Getting new iMac, concerns?

On 1/26/2021 at 4:06 PM, Artkin said:

Oh man. 

Prebuilt computers are generally terrible and overpriced. 

All in one computers (Like an Imac are even worse) 

Laptops are the worst. 

Imac has no way to cool its components, at least efficiently, so dont expect it to perform as fast as other machines even with the same parts. They will automatically slow as they warm up and are unable to dispose of the heat. 

I dont want to come off as mean or rude, but you have totally no clue what you are buying man. Didnt even include the processor model - just copied and pasted what they wrote on the website. 

Generally cant go wrong with intel if you dont mind paying for it. 

16gb of ram is the minimum you should consider as win10 now likes to use 4+gb alone. The brand GSkill by far makes the best ram. (SPEED GENERALLY DOES NOT MATTER - timings do - and most people dont understand how this works - including myself...). I would buy a 16gb set of quality gskill ram. It produces a moderate to large fps increase in most cases over pretty much every other brand. 

5500XT is a "low end" card. Although I have been eyeing this particular card for its high OpenGL price to performance ratio, it is not a 4k capable card. Your screen is 5k. You should consider buying a close to the top of the line gpu if you wish to use that screen. 

However - You are buying an Imac. which makes swapping parts a total PITA... Or even impossible. 

I don't buy Apple. 

Hey, take it easy! 

He just wont to know, if it works to play CM engine 4, right? And it will!! Is his new Mac, the best? No! But it will run CM, at low fps. The same, as for the rest of us! 

My former PC, was a 4c/8t Core I7, with a GeForce GTX 970, and 18GB RAM.

My latest is a Core I9 8c/16t, Geforce RTX 3070, and 32GB 3200mHz RAM.

And really? There is not much differance in fps! Load times are faster, but CM is on an SSD in the newer one.

In real time mode, it works better with more troops on the ground. Than the former, but thats it!

So you will be allright @Panzer Lehr

18 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

Hey, take it easy! 

He just wont to know, if it works to play CM engine 4, right? And it will!! Is his new Mac, the best? No! But it will run CM, at low fps. The same, as for the rest of us! 

My former PC, was a 4c/8t Core I7, with a GeForce GTX 970, and 18GB RAM.

My latest is a Core I9 8c/16t, Geforce RTX 3070, and 32GB 3200mHz RAM.

And really? There is not much differance in fps! Load times are faster, but CM is on an SSD in the newer one.

In real time mode, it works better with more troops on the ground. Than the former, but thats it!

So you will be allright @Panzer Lehr

I wonder what is the largest map you could play? I only had a gtx670, that crapped out, I was on a gtx480, that crapped out too, and now I am running on integrated graphics. I can't load larger maps.

I wonder if you had a card better than the gtx 670 if you could load maps larger than 5km x 5km like Radzy Full

33 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I wonder what is the largest map you could play? I only had a gtx670, that crapped out, I was on a gtx480, that crapped out too, and now I am running on integrated graphics. I can't load larger maps.

I wonder if you had a card better than the gtx 670 if you could load maps larger than 5km x 5km like Radzy Full

I only play QB ( Done with the campaigns/scenarios). And most of the time, on the biggest QB maps. But none is 5x5km. I have every CM game, exept normandy! My former problem was, with the old PC. That if I had an Mech inf bat vs an inf mech bat. in RTS mode, the "Computer" IFV´s did´nt move more than a few meters every few minutes. That´s not a problem now.

The fps is almost the same in very large scenarios. My old PC is in my daughters room, with all CM still on it! So easy testing! If you want some numbers? Cant do it right now though, since time is 00,29 here. And she sleeps, preparing for school tomorrow 😀

Edited by Armorgunner

39 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

I only play QB ( Done with the campaigns/scenarios). And most of the time, on the biggest QB maps. But none is 5x5km. I have every CM game, exept normandy! My former problem was, with the old PC. That if I had an Mech inf bat vs an inf mech bat. in RTS mode, the "Computer" IFV´s did´nt move more than a few meters every few minutes. That´s not a problem now.

