JM´s Corner

I prefer the second textures the 3 lasts pictures, perhaps because some effects, they are differents, but hey guys this is me only, like Erwin say don t...

I hope when we will make the mod of rain we will not talking too much about the drops wet is wet !! 😆

Super your timemachine Steph a must to compare a good tool, for you and your research !

On 10/1/2021 at 10:31 PM, Falaise said:

thanks slippy
here even if the connection between the RM and the DR is not very nice, the appearance of the 2 roads is quite realistic

1503264214_CMNormandy2021-10-0122-25-48-77.thumb.jpg.354d895cf734391efb6efc47136fbb2c.jpg

1116263988_CMNormandy2021-10-0122-25-59-26.thumb.jpg.56f966265777e68ca1d7f2b81b6598ed.jpg

But I like very much these ones !

we dont see too much the difference of colour , but keep his own style !

Edited by JM Stuff

5 hours ago, Falaise said:

there is a relatively well developed national road network plus some major departmental road may be tared.
here is a website on the michelin map http://cartesmich.free.fr/ww2.php
on this German map taken from the Michelin maps of the time (sorry I did not find larger) the red roads and some yellow are tared

the official width of the roads at the time is 6m and more for the national (RN) and 5 -6m for the departmental (RD) the secondary departmental or communal roads are 3 to 5 m wide RD or RC

I like the first 2 textures
there is no macadam road in Normandy for a long time
the only examples that I saw, was in the south of Italy and in Cyprus this one was not that much dust and I found them more pleasant to drive than the tarred one filled with potholes.

Concerning the cobblestones, I am only talking about the Norman example. There are only a few stone quarries on site capable of providing hard stone to make cobblestones, they had to be brought in from afar. The large city having a railway had enough means to bring the cobblestones but the farther one goes from the station, the more transport made the cost of the latter unbearable.
for some other regions of France cobbled streets were the rule because it had the raw material on site

2 hours ago, Falaise said:

https://remonterletemps.ign.fr/comparer/basic?x=-0.517592&y=49.132866&z=13&layer1=ORTHOIMAGERY.ORTHOPHOTOS.1950-1965&layer2=ORTHOIMAGERY.ORTHOPHOTOS2006-2010&mode=doubleMap

must look at the site "Go back in time"
it also allows you to see the density of hedges and apple orchards.
you can see the 1950 map to identify important roads

file:///C:/Users/pc/Desktop/DC_SCAN50_Historique_1-0.pdf

Thanks @Falaise, a great resource. I will now indulge in hours of map browsing. 

it's true that it's great! even if sometimes it makes you sad to see how much it has changed....
comparator test 1950 with 2006-2010
but even 2000-2005 and 2006-2010, you see the carnage on the hedges and apple trees !!!
     Sometimes I have more of the image of Normandy from my childhood in the game than in current reality

I know what you mean. Just to the south of the area you show in the link to Remonter le Temps one can see how many orchards have been lost 😞 Who makes all the cidre and calvados now!? We have suffered the same here in southern England. What is slightly encouraging, at least here, is that there is now a realisation of how important the hedgerows are as part of a diverse environment and that monocultures are not a good thing, let's hope it's not too late to save all the hedgerows.

I don't know which one to choose !!
texture 1 and 2 from @Lucky_Strike

Hehe, I like them both as well, it is difficult. 2 is a real favourite as it reminds me of the chalk roads here, but it's less manmade/manufactured and a bit more worn down by years of traffic. The first one looks more like an aggregate rollered flat, so is perhaps more accurate in that sense. The third one has some nice textures, but is more gritty and does sparkle a lot in game.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

I think there is so little difference that it is not worth worrying about it.

There is a danger of getting sucked into tiny minutia.  The game is meant to be played, not for examining graphics textures with a microscope.  When one plays the game no one will notice any difference.  

We have all been told now! Everyone, go and play and stop being so anal about roads.😜 I will notice the difference which is why I make these things, no one is making anyone use them, nor read these threads. Horses for courses ... 

16 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

But I like very much these ones !

we dont see too much the difference of colour , but keep his own style !

Well, we can have both. It's easy enough with these textures as there is only one to make for ground dirt road. I can put them into options folders and everyone can choose their own personal favourite. Heck we can even have original game resolution and high resolution just for the hell of it. They are found textures so credit to the original maker.

Later on I may do a complete pack of revised roads which will include these as well as other textures that take in all the sage advice that Falaise has given us.

Then we can move on to discussing what colour they turn in the rain, how many puddles there should be and whether there should be differences between the surfaces when just damp and very wet ... 😉

9 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Well, we can have both. It's easy enough with these textures as there is only one to make for ground dirt road. I can put them into options folders and everyone can choose their own personal favourite. Heck we can even have original game resolution and high resolution just for the hell of it. They are found textures so credit to the original maker.

Later on I may do a complete pack of revised roads which will include these as well as other textures that take in all the sage advice that Falaise has given us.

