In this scenario this is what greets you and at first the 3 Zug HQ who doesn't have any units attached. He is attached to the Pzr Grn Btl however he has a radio. It may be an idea to attach him to the HQ of the Infantry Grenadier Regiment. I will also establish direct communication the Pzr Abteilung HQ Panthers which is easy as they are on the same side of the Dommel river. The Infantry regiment has the task to provide Intel to the Pzr Abteilung and in the game they will be provided with contact icons. For new players I found that by establishing the C2 and communications sharing important for winning a game. I play on Iron for the reason it is challenging and get on top of the C2 is a game inside a scenario. This is an exercise with the horizontal aspect of the C2. The scenarios in Combat Mission are replayable  if you play it on different levels. Son.jpg

5 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

3Zug 1st Kompanie Pz Grn 2107 is attached now with 1034 Grn Reg HQ he shares now the intel with. Once the Panthers who are supporting the Panzer Grenadiers cross the Dommel River. They will be more effective in their task. 3Zug.jpg

And making sure c2 is shared between formations (in this case INF & Tank) is indeed important for winning firefights. 

50 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

And making sure c2 is shared between formations (in this case INF & Tank) is indeed important for winning firefights. 

We have in this scenario two regiments and armoured company with three vertical c2 structures. To achieve the communications between the three different C2's you need to establish horizontal communications. This is established by placing them next to each other with a maximum distance of 30 meters. The task of the 1034 Gren Regiment is to provide Intel for the Panzer Grenadiers and the Armoured Company. You select the Panther HQ open the hatch and make sure he communicates with an friendly infantry HQ the higher up the better. In a fire fight the unit with the contact icons beat the ones without it. One of the reasons you open a tanks cupola without it they won't communicate with friendly infantry. You don't give the task of scouting to 2 men. In modern warfare you can put an infantry unit in a FiST vehicle TAC etc they establish communications between different C2 systems. The communications between different structures is not done by radio in CM. 

Edited by chuckdyke

I know you like CM:SF2 and you seem to be very interested in realistic game play, comms & C2.....I have something in the works that you might enjoy (and that you might be able to help me with). 

It's a bit stalled at the moment as I'm having to reimport all the units (there are many, but they are very, very small), but that doesn't actually effect any of the AI scripting that I've done.....I'll ping you a PM in due course if that's OK.

35 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I know you like CM:SF2 and you seem to be very interested in realistic game play, comms & C2.....I have something in the works that you might enjoy (and that you might be able to help me with). 

It's a bit stalled at the moment as I'm having to reimport all the units (there are many, but they are very, very small), but that doesn't actually effect any of the AI scripting that I've done.....I'll ping you a PM in due course if that's OK.

Fine I don't take short cuts when I play. Example Unit A spot something, I don't plot a LOF for unit B at something they have not seen or received intel off. Like I pointed out I know zilch of editing. I played and looked at it and loaded a few games. Nothing but admiration for you guys. Can you script something like RISS, Recon, Isolate, Secure and Seize or SOSRA, Suppress, Obscuration, Secure, Reduce and Assault.(Breaching) Just using these two standard tactics make you never lose a game against the AI.

Edited by chuckdyke

59 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

We have in this scenario two regiments and armoured company with three vertical c2 structures. To achieve the communications between the three different C2's you need to establish horizontal communications. This is established by placing them next to each other with a maximum distance of 30 meters. The task of the 1034 Gren Regiment is to provide Intel for the Panzer Grenadiers and the Armoured Company. You select the Panther HQ open the hatch and make sure he communicates with an friendly infantry HQ the higher up the better. In a fire fight the unit with the contact icons beat the ones without it. One of the reasons you open a tanks cupola without it they won't communicate with friendly infantry. You don't give the task of scouting to 2 men. In modern warfare you can put an infantry unit in a FiST vehicle TAC etc they establish communications between different C2 systems. The communications between different structures is not done by radio in CM. 

Yes I know how to share c2 horizontally 😉.
What also works imo is to have a Inf HQ ride on a Tank HQ, if mobility is a requirement.

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

Yes I know how to share c2 horizontally 😉.
What also works imo is to have a Inf HQ ride on a Tank HQ, if mobility is a requirement.

In Battle for Normandy infantry can't ride on tanks but in FB they can. It may be the reason they stopped the practice in battle for Normandy. Tanks in FB can be used as FiST vehicles. You can appreciate now that the task for the US was pursuit and for the British Commonwealth it was set piece. The US had superior radios and their artillery the proximity fuse at the end of 1944. It was game over the German army was out of date. Their hi-tech experiments were too little too late fortunately.