The fps is almost the same in very large scenarios. My old PC is in my daughters room, with all CM still on it! So easy testing! If you want some numbers? Cant do it right now though, since time is 00,29 here. And she sleeps, preparing for school tomorrow 😀

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons/razymin-master-map-care/

try this if you want. See if you can run it without trimming it down. (5.7k x 5.7k)

Edited by Artkin

4 hours ago, Artkin said:

Disappear little troll.

He asked for CONCERNS. What I said is correct and is the best advice youll come across. I forgot when typing out the 4gb for windows thing, but the same **** still applies. 16gb.

Oh dear, where do I start ...

Hahahahahahahah - that’s me laughing my head off in case it wasn’t clear.

I shouldn’t really dignify this with a response as it feels like you’re probably trolling me, but I couldn’t resist, the whole point of trolling I guess.

I thought you might just be joking however couldn’t detect any humour in what you said so here’s a very serious response for you Boy.

You might be up for some kind of wang measuring contest, my experience is bigger than yours etc etc, I don’t know (of course if you haven’t got one - a wang that is - then apologies, we don’t have anything to measure), But I can see from your own statement that you don’t use Macs, or am I making an assumption, you did say I don’t buy Apple. Do you use them but don’t buy them, perhaps in a professional setting? No? Thought not. I have used Macs for too long to even count, 30 years perhaps. I have used PCs for nearly as long. I choose to use Macs cos I like the OS and my work apps are Mac-based; I play CM on a PC because I prefer the way an nVidia card renders CM; I also play on a Mac because I prefer the way I can develop mods on a Mac, and it means I can test on both platforms; I use Macs professionally; I use PCs professionally; I don’t advocate one over the other, unless there is a REAL fact-based and/or experience-based reason to do so; I have built PCs and Hackintosh Macs; I know a bit about some of this stuff. How big is yours?

4 hours ago, Artkin said:

Also do yourself a favor and look at the cooling of an Imac. Then look at the cooling of a "gaming" machine.

Do you even know what youre talking about?

I don’t need to look at the cooling of an iMac, I can actually experience using one since I have the nearly exact same model as the OP was asking about, do you? I also have a PC right next to it and I can compare the two when running the same game and scenario in CM. Guess what - there’s not a spit between them and the iMac doesn’t crap-out ‘cos it gets hot, it just sits there quietly doing it’s thing, as does the PC. Now if I were to run some other fat-ass game which wants to eat my GPU then granted I would probably not play it on a Mac, but we are talking about a game engine that is a decade old and has, by modern standards, pretty low requirements. So you do yourself a favour, gets some real world experience of your subject before making claims you can’t support other than by regurgitating some irrelevant dross you read online.

Oh and remeber, you are the one who asked me why I said you don’t know what you are talking about, I can’t help it if the truth sting a bit.

12 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

How big is yours?

Are you OK?

12 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I don’t need to look at the cooling of an iMac, I can actually experience using one since I have the nearly exact same model as the OP was asking about, do you? I also have a PC right next to it and I can compare the two when running the same game and scenario in CM. Guess what - there’s not a spit between them and the iMac doesn’t crap-out ‘cos it gets hot, it just sits there quietly doing it’s thing, as does the PC. Now if I were to run some other fat-ass game which wants to eat my GPU then granted I would probably not play it on a Mac, but we are talking about a game engine that is a decade old and has, by modern standards, pretty low requirements. So you do yourself a favour, gets some real world experience of your subject before making claims you can’t support other than by regurgitating some irrelevant dross you read online.

Oh and remeber, you are the one who asked me why I said you don’t know what you are talking about, I can’t help it if the truth sting a bit.

Great idea. Let's buy a $300+ gpu and a $500+ cpu and not use them to their potential. Lol ok. If CM runs on just about anything perhaps the OP should consider buying an Imac from 2005 since that works just fine.

Using your Imac for productivity? Yeah good luck when everything's getting throttled.

I didn't intend on making this discussion go mac vs pc, but apparently I struck a nerve while giving OP advice.

Sorry bro, I don't really care to read/write nonsense essays on the CM forums.

Edited by Artkin

15 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Using your Imac for productivity? Yeah good luck when everything's getting throttled.