Then we can move on to discussing what colour they turn in the rain, how many puddles there should be and whether there should be differences between the surfaces when just damp and very wet ... 😉

😄 you are the Boss of the terrains tiles, I am the responsible to put my tracks on !😜 together, on, we can than visit Falaise he give us already the way, to arrive it,  "un petit spiritueux apres un bon geuleton a la française with or without mask" 😷 🥂

6 hours ago, Falaise said:

https://remonterletemps.ign.fr/comparer/basic?x=-0.517592&y=49.132866&z=13&layer1=ORTHOIMAGERY.ORTHOPHOTOS.1950-1965&layer2=ORTHOIMAGERY.ORTHOPHOTOS2006-2010&mode=doubleMap

must look at the site "Go back in time"
it also allows you to see the density of hedges and apple orchards.
you can see the 1950 map to identify important roads

file:///C:/Users/pc/Desktop/DC_SCAN50_Historique_1-0.pdf

Wow! Great resource Falaise, thanks very much. Very sad to see how much land is lost as time moves on though 😟

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

😂 This conversation may never end!

22 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I'm sorry for all these questions but I do think that the balance of road surface is a little off in the game. We have a lot of hard surfaces - cobbles and paving, but perhaps too few of the less durable surfaces. I would personally like at least one more rough surface and could happily have one less paved stone/cobble surface - which gives us a chance to change the balance in game a little.

Yes i defintley agree with yu on this point Lucky Strike, less paved and cobbles and more 'dirt' road/track

22 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

In 1944 only the RN, national road were tarred
Falaise Caen; Cherbourg Caen.
It was 2 lanes road.
George MC in his "Wittman Demise" is perfectly right to represent it as the RN 158 near Cintheaux

Ooh, and @George MC's maps are da bomb, and what you've done to is also da bomb! Leonardo reimagined by Picasso!

He! Aw...shucks ;) Thank you!

4 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

There is a small reversing of this in Somerset, with some new orchards being created.  However, new housing estates seem to grow more quickly...

Yes, I've seen some evidence that the trend can be reversed for the good. Ironic that we have town centres crying out for an injection of life and yet we (the nation) all too often seem content to build faceless, sprawling, crappie housing estates all over useful farmland so that everyone can be home-owners. Whilst at the same time we destroy our assets and would rather import our food than be more frugal with what we have and closer to self-sufficient. Will we ever learn 🙄 rant rant rant

LS's comments remind me that what no govts want to discuss is that the real world cause re greenhouse gases and pollution is the exponential growth of the numbers of people.  Producing products for ever growing numbers of people is what causes pollution.  More factories, more cars, more power stations, more animals and food production, more water demands...  

It's scary that we're talking about being more frugal/rationing as that process cannot be conducted indefinitely or we'll all end up living like concentration camp inmates living on the bare minimum.  The problem is that nations function like pyramid schemes.  Countries need more and more people at the bottom of the pyramid to support those at the top.  That is what drives immigration, no matter how destructive to the existing native population.  

David Attenborough has touched on this issue.  But currently, he seems like a lone voice in the wilderness.

Project Rangers with theirs mortars !

V8Ayhkp.png

Now they are wearing amunitions... heavy heavy and take position  ! ! 

4LFoGui.png

...and letting in the front of the mortar now they are ready to shot !

lhEfAWB.png

inWlMMa.png

Edited by JM Stuff

On 10/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, Erwin said:

what no govts want to discuss is that the real world cause re greenhouse gases and pollution is the exponential growth of the numbers of people.  Producing products for ever growing numbers of people is what causes pollution.  More factories, more cars, more power stations, more animals and food production, more water demands... 

"Ah, if only people had listened to The Diggers back in the 1650s."

Elizabeth lifts hers eyes from her Whitehall Gazette, rolls them and mutters, "They couldn't listen them cuz you had 'em killed. You dozy plonker!"

10 hours ago, beeron said:

Hey JM, you got some awesome mods man. I couldn't find a download link for your textures and the link in your bio doesn't work. If you could link your textures I'd be greatly appreciative

Appreciated your comments. @beeron

Nothing is completely finished yet, but along the way, ... I have to see myself and do some more tests, these are just a few thoughts on my little projects I'm working on left and right, to see if that is useful for everyone's but, also playable.

I have lots of little things like that, but sometimes not achievable because the restriction of the game system, it does not give me the waiting effect that I want, and that, I cannot change it.

But "my mods" are not really useful for CM level, but more for FPS, I would love to have each soldier represented in the game instead of 2 or 3 soldiers, but this BFC will never introduce, and that s understandable.

The link doesn't work right now, I pulled everything out, but soon I'll post some by Bootie.

Thanks again for your interest.

JM
Edited by JM Stuff

Just now, Vacilllator said:

Ah the 50mm mortar has migrated 👍.  With red shells no less...

Have spent some time using the Italian 45mm Brixia lately and that has been fun.

Red shells are the real colour for the grw 36 50 I try to give all the correct color !