1 minute ago, chuckdyke said:

In Battle for Normandy infantry can't ride on tanks but in FB they can. It may be the reason they stopped the practice in battle for Normandy. Tanks in FB can be used as FiST vehicles. You can appreciate now that the task for the US was pursuit and for the British Commonwealth it was set piece. The US had superior radios and their artillery the proximity fuse at the end of 1944. It was game over the German army was out of date. Their hi-tech experiments were too little too late fortunately.

The reason is that they've only started modelling that for CMRT. And so CMFB could made use of those, while it would be much work to put that back into CMBN. 

43 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Fine I don't take short cuts when I play. Example Unit A spot something, I don't plot a LOF for unit B at something they have not seen or received intel off. Like I pointed out I know zilch of editing. I played and looked at it and loaded a few games. Nothing but admiration for you guys. Can you script something like RISS, Recon, Isolate, Secure and Seize or SOSRA, Suppress, Obscuration, Secure, Reduce and Assault.(Breaching) Just using these two standard tactics make you never lose a game against the AI.

You might like @Bil Hardenberger's creation "Hard Cat Rules" which outlines a simple no tracking required set of rules to increase realism in our battles.

The discussion thread: https://community.battlefront.com/topic/135087-hard-cat-rules-v2-simple-to-use-command-control-rules-updated-14apr20/

The example battle we fought:

@Bil Hardenberger's blog post: https://battledrill.blogspot.com/2019/05/

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Can you script something like RISS, Recon, Isolate, Secure and Seize or SOSRA, Suppress, Obscuration, Secure, Reduce and Assault.(Breaching) Just using these two standard tactics make you never lose a game against the AI.

That sort of thing sounds more like @Combatintman's field.....I don't even know what some of those words mean!  :D

My stuff tends to be a bit more freeform.....But you will need a plan and good communicatons.  :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, IanL said:

You might like @Bil Hardenberger's creation "Hard Cat Rules" which outlines a simple no tracking required set of rules to increase realism in our battles.

I'd second that recommendation, it will help you to get the most out of Iron mode and provide you with a good base set of rules to work from when deciding how your units should react to the information they have.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That sort of thing sounds more like @Combatintman's field.....I don't even know what some of those words mean!  :D

My stuff tends to be a bit more freeform.....But you will need a plan and good communicatons.  :ph34r:

I'd second that recommendation, it will help you to get the most out of Iron mode and provide you with a good base set of rules to work from when deciding how your units should react to the information they have.

RISS: Recon, gets contact HQ Identifies contact, Isolates contact, Secures, Seizes (you don't have to, but you can) SOSRA is a breaching operation works with Minefields, Fortification, Buildings, Houses. Anything you must punch through. Suppresses according your objectives from a 155 mm barrage to lobbing a 40 mm rifle grenade through a window. Obscuration is Smoke or a Barrage in front of the objective. Secure is have the Intel and forces available for the objective. Reduce is initiating the firefight. A is Assault  etc Chaos at Ferme Diedenhoven in FB as an example can't be fought as a defender as the AI just let the German Armor sit in front of the walls they can easily breach. Good Communications is the key and using acronyms people ar familiar with. If I say "breach" the troops using SOSRA as a standard drill as much as possible. In a MOUT operation. Practice throwing grenades and popping smoke, on an identified target then your automatic weapons can win the firefight against a suppressed enemy and seizes the building. If you don't isolate, you risk being ambushed once you take an objective. The other thing the AI does enters their objective ASAP and too easy to be ambushed. Take the objective RISS is the drill. Communication Initiator-Channel-Receiver if the channel is an acronym there is no need to go into details every time. HQ gets orders and faces a minefield He has 155 mm batteries engineers etc. he can consider a SOSRA operation. I stop now I don't intend to write a book. 

11 hours ago, IanL said:

The discussion thread: https://community.battlefront.com/topic/135087-hard-cat-rules-v2-simple-to-use-command-control-rules-updated-14apr20/

The example battle we fought:

@Bil Hardenberger's blog post: https://battledrill.blogspot.com/2019/05/

Same principle, HQ in CM doesn't get a Topographic Map so nothing wrong by using Camera Position 5 or higher. Taking shortcuts may very well work against you as the common complaints are, I always miss, and the AI always hits. What I observe Contact Icon, Identified Contact Icon, Direct Fire initiated automatically by the game engine results in a destroyed target. Contact Icons may come indirectly, and your unit doesn't have to look for it. Now you use the 'Hunt' command upon full contact the game engine will do the work for you. On 'Hunt' consider opening up and go by the David and Goliath principle. The 75 mm of the Sherman outranges the Panzerschreck in this case Goliath outranges David. The fight becomes as honest as a "Bullfight in Spain". A battle is not supposed to be fair. scoutc.jpg

Edited by chuckdyke