Yep, everyday, not a throttle in sight. Oh, and guess what, I use it in the real world to make money, gosh if only they knew what I was using to get some money off them. Honestly, you talk like you really know what you’re on about, I should take your stellar advice and ditch the tool that enables me to work.

18 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I didn't intend on making this discussion go mac vs pc, but apparently I struck a nerve while giving OP advice.

No, you didn’t intend to give the OP anything useful in your response cos you failed to understand that he/she wants to buy an iMac. Oh and you don’t actually have any real experience of using one neither.

The nerve you struck was my BS nerve, can’t stand it when that one’s twanged by someone spewing it.

And if you don’t really care to write nonsense essays then don’t - read the question, ask the questioner what it is they want if it’s not clear, and offer advice based on something you actually know about.

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yep, everyday, not a throttle in sight. Oh, and guess what, I use it in the real world to make money, gosh if only they knew what I was using to get some money off them. Honestly, you talk like you really know what you’re on about, I should take your stellar advice and ditch the tool that enables me to work.

Yeah at what frequency? There is no chance you are getting a decent, consistent frequency that is under control temperature wise. You're limited to mostly stock clocks with cases as poorly designed as an Imac.

You buy k chips to overclock and abuse them. Not to let them run at pixie ass clocks. Lmao.

And god forbid you choose a GPU that has a high TDP.

You don't understand. If you're buying enthusiast components, you expect enthusiast performance, and a tiny case with just about 0 airflow is not going to cut it.

No, you didn’t intend to give the OP anything useful in your response cos you failed to understand that he/she wants to buy an iMac. Oh and you don’t actually have any real experience of using one neither.

The nerve you struck was my BS nerve, can’t stand it when that one’s twanged by someone spewing it.

And if you don’t really care to write nonsense essays then don’t - read the question, ask the questioner what it is they want if it’s not clear, and offer advice based on something you actually know about.

I can tell you're an extremely ignorant person. I never said I didn't have experience on the platform, I just said I don't buy it. Who are you to assume I didn't have experience? Your intuitive "BS" nerve sensed it? You're mad stuck up, shove it snob.

And not for nothing I wasn't interested in making this a discussion about how much Imacs are trash, but it's really hard to avoid facts...

Uhhhhhh did you see people echo me saying 16gb was the way to go?

Uhhhhhh did you see people echo me saying he would probably want to up the card for 4k+ gaming?

I gave him that, and then I gave him some of my extra opinions since he seemed a little new to the computer world.

So the fact remains that I was first to the ball with the answers, even if you don't like that, or them pal.

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

Yeah at what frequency? There is no chance you are getting a decent, consistent frequency that is under control temperature wise. You're limited to mostly stock clocks with cases as poorly designed as an Imac.

You buy k chips to overclock and abuse them. Not to let them run at pixie ass clocks. Lmao.

And god forbid you choose a GPU that has a high TDP.

You don't understand. If you're buying enthusiast components, you expect enthusiast performance, and a tiny case with just about 0 airflow is not going to cut it.

I can tell you're an extremely ignorant person. I never said I didn't have experience on the platform, I just said I don't buy it. Who are you to assume I didn't have experience? Your intuitive "BS" nerve sensed it? You're mad stuck up, shove it snob.

And not for nothing I wasn't interested in making this a discussion about how much Imacs are trash, but it's really hard to avoid facts...

Bo*locks, bo*locks, bo*locks, blah, blah, blah

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

Uhhhhhh did you see people echo me saying 16gb was the way to go?

Uhhhhhh did you see people echo me saying he would probably want to up the card for 4k+ gaming?

I gave him that, and then I gave him some of my extra opinions since he seemed a little new to the computer world.

So the fact remains that I was first to the ball with the answers, even if you don't like that, or them pal.

More bo*locks, bo*locks, bo*locks, blah, blah, blah

Yeah, alright, you’re the big cheese, you can have all the toys in the sandpit, you win, whatever. Aren’t you wonderful ... first to the ball

Laughing at you always ... 

