JM´s Corner

7 minutes ago, slippy said:

Yes that why I mentioned all road types having the same texture, so the demarcation is less noticeable

Well, there is definitely a way we can make a workaround for this if we are willing to lose one type of road - I am - for some this might be a compromise to far (as opposed to a bridge ... 😉) and it will be a royal (interesting that my spell checker capitalised Royal, must be a fan of the inbreds) pain in the rear for older maps. I did some experiments last night and will update later when I can get to my desktop.

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

This is certainly one of the most difficult aspects to overcome.

Exaclty for me the tile road b and e are the most difficult to reallize but I am further with it now !

2 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yes, it's a shame that we can't live preview in the game as we update colour etc in our image editors, would save a lot of time. One way to kinda get around this is to import the bmps into a page layout application - something like InDesign - laying them out to create a 'road' network then to refresh the subscribed images as they are edited, quite a quick and dirty solution but does allow for live editing of sorts with all the edges and colours refreshed simultaneously.

I suspect that this could also be done in Blender if a more 3D look was required ... I'll have to give it a go ...

But you know also that the result in Blender is not always the same result when is imported in the game I am talking just now about the 3D and textures some textures that bring you headaches !

33 minutes ago, slippy said:

Wow, I really like that Benpark, well done. That would be ideal for all road surfaces in different colours. I particularly like the way the tracks are not too clean and fade out towards the edge of the road.

I'm not sure if we often need a paved tarmac surface in CMBN, especially for Normandy scenarios. They may be better served by a dirt version of the paved tile

Yes me too I think Ben and Lucky, have to take the head of the tracks traces mods, they have enough knowledges to realized it I don t think to have enough knowleges as them I like also very much the way "not too clean and fade out towards the edge of the road".

@Falaise explained about the real aspect of the road in Normandy he has also the advandtage to visit it and see some real older photography to compare,... and the "chery on the cake" this is his passion and almost proffession an allied for every situations !

Edited by JM Stuff

So but now we have a lot of ink, but who can do what ?

@Falaise for Historic knowledges and certainly a place to come back in case of incertains aspect !

@benpark and @Lucky_Strike to finalised the tiles supported by @slippy!

@Warts 'n' all and @Sgt.Squarehead and @Erwin to issue a few criticisms that are sometimes well-founded but also give some good advices!

Hope to see perhaps @Aquila-SmartWargames to give us more infos about 3D and perhaps mds (not valid in this topic but really awaiting and appreciated )!

@JM Stuff to learn a lot about all of them and keep a dirty version of the track for @Erwin !

Just a joke guys !

But who can help physically * to realised this starting mod ??

* read concreatly instead physically 

Edited by JM Stuff

41 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

So but now we have a lot of ink, but who can do what ?

@Falaise for Historic knowledges and certainly a place to come back in case of incertains aspect !

@benpark and @Lucky_Strike to finalised the tiles supported by @slippy!

@Warts 'n' all and @Sgt.Squarehead and @Erwin to issue a few criticisms that are sometimes well-founded but also give some good advices!

Hope to see perhaps @Aquila-SmartWargames to give us more infos about 3D and perhaps mds (not valid in this topic but really awaiting and appreciated )!

@JM Stuff to learn a lot about all of them and keep a dirty version of the track for @Erwin !

Just a joke guys !

But who can help physically * to realised this starting mod ??

* read concreatly instead physically 

FJAZ1HC.jpg

😉

Gents I'm full of ideas, but have very little knowledge of paint shop and making textures sorry. I did make some for IL-2 quite a few years ago, but I've probably forgotten most of what I learned at the time.

I could have a go but I will have to do some serious revision.

JM, apologies I have not had time to try your textures yet mate, busy with work and kids at the moment.

Are there any tutorials for modding textures in CM?

Cheers all

2 minutes ago, slippy said:

Gents I'm full of ideas, but have very little knowledge of paint shop and making textures sorry. I did make some for IL-2 quite a few years ago, but I've probably forgotten most of what I learned at the time.

I could have a go but I will have to do some serious revision.

JM, apologies I have not had time to try your textures yet mate, busy with work and kids at the moment.

Are there any tutorials for modding textures in CM?

Cheers all

Just a joke guy you have to know me untill now 😁!

1 minute ago, JM Stuff said:

Just a joke guy you have to know me untill now 😁!

I know mate 😉. But I generally try to be careful commenting on or having an opinion on what I think should happen, when yourself, Lucky Strike and others are the ones doing the fine modding work you kindly share with us all.

If I can help in any small way let me know 

11 minutes ago, slippy said:

I know mate 😉. But I generally try to be careful commenting on or having an opinion on what I think should happen, when yourself, Lucky Strike and others are the ones doing the fine modding work you kindly share with us all.

Everybodys is free to espress himself, most of the time I make joke somethimes... really heavy I know, and anoying for certain personne, but is my nature like this, a little like a stamp stiking of my...

we can share all the knowledges because guys like you, that give theirs opinions as you, and allow us to go ahead with a project.

dont worry I will for sur one day, knoking on your door !

For the time I take some knowledges of @benpark , guy, with lot of knowleges that I admire and respect, his job is always almost on the top, giving always lot of interresting infos, I took already some Idea from him that mine can see the light, the  tiles, are a very good job that I missed to check before, almost all is there done, we have only to take it, and make our own, ...with approbation of the owner of course ! 

Politesse oblige !

1 hour ago, slippy said:

Encouraging us is helping. And don't be shy with critique, we are all grown ups here, so long as it's constructive it's all grist for the mill ...

So, the issue of hard edges at transitions from one road type to another, eg paved to dirt, and how we can overcome them? If we don't mind losing one type of paved surface we can do all sorts of nice stuff. 

This junction with original, or modded, texture tile presents a problem - the paved surface into dirt road transition, even with good dirt road paved textures is still visible because of the way the edges are feathered and blended on the dirt road texture ...

The editor ...

MCUrQ4W.jpg

produces this...

7yMNmeY.jpg

... nice textures still hard edged, and damn near impossible to get rid of entirely. We can sort of get around this by NOT using the paved road t-junction tile ...

K2wwp9b.jpg

... a passable result ...

tn0zIWB.jpg

... there's an edge but not too bad aided by a feathered edge to both the textures, might be alright for field entrances but no track marks going off the side. Alternatively if we used paved road 2 and retexture the tiles we then have a set of donor tiles to allow us to make nice things ...

l7aX3Hu.jpg

... it even shows in the editor ... the edited texture is the one with the tree on it (the editor places the single tree in the middle though on map it's off to the side) ...

h9Dm5s2.jpg

... as you can see it's much less hard (these original road textures by the way are Aris's, so credit to him, I've just tweaked the colour a little for my own personal taste). A little more work could perfect this. The donor is the paved road 2a straight section. the alpha channel looks like this ...

VUdp1yO.jpg

... and it can be oriented to face NSWE.

Looks good at field entrances etc ...

TKsQeke.jpg

QKK6G7o.jpg

And we can then go further, if we say okay no paved road 2 textures on map we have a lot of donor tiles to mess with - @Falaise has already shown how to do a 22.5 degree road section. We can also try other things ...

fek8CvL.jpg

g6mnMQT.jpg

burn baby, burn ... something I've fancied doing for a while, a bit rough and ready but you get the idea I hope ... battlefields are very messy places, lets keep them that way!

Oh, and I have been tampering with sunken lanes, this is a new attempt to get as close as I can with a little texture swapping ... it's about a car's width and very sunken/hidden ...

xPC5PNh.jpg

... but that's for another thread.

27 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Encouraging us is helping. And don't be shy with critique, we are all grown ups here, so long as it's constructive it's all grist for the mill ...

Absolutly the mill always needs to be powered !

So, the issue of hard edges at transitions from one road type to another, eg paved to dirt, and how we can overcome them? If we don't mind losing one type of paved surface we can do all sorts of nice stuff. 

This junction with original, or modded, texture tile presents a problem - the paved surface into dirt road transition, even with good dirt road paved textures is still visible because of the way the edges are feathered and blended on the dirt road texture ...

The editor ...

MCUrQ4W.jpg

produces this...

yes the editor does not always give the right interpretation but your results are already more and very concluisive for me 

7yMNmeY.jpg

... nice textures still hard edged, and damn near impossible to get rid of entirely. We can sort of get around this by NOT using the paved road t-junction tile ...

very clever I didnt think about this !

K2wwp9b.jpg

tn0zIWB.jpg

... there's an edge but not too bad aided by a feathered edge to both the textures, might be alright for field entrances but no track marks going off the side. Alternatively if we used paved road 2 and retexture the tiles we then have a set of donor tiles to allow us to make nice things ...

l7aX3Hu.jpg

... it even shows in the editor ... the edited texture is the one with the tree on it (the editor places the single tree in the middle though on map it's off to the side) ...

h9Dm5s2.jpg

... as you can see it's much less hard (these original road textures by the way are Aris's, so credit to him, I've just tweaked the colour a little for my own personal taste). A little more work could perfect this. The donor is the paved road 2a straight section. the alpha channel looks like this ...

these are just the ones I was looking for I knew it had a much better texture than the one I was using but I couldn t find it just found it today from my forgot hd my idea was to replace it it is much more "speaking" and the textures are much sharper  Ahhhh this Aris where are you ? this guy was also a master in CM.

VUdp1yO.jpg

simply woaaww your find and tres prometeur,  very promising !

TKsQeke.jpg

QKK6G7o.jpg

And we can then go further, if we say okay no paved road 2 textures on map we have a lot of donor tiles to mess with - @Falaise has already shown how to do a 22.5 degree road section. We can also try other things ...

Yes the idea also came to me but than I let it fall and do something else pity I could perhaps have a better result now !

fek8CvL.jpg

g6mnMQT.jpg

burn baby, burn ... something I've fancied doing for a while, a bit rough and ready but you get the idea I hope ... battlefields are very messy places, lets keep them that way!

Oh, and I have been tampering with sunken lanes, this is a new attempt to get as close as I can with a little texture swapping ... it's about a car's width and very sunken/hidden ...

Holy craps keep these wonderfull textures I have a lots of wreck vehicles just waiting to burn and that I intend to produce the mod and with your textures of burnt scrap I feel the smell already !

xPC5PNh.jpg

And I will stick it on believe me !

Ach che zavais que tu etai eine grosse filouss ! gomme  eine clever fuchs !

well I am not really interresting of your burning textures...

you want my death or what it is the texture that I miss for my wrecks which have been waiting in the garage for months !

Really these last 20 minutes you surpasse and revoluitonzed the knowledges that need himself BFC and Cie !

Really interresting and very promising !

adieu hedgerow hell bonjour terrains tiles hell ! 😆

JM

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I do the same as your 'Passable Result'

But I also stick a few Dirt Red tiles around the junction.....It does a fairly decent job of blending things in. 

FWIW

Yes, dirt or whatever helps to blend in the paved road with the road joining it. I have a chalk road surface which looks great in place of gravel roads so it'll be interesting to see how that fares with these experiments. I need to take a look at some of the other hard road surfaces to see how they blend. Overall I'd happily lose one of the road textures to gain a more cohesive look to the overall roads, AND get a bunch of spare donor tiles into the bargain. I know this is all a bit late for so many of the great maps we have but I feel we still have years of entertainment left in these games, especially if BF can deliver on the performance enhancements that have been touted.

2 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

these are just the ones I was looking for I knew it had a much better texture than the one I was using but I couldn t find it just found it today from my forgot hd my idea was to replace it it is much more "speaking" and the textures are much sharper  Ahhhh this Aris where are you ? this guy was also a master in CM.

Yes they are great textures. Very high res but surprisingly easy on the eye. I think they make a great basis for these projects. I do wonder what happened to Aris, I guess he just moved on to other things.

Yes the idea also came to me but than I let it fall and do something else pity I could perhaps have a better result now !

We will need lots of different textures 'cos most of this stuff won't work with old maps. What you've made so far will work with the existing stock which is absolutely important. Unless there's someone willing to retrofit a few hundred maps ... anyone?

Holy craps keep these wonderfull textures I have a lots of wreck vehicles just waiting to burn and that I intend to produce the mod and with your textures of burnt scrap I feel the smell already !

I know, I thought of your wrecked vehicles when I was making this. I think we can make this quite convincing looking. The BF wrecks are a bit sad looking surrounded by all that charred earth, so we need some fantastic wrecked flavour objects. Can flavour objects be stacked onto each other? If so we could have the scorched road tile with an invisible burning vehicle - maybe one of the flak half-tracks; then a pile of twisted, burnt debris (flavour object); then a wrecked vehicle or tank (second flavour object) all stacked up.

3 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Ach che zavais que tu etai eine grosse filouss ! gomme  eine clever fuchs !

Google translate didn't help, something about being a smart arse I think, you'll have to enlighten me 😉

3 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

well I am not really interresting of your burning textures...

you want my death or what it is the texture that I miss for my wrecks which have been waiting in the garage for months !

Really these last 20 minutes you surpasse and revoluitonzed the knowledges that need himself BFC and Cie !

Really interresting and very promising !

adieu hedgerow hell bonjour terrains tiles hell ! 😆

I can let you have the Photoshop document and all the textures for the burnt road, so you can have a play around with it. I only made a quick version to demonstrate what I think is possible, nt masking just a bunch of bits of layered images. It might be an idea to also look for a ground tile that could be a donor for burnt ground so we're not restricted to just burnt wrecks on roads. Alternatively maybe a flavour object of a burnt patch would be the way forward, if we can stack flavour objects. You have much better knowledge of this than I do JM.

12 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

The editor ...

