KG Peiper campaign question

So I finished scenario 2 having gone for and captured both objectives.  I had 5 Panzer IVs intact (including one commanded by 'Asmussen'), none with any serious damage.

I started the next scenario, attacking Stavelot, and check my troops.  Asmussen's Panzer IV now has a broken main gun and radio, and I only have 4 Panzer IVs?  Feel a bit short-changed, has anyone else ever noticed such a thing?

Okay, went back to the last save in scenario 2.  It was command phase with all orders issued.  Pressed the red button without any further changes, same result 'SS total victory'.

Go into scenario 3, and I now have a functional Asmussen Panzer IV, but sadly my fifth Panzer IV is still absent.  Strange.  Perhaps I should keep trying this until I get all 5 functional Panzer IVs.  Something tells me I'm going to need them all...

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

Also in the Stavelot mission, you're supposed to have the entire Spitze available, but all the engineers are missing apart from their HQ (which is composed of two small teams)...

And how I would like to have the engineers as well as my fifth Panzer IV.

16 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I think that you might need help from Elvis. This seems very strange, as Denny Laine once said.

I'm not sure even Elvis (either one) can help with this.  I've now tried perhaps half a dozen times, identifying the missing Panzer IV (commanded by Teske) and trying to end up with it in different situations causing it to 'carry over'.  So far, no cigar.  But in every attempt Asmussen's panzer has had a functional main gun, unlike the first time.

Perhaps I should just start the whole thing again.  Or just go ahead anyway, but knowing something is odd and not having the mighty 5th Panzer IV...

8 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

When he was with the Moody Cerulean Men, Gingerbread and the Luftwaffe, or Walrus and the Flugelhorns?

Oh dear. It was none of them.

"Denny Laine has got a fire engine up his back passage. Denny Laine likes to keep it very clean. And though he's never really been obscene, he is very strange, Denny Laine.

Denny Laine is in my band and we're called Wings. (Baa baa ba dah) Henry's over there, and then there's also Linda who sometime sings."

All together now....

"Denny Laine is in my band and we're called Wings.(Baa baa ba dah) Denny Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaine."

The above is proof that a certain someone was planning on leaving Johnnie Lenin and the Bolshevik Beat Boys as early as the autumn of 1966. Of course, it was kept quiet during the later court case concerning their manager Alien Decline.

Forest Gump should be compulsory viewing on this forum. Wisdoms: "Sh*t happens!" Going on patrol in Vietnam looking for the VC: "Charley, where are you?" Yes, all sorts of things have some flaws. The doors in FB 'Knock Them All Down'. are often locked or a nervous scout is too scared to enter. Can't blame the scout. I would have been nervous too in Aachen in 1944. The most useful thing I learned here on the forums is travel-modes of the vehicles. Some people indeed are useful. 

Edited by chuckdyke
spelling

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

You don't need all five to win the mission, so I'd say don't worry about it and just play it as it is.

Yes thanks that was my thinking as well, now that I have 4 with working main guns - to start with I only had 3 working plus the one which was okay at the end of Scenario 2 but not at the beginning of 3.

I read in the notes that this is the last battle using the Spitze so think I'll just get on with it.

11 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Forest Gump should be compulsory viewing on this forum. Wisdoms: "Sh*t happens!" Going on patrol in Vietnam looking for the VC: "Charley, where are you?" Yes, all sorts of things have some flaws. The doors in FB 'Knock Them All Down'. are often locked or a nervous scout is too scared to enter. Can't blame the scout. I would have been nervous too in Aachen in 1944. The most useful thing I learned here on the forums is travel-modes of the vehicles. Some people indeed are useful. 

I've been puzzling over whether this is in answer to my disappearing tank and breaking gun problem or to @Warts 'n' all's lyrical excellence.  Either way, life is of course like a box of chocolates. 

But at the same time I don't see that a working main gun breaking in between consecutive campaign battles or similarly a tank disappearing in between consecutive campaign battles is part of such randomness?  Unless someone tells me that such things are random elements in the campaign script, in which case I have learned something too.

10 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

But at the same time I don't see that a working main gun breaking in between consecutive campaign battles or similarly a tank disappearing in between consecutive campaign battles is part of such randomness?  Unless someone tells me that such things are random elements in the campaign script, in which case I have learned something too.

It's a just bug in the campaign script, not a feature. Some people just have a habit of explaining away any weird thing that happens in this game with fanciful explanations about what could happen in a real war.

Yesterday I had a team run through a solid wall. Maybe they didn't watch Saving Private Ryan but instead Ghostbusters?

Just checked out Double Vision's Youtube videos of the two battles.  He started scenario 2 with 5 Panzer IVs but lost one to an ambush.  He then started scenario 3 with 4 Panzer IVs which is logical.  I stopped the video at that point to avoid any spoilers.  Although I was luckier in scenario 2 I think I'll accept that one of my 5 tanks has now gone sightseeing (in the dark) and just go for Stavelot anyway.  As I'm advancing with the 'fast' option I'm hoping that there won't be too much of an organised defence to cope with...

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

I think I'll accept that one of my 5 tanks has now gone sightseeing (in the dark) and just go for Stavelot anyway.  As I'm advancing with the 'fast' option I'm hoping that there won't be too much of an organised defence to cope with...

I'm currently playing through the same campaign, and also on the fast track. Strangely, none of my tanks went missing. Maybe one of yours got immobilised in the previous mission?

3 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Maybe one of yours got immobilised in the previous mission?

I checked the last save - no immobilisations except for a Sdkfz 251.  Ran it through again several times and nothing untoward happened during the last turn.

So you had 5 Panzer IVs at the start of the Stavelot mission?

5 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

So you had 5 Panzer IVs at the start of the Stavelot mission?

No, actually I didn't. Was sure I had! But now I loaded up my earlier save to make sure I gave you correct info. I actually only have 4 tanks.

They are lined up on the road with a gap so it seems the missing tank is the second in the line. The missing tank is Medium Tank 1. I have 2, 3, 4, and HQ.

20 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

However, I won the mission even without that tank (and the engineer platoon), so I am sure you can, too.

Let's hope so - it's taking me a while to shepherd the column towards Stavelot 🙄.

Earlier in the thread I said the missing Panzer IV was commanded by Teske.  Oddly I've just noticed that I now have a Teske commanding a Sdkfz 251/3.  Coincidence or something else?

28 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

The missing tank is Medium Tank 1. I have 2, 3, 4, and HQ.

I have 1, 2, 3 and HQ, oh well 🙃.

7 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

I've been puzzling over whether this is in answer to my disappearing tank and breaking gun problem or to @Warts 'n' all's lyrical excellence.  Either way, life is of course like a box of chocolates. 

**** happens, is what happens between the campaigns. I remember a clown who was drunk put petrol or should I say gas in the radiator and water in the petrol tank. Guess what could have happened. Stack his looted Lucky Strikes in the gun barrel didn't tell anybody about it and test fired the gun. We need the editor of the campaign to answer those questions we can only theorize and guess.  

Edited by chuckdyke

20 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

**** happens

That's fair enough, I'm just not sure a CM campaign is scripted that way. So...

21 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

We need the editor of the campaign to answer those questions

But it has been a while since they produced it, so the answer may not be quick.  Anyway, I'm almost into Stavelot 😉.

13 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

That's fair enough, I'm just not sure a CM campaign is scripted that way. So...

But it has been a while since they produced it, so the answer may not be quick.  Anyway, I'm almost into Stavelot 😉.

There is a couple of issues like that in the campaign. I think it has been designed that way. I put things like that down to sabotage by the local resistance for example.