Artillery kills tank

It can definitely happen. Tanks are just too strong generally against artillery. You need a direct hit unless you're talking huge shells (more than 150mm generally).

In real life, close misses will also knock out tanks, blowing off their tracks and penetrating the armour by fragments. There was a long thread about it on this forum.

Maybe the reason there's an effect with direct hits is that the game basically just sees that the weight of the shell itself is enough to punch through the thin upper armour? That's why we see "penetration" shown.

But the effect of the explosives and fragments against the armour is not properly modelled. Which is why airbursts have no effect.

Would a 105mm shell with an inert filling go through the top of a T-55?

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I had one of those b******s take nine PGMs and still trundle down the map and shoot my MTLBs to bits. 

lol, I miss my poor MTLB too. Is that from scenario "Galloping Horse Downfall" ?   

I have a wild guess, the problem is caused by ERA bricks.  Will do some test in the future.

In another thread on the Netflix series The Liberators there were exceptions made to the depiction of artillery taking out tanks as 'unrealistic'. In the show it portrayed artillery bombardments on the scale of WWI where you measured the coverage in sq. meters. There is nothing like that scale of bombardment in CM (that I have seen). I am curious Sarge SH whether the pics that you have were just gotten or saved from a while ago?