpg

Belt 3.jpg

Belt 4.jpg

One thing I do wish Cold War could include is some kind of cut scene for helicopter and aircraft attacks. I think the Hinds making an attack run is so awesome!

Then landing troops... No wait, too much...  a cut scene would be cool though. 

On 2/22/2021 at 5:08 AM, Wodin said:

Random advice...try turning off the Steam overlay.  I have had a couple games really not like the overlay.  If that doesn't work, try the same thing for nVidia if you have that GPU.

Guest Skeleton

I’ve had a similar issue too: if you’re playing on a laptop or desktop with an integrated GPU AND a higher end one, it could be that the program is defaulting to the integrated GPU (hence tanking the framerate).

I solved it by going to the Nvidia control panel, looking up the relevant program (should be under Recent), and forcing it to select the higher-end GPU instead of the integrated one.

It’s a nasty bug, and I suspect accounts for some of the angry steam reviews claiming the game is unplayable. My game was a juddering, laggy mess before, and smooth as butter after (turning down tree foliage helped too)

Of course, this doesn’t apply if you only have one GPU. No idea what’s going on there if that’s the case

14 hours ago, Guest Skeleton said:

I solved it by going to the Nvidia control panel, looking up the relevant program (should be under Recent), and forcing it to select the higher-end GPU instead of the integrated one.

Is that really a bug? Honest question. I viewed the choice of graphics card as up to the user and am unaware of programs having a say. Are you saying that games are able to directly choose the better graphics card to run on if two are present?