Pre-orders for Fire and Rubble are now open!!

BFCElvis

8 hours ago, Amedeo said:

Very interesting!

Though I wonder why they classified Emden and Leipzig as heavy cruisers... which they weren't, of course, being armed with 15cm guns.

Good point. They were light cruisers. One of them, the Leipzig, was rammed by the Prinz Eugen in October 1944 due to heavy fog and only of limited use after that.

Btw, there were two heavy cruisers in the Baltics in 1944/45, the Prinz Eugen and the Hipper (though not operational due to battle damage suffered in the Barents Sea), both of the Admiral Hipper-Class.

Edited by Aragorn2002

6 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Good point. They were light cruisers. One of them, the Leipzig, was rammed by the Prinz Eugen in October 1944 due to heavy fog and only of limited use after that.

Btw, there were two heavy cruisers in the Baltics in 1944/45, the Prinz Eugen and the Hipper (though not operational due to battle damage suffered in the Barents Sea), both of the Admiral Hipper-Class.

Well, Prinz Eugen was the "lucky" ship, among German cruisers. As its WW1 (Austrian) namesake, she managed to survive her sister ships.

On the other hand, Blücher sank at her first combat, just like her WW1 namesake.

Maybe the Deutsche Marine should reconsider its criteria for deciding new ships' names! 😁

16 minutes ago, Amedeo said:

Well, Prinz Eugen was the "lucky" ship, among German cruisers. As its WW1 (Austrian) namesake, she managed to survive her sister ships.

Remarkably, Prinz Eugen finally was sunk out in the Pacific after undergoing atomic bomb tests. You can dive her if you are ‘lucky’ enough to do some work out at Qwadge. I almost went there in support of the Space Fence program. 

Edited by Probus

1 hour ago, Amedeo said:

On the other hand, Blücher sank at her first combat, just like her WW1 namesake.

Maybe the Deutsche Marine should reconsider its criteria for deciding new ships' names! 😁

I bet Hitler had a few things to say after he heard the news of the Blücher...😀

On that name rested a curse in WW2 anyway. During the battle of Crete three brothers of the Blücher-family fell as Fallschirmjäger within a couple of hours. The fourth brother died in 1944 due to a hunting accident.

In case anyone is interested in that sad story, I can recommend the following book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heroes-Death-Blücher-Brothers-Fallschirmjäger/dp/0764346318/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=heroes+in+death&qid=1616679899&sr=8-1

Apart from that the Russians destroyed the grave and desecrated the corpse of the great Feldmarschall Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher (check out my profile picture!), the hero of the German liberation wars and Waterloo, on his Silesian residence in 1945. 

Edited by Aragorn2002