How are M20 Armored Cars Used?

5 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

I'm sorry you lost me on that?  Ah, perhaps some punctuation and a small amount of editing explains it:

My suggestion is 'the nature of the British army was to engage, while that of the US army was pursuit, in which Patton excelled.'  Possibly better, but I'm not sure historically accurate?

I dread to think what @Warts 'n' all would have to say about this 😉.

My reactions was the same as yours when I first read it. Perhaps he has Jelly Roll Morton's version of "Didn't he ramble" playing in the background as he types.

12 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

My reactions was the same as yours when I first read it. Perhaps he has Jelly Roll Morton's version of "Didn't he ramble" playing in the background as he types.

Here is the reference: "While Goodwood failed in its primary aim, it forced the Germans to keep powerful formations opposite the British and Canadians on the eastern flank of the Normandy beachhead and Operation Cobra, the First US Army attack which began on 25 July, caused the weaker German defenses opposite to collapse." The British Commonwealth engaged first and enabled the US forces to carry out Operation Cobra. Basic tactics even a four men fireteam employs. A hand signal of squaddie A to squaddie B. Is it right to give squaddie B the credit? It was a team's effort. Which unit gives you more fire power in CM Battle for Normandy? I find it the US armored infantry its first squad often has a radio which enables to keep its intel up to date. You can exploit opportunities much faster. Just the American media irks me when they have their opinion about Monty. Operation Goodwood - Wikipedia

35 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I don't think that @Vacilllator was disagreeing with the point that you made. It was just the way that it was written.

Thanks, I will have a go with Shakespearean English 😉 The problem you read a book and then to try to formulate it in a few paragraphs makes it hard sometimes. The media particularly the American was not fair towards Montgomery. They broke out of Normandy and they mention only Patton who succeeded where Montgomery failed according to them. So, I gave the example of a fireteam. Pointman stops and gives the hand signal. The marksman of the team takes out the enemy or the RO signals it to HQ. The Battle for Normandy is where WW 2 was won, and it almost ended there. Just a briefcase was shifted, from hindsight it is easy. 

2 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Thanks, I will have a go with Shakespearean English 😉

Apologies if I was being the language police, it was just that the way it was written needed a bit of deciphering.  It doesn't have to be Shakespearean, who understands Shakespeare anyway?😉.  As I say, my apologies, I should have stayed in the Ardennes with my Panzer IVs...

1 minute ago, Vacilllator said:

Apologies if I was being the language police, it was just that the way it was written needed a bit of deciphering.  It doesn't have to be Shakespearean, who understands Shakespeare anyway?😉.  As I say, my apologies, I should have stayed in the Ardennes with my Panzer IVs...

All good note I say All Good and not OK always welcome to ask questions. Whether you command a fireteam or a division there is always the emphasis on one or the other. Attack or Assault makes no difference on the strategy you have whether it is defensive or offensive operations. CM gives you plenty of opportunities. To explain the difference between an attack and an assault is another story. 

28 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Apologies if I was being the language police, it was just that the way it was written needed a bit of deciphering.  It doesn't have to be Shakespearean

Very true.

In the meantime I am heading over to the Smolny Institute Recording Studios to watch Johnnie Lenin and the Rubber Bone O Band recording their new single "Give Paragraphs a Chance". According to bass player and co-manager Terry Trotsky it is going to be a smash. In fact the Petrograd edition of Melody Maker is saying that the Kronstadt Pressing Plant is taking on extra staff, at gunpoint.

After that I'm off to puzzle why the Septics named a Scout Car after a motorway in Kent.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Ok there is the answer of your problem, whoever was the editor. In all the stock scenarios there is no problem. Halftracks etc. let the passengers function as gunner.

17 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

How so?

Formation selection. If you have an armored infantry, they can function in the AFV's assigned to them in their formation to operate the .50 Cal. Not for example operate the .50 Browning on top of a Sherman's turret who is supporting them. Yes, you can break off a scout of your armored infantry, he can jump on a Sherman as a passenger and share his C2 contacts, but he can't fire the .50 Cal in front of him. I think he should be able too, but he can't. However, this is my best guess. Look at the C2 structure of the passengers and the scout car. Easy to check jump a scout on an M4 and see or he has become a gunner, I think he will only be able to use his personal weapon. The formations can be checked in the editor, there you can adjust the game by giving it a new name. This is important otherwise you lose the original. 

Edited by chuckdyke

I don't have the #'s with me but if I remember right the stats suggest a lot of these vehicles (half-tracks, armored cars) did not see combat nor were they intended for it. Basically the loss-rates imply they were used to shuttle troops around or in the case of the armored cars to probably act as big metal Military Police or on occasion scout cars at the other end of the spectrum. I think at the point battles in CM take place, most vehicles like this would probably be getting the hell out of dodge.

Regarding ad hoc infantry manning weapons, there's an Operations Team who I believe is designed for this? I did play a scenario where I used one to man the mortar on a half-track. I don't even know if that was the intention or what exactly that team is for. I can only find it in the Battalion layout so it might just be the backup for the Bat HQ?

IIRC M20s were most commonly found as utility vehicles in tank destroyer battalions and I believe they also found use transporting forward observers.....Neither job should involve getting shot at.

The M8 Greyhound is a recon vehicle.....That should only get shot at once.  If it survives it should hide and call up a Jumbo or some Hellcats.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

5 hours ago, user1000 said:

M20s had a bazooka just above and behind the drivers seat for the back crew, wonder if it had anything to do with being around tank destroyers. Would be a excellent shoot and scoot tank tiller from crew firing while inside.

Probably much easier & safer to let a Hellcat sort it out!

I'd guess having one around couldn't hurt.....But if you actually have to use it, I'd suggest something may have gone a bit wrong tactically.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead