Terrain graphics issue

alnigor

Hi, everybody. I'm a returning player in СM2. Playing in CMBN and found one effect. Textures in the game that are located at some distance are not loaded immediately. And some simplified version is pre-displayed. Very spoils the impression of the game. Is it possible to fix this somehow? Perhaps by modifying some files? I play with some graphics mods, but the situation is the same without them. I tried different graphics settings, but nothing helped. I used to play СM2 on an AMD video card and I don't think there was such a thing. Thanks for the help.

03-fw.png

Unfortunately there is no "fix" for this issue. If has existed ever since CMSF1, though it will likely be more noticeable on maps with more foliage or other features on the map.

Technically this behavior is actually a "feature" that is intended to help with video performance. The idea is to limit the number of higher resolution textures/models that have to be moved around by the videocard as the game camera is moved around the screen. This results in higher definition textures/models being used within a certain distance from the game camera (view) and then lower resolution textures used further away and then a point where no textures/models are present (being rendered only once the camera gets closer to them).

Supposedly adjusting the '3D Model Quality' and '3D Texture Quality' settings in 'Options' would help with this, but most users see only a minimal (if any) discernible difference between the different selections. Sometimes moving the camera forward, then slowly back will populate the screen with some higher resolution textures/models. But you will only get so much by doing this and they can quickly disappear as you move far enough away or shift the camera in different directions, etc.