* popcorn time *

Hmmmm..  computer's temperature guy...

p.s. I use macs for more than 30 years and I never bought it because of gaming.For audio I take Mac over PC everytime. Never had a problem with any of CM family. And I'm not a fan of 5*5 km maps.

@BFC  Any news about rezplode for Mac users after 10 years?

Edited by Ales Dvorak

7 hours ago, Artkin said:

Are you OK?

Great idea. Let's buy a $300+ gpu and a $500+ cpu and not use them to their potential. Lol ok. If CM runs on just about anything perhaps the OP should consider buying an Imac from 2005 since that works just fine.

Lol seems like the OP struck a nerve with you when he wanted to buy an imac. There are various usecases and requirements, not only gaming or maximum performance for minimal $. So you come of quite condescending when telling him off because of your 'superior qualifications'. This is a public forum so everybody is as qualified to post stuff, it is the one who is seeking the info who decides the best 'qualified' answer for her/him. Clearly your answers weren't deemed as the most valuable 😉

I personally don't buy apple stuff either because of price / performance and windows got what I need (for my personal entertainment PC, business workloads I favor linux but still use a windows pc to work on). But that's irrelevant to other people when they want/need other stuff. If he asked what would have been the best gaming pc for price/performance than an Imac would indeed not be the best choice. But that wasn't his question, init?

He needs a mac and asks whether CM will work on it. He didn't ask you opinion whether Macs are in general too expensive and or ****ty. That is the answer you gave m.  It's a useless answer.

Also, the bull**** about the GSKILL RAM prove you don't really know much. It might be the best RAM, but on the whole it won't make that much difference; without having ever bought an Imac I'm quite sure there's no option too choose the brand or timings whatever of RAM for an Imac, which is a prebuild pc anyway. If there are options there is option A & option B, where B will be faster and more expensive.

Maybe take a chill pill. Peace

Edited by Lethaface
i have Bigger

3 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Bo*locks, bo*locks, bo*locks, blah, blah, blah

More bo*locks, bo*locks, bo*locks, blah, blah, blah

Yeah, alright, you’re the big cheese, you can have all the toys in the sandpit, you win, whatever. Aren’t you wonderful ... first to the ball

Laughing at you always ... 

probably just frustrations coming of from running an integrated graphics chip 🤣

Geez, the poor guy who asked the question is probably sorry he did about now. He's buying an iMac because of [reasons]. 

He wants to know if it will run CM titles well. 

It will.

If our several years old 8GB RAM integrated graphics MacBook Pros will, without issues, then that iMac will be just fine. In fact, more than fine.

Everything else here is just Mac/PC/GraphicsCard noise, which everyone has an opinion about.

Dave

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

Geez, the poor guy who asked the question is probably sorry he did about now. He's buying an iMac because of [reasons]. 

It will.

Agreed.

I've been using Macs for decades, installed and played every Combat Mission title since CMBO without a hitch. Their excellent Mac games alone make Battlefront a cut above nearly every other gaming company.

...And the whole Mac vs. whatever argument is so very very passé...

8 hours ago, Ales Dvorak said:

* popcorn time *

Hmmmm..  computer's temperature guy...

p.s. I use macs for more than 30 years and I never bought it because of gaming.For audio I take Mac over PC everytime. Never had a problem with any of CM family. And I'm not a fan of 5*5 km maps.

@BFC  Any news about rezplode for Mac users after 10 years?

Hey @Ales Dvorak There are some command line tools for the Mac for doing what rezplode does. If you are happy using terminal they are quite easy and do what is needed. If you are in need I can send them to you. I keep meaning to see if I can integrate them into an AppleScript to give them a bit of a GUI, just haven’t got around to it ...

5 hours ago, Ultradave said:

It will.

Yes, I have to apologise to @Panzer Lehr for high jacking your thread, should have just answered and left it at that. Sincere apologies to you and the community.

15 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Hey @Ales Dvorak There are some command line tools for the Mac for doing what rezplode does. If you are happy using terminal they are quite easy and do what is needed. If you are in need I can send them to you. I keep meaning to see if I can integrate them into an AppleScript to give them a bit of a GUI, just haven’t got around to it ...

Thank you for your kindly offer, but Terminal isn't my cup of tee. :(