CMSF2 freezing

atshii

I got some trouble with game freezing when "Computing Real Time Action"

Steam install, 200+ hours and I haven't changed anything hardwarewise. I think the game has not crashed once before this.

Single player campaign game, WeGo. Big scenario with lots happening, but usually it takes like 5-10 seconds for the real time action load bar to reach 100%.

Now it freezes around maybe 10% and reaching that takes like a minute.

No errors.

Then when pressing mouse it goes to normal Windows "program not responding" modal window.

After it happened a couple of times I re-installed the game and verified the game files after that, but it would not help.

Anyone with similar problems?

2021-01-25 14.37.01-1.jpg

If I had to guess, an 'Out Of Memoy Error'.

Does exiting the game completely then reloading fresh seem to help (at least for a while)?

I had to take similar steps when dealing with constant OOMEs in testing a CM:A scenario.....The crash was similar to what you describe, but in those instances I did get a notification of an OOME.

40 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If I had to guess, an 'Out Of Memoy Error'.

Does exiting the game completely then reloading fresh seem to help (at least for a while)?

I had to take similar steps when dealing with constant OOMEs in testing a CM:A scenario.....The crash was similar to what you describe, but in those instances I did get a notification of an OOME.

Thanks for info.

I have tried to exit and reload several times, but the freeze happens in every try, I haven't been able to get to next turn.

So if it is out of memory error, it basically means that the scenario is too big for my machine?

Do you know if there is any way to check if it is out of memory error, does Windows log it somewhere, for example?

------------------
Edit:
When the game freezes, I get in Resource Monitor one processor maxing out 100% and the rest 31 staying near 0%, if that helps.

Edited by atshii
more info

1 hour ago, atshii said:

So if it is out of memory error, it basically means that the scenario is too big for my machine?

If my understanding is correct, the save file has become too big for the allocation of memory that CM can use.....This is all a bit above my pay grade TBH, @Schrullenhaft would probably know more & @BFCElvis may be able to help too.

Sorry I can't offer more.

@atshii Have you ever just let it go without clicking? I wish the rig I play the games on only took 5-10 seconds for the blue bar to do it's thing. In some really big battles it can take a couple of minutes. If I get impatient and click the map while it's working I get a window asking if I want to wait or end the process. 

Thanks for suggestions. I got it to work, but don't know why or how :).

Same save file and after about 10 tries the "Computing Real Time Action" bar went thru in normal speed and has worked after it normally.

There was a lot happening (about 5 enemy vehicles came over a ridge to the view of 10+ of tanks and bradleys), so the machine had some calculating about LOS. But still I don't understand it, I have played bigger scenarios without any problems and the load times have been very short.

18 hours ago, atshii said:

I got some trouble with game freezing when "Computing Real Time Action"

Steam install, 200+ hours and I haven't changed anything hardwarewise. I think the game has not crashed once before this.

Single player campaign game, WeGo. Big scenario with lots happening, but usually it takes like 5-10 seconds for the real time action load bar to reach 100%.

Now it freezes around maybe 10% and reaching that takes like a minute.

No errors.

Then when pressing mouse it goes to normal Windows "program not responding" modal window.

After it happened a couple of times I re-installed the game and verified the game files after that, but it would not help.

Anyone with similar problems?

2021-01-25 14.37.01-1.jpg

It could be the backup on your system. Mine backup the file's to 'Onedrive' while I play sometimes a hickup but nothing serious. Try to play with the WiFi turned off. Just a suggestion. 

33 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

It could be the backup on your system. Mine backup the file's to 'Onedrive' while I play sometimes a hickup but nothing serious. Try to play with the WiFi turned off. Just a suggestion. 

I am using wire connection so should not be that. I am thinking probably some background program caused this, but still it is strange, I booted the machine twice and had the same problem continue. Just hoping it won't happen again and ruin some long game.