MCUrQ4W.jpg

produces this...

7yMNmeY.jpg

K2wwp9b.jpg

tn0zIWB.jpg

l7aX3Hu.jpg

h9Dm5s2.jpg

VUdp1yO.jpg

TKsQeke.jpg

QKK6G7o.jpg

fek8CvL.jpg

g6mnMQT.jpg

xPC5PNh.jpg

Brilliant work Lucky Strike! That is what I hoped for, but i must say you have implemented it better than I imagined.

Yes i think a lot of the larger paved roads could be reclaimed in this way. In towns and cities after all the aerial bombardment, artillery, and general fighting, a lot of the roads would have had the appearance of your pictures anyway i believe.

For me personally this would be the way to go, even better if they replace stock textures so that all the current maps are affected.

I know you mention its for a different thread but your last picture of the sunken lane does look very promising. Without knowing how you did it, could the same be done with walls/fences/buildings either side?

regards

slippy

8 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Can flavour objects be stacked onto each other?

Not directly.....The extras vanish.  However you can get them pretty close to each other, placing a ring of them around a wreck should still look quite effective.

Many moons ago I started laing out the groundwork for a 21Pz.Div. in Normandy campaign concept (loosely based on the Too Fat Lardies tabletop campaign).....Reckon I might give it another look, with a comprehensive mod set like these making the maps should be fun.

10 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I know, I thought of your wrecked vehicles when I was making this. I think we can make this quite convincing looking. The BF wrecks are a bit sad looking surrounded by all that charred earth, so we need some fantastic wrecked flavour objects. Can flavour objects be stacked onto each other? If so we could have the scorched road tile with an invisible burning vehicle - maybe one of the flak half-tracks; then a pile of twisted, burnt debris (flavour object); then a wrecked vehicle or tank (second flavour object) all stacked up.

yes in fact I think that I will leave you the direction of the manufacture of the tiles, but assist you if necessary, and created the textures for the tracks traces and wheels, and return to my previous project of the wrecks, I have a lot of vehicles to prepare allied axes, and some dead bodies (in mode of tests for the moment) quite independent of the objects used by BFC ...

adieu hedgerows hell, bonjour terrains tiles hell ! 

Google translate didn't help, something about being a smart arse I think, you'll have to enlighten me 😉

no not actually, it's just a little joke that gave the impression that, a German speaking with a French accent, was saying about you!
"Ah ah,  I knew you were a big trickster, a trickster like a fox"
 (regarding to all the knowledge that you put into practice and shown us on the forum, with some substilites to hide some parts of the tiles to give a better appearance and much more...)

I can let you have the Photoshop document and all the textures for the burnt road, so you can have a play around with it.

yes they would be welcome, and I could like quote do some new tests

I only made a quick version to demonstrate what I think is possible, nt masking just a bunch of bits of layered images. It might be an idea to also look for a ground tile that could be a donor for burnt ground so we're not restricted to just burnt wrecks on roads. Alternatively maybe a flavour object of a burnt patch would be the way forward, if we can stack flavour objects. You have much better knowledge of this than I do JM.

that already brillant cher ami !

1 hour ago, slippy said:

Brilliant work Lucky Strike! That is what I hoped for, but i must say you have implemented it better than I imagined.

Yes i think a lot of the larger paved roads could be reclaimed in this way. In towns and cities after all the aerial bombardment, artillery, and general fighting, a lot of the roads would have had the appearance of your pictures anyway i believe.

For me personally this would be the way to go, even better if they replace stock textures so that all the current maps are affected.

I know you mention its for a different thread but your last picture of the sunken lane does look very promising. Without knowing how you did it, could the same be done with walls/fences/buildings either side?

regards

slippy

I thought so too, this section is very interesting and represents very well, the grove and the covered paths and escarps of Normandy terrains view, soon if I am not mistaken, we will have a statement from my friend, Stephane Falaise.

8 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Unlike the Post Office, this thread really delivers.

So much talent in here.

it's good that everyone adds their convenience their critics, their wishes, and knowledge their personal talents, and only be made known in this way, we can create something concrete affordable and appreciated for the whole series of games of CM.
for the moment the flame is largely attributed for this knowledge to Lucky Strike ! 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not directly.....The extras vanish.  However you can get them pretty close to each other, placing a ring of them around a wreck should still look quite effective.

Many moons ago I started laing out the groundwork for a 21Pz.Div. in Normandy campaign concept (loosely based on the Too Fat Lardies tabletop campaign).....Reckon I might give it another look, with a comprehensive mod set like these making the maps should be fun.

I am going to test it because it seems to be promising !

JM

Edited by JM Stuff