Price differences for CM games for UK and EU customers

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Looks like they are selling ration books as GB as it was then called had rationing until about 1954-ish.  2nd bloke is on look out.  We had almost the exact same cheap cardboard briefcase back then.  I think I still have my ration book when a baby.

We do like a dodgy geezer, watch out here come the Peelers (that one’s for Warts)

49 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Quite.

Some loverly points in that article:

VAT is now being collected at the point of sale rather than at the point of importation.

This essentially means that overseas retailers sending goods to the UK are expected to register for UK VAT and account for it to HMRC if the sale value is less than €150 (£135).

A government spokesperson said: "The new VAT model ensures goods from EU and non-EU countries are treated in the same way and that UK businesses are not disadvantaged by competition from VAT-free imports. 

"The new system also addresses the problem of overseas sellers failing to pay the right amount of VAT on sales of goods already in the UK at the point of sale, raising an anticipated £300m every year.

PI’m guessing that BF have registered for UK VAT and intend to pay it to our HMRC! Also which UK business is disadvantaged when we buy something from BF? Ooh now let me guess - does it sound like HMRC? And as a couple of interviewees point out, how on earth are HMRC gonna collect all this VAT if sellers don’t register?

It's actually worse than that. The increased tax means that British citizens have lower purchasing power - they have to spend more to buy the same stuff. So now people are poorer because of the increased taxes. Not only that, local businesses are also affected as their imports are now more expensive, or they have to purchase more expensive locally-produced substitutes. This means they too have to either increase prices or else cut costs (payroll...) in order to stay profitable. And this doesn't even include the probable loss of business they'll face when customers abroad find that they now have to pay additional taxes.

I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to a net decrease in tax revenue.

It's insane that people would voluntarily do this.

52 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Yes. It is new and was just added in the past week or so for UK purchases only (unfortunately both digital and physical purchases)

Thanks for the confirmation.

Edited by Grey_Fox

2 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

It's actually worse than that. The increased tax means that British citizens have lower purchasing power - they have to spend more to buy the same stuff. So now people are poorer because of the increased taxes. Not only that, local businesses are also affected as their imports are now more expensive, or they have to purchase more expensive locally-produced substitutes. This means they too have to either increase prices or else cut costs (payroll...) in order to stay profitable. It's insane that people would voluntarily do this.

But, but, but SOVEREIGNTY!!!!

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

But, but, but SOVEREIGNTY!!!!

Give him his due Rees-Mogg has consistently promised cheaper shoes, food, wine and clothes costs by 20%, and living standards to soar after Jan 1st - nothing about cheaper Combat Mission....

How about a free bottle of Californian wIne with every BFC digital download to make up to us Brits?

Going out on a limb here, but I don't imagine many of the UK folk on this forum voted for the fiasco aka Brexit.  To do so you would likely be incapable of playing a game like CM, but also you would be unlikely to be interested in history.

Edited by Vacilllator

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Looks like they are selling ration books as GB as it was then called had rationing until about 1954-ish.  2nd bloke is on look out.  We had almost the exact same cheap cardboard briefcase back then.  I think I still have my ration book when a baby.

Hahahaha... Ignoring the fact that the UK had been in existence since the early 1800's.

They're not selling anything. This is some kind of Retro event, possibly in Battersea Park. There will be a band making Miller sound really boring, and three talentless bottled blonds doing a dodgy Andrews Sisters melody. It is plain to see that the fags packets are empty, they are almost flat. And there are some bright shiny signs in the background. 

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Hahahaha... Ignoring the fact that the UK had been in existence since the early 1800's.

They're not selling anything. This is some kind of Retro event, possibly in Battersea Park. There will be a band making Miller sound really boring, and three talentless bottled blonds doing a dodgy Andrews Sisters melody. It is plain to see that the fags packets are empty, they are almost flat. And there are some bright shiny signs in the background. 

Don’t forget the Cloving and Rashun books - take a close look at the covers ... I’m pretty certain those aren’t Minstry issue guv.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:26 PM, Vacilllator said:

I think unfortunately it probably is.  And I agree with your desciptive language 😉.

When I bought RT perhaps 6 or 7 months ago I was charged $60.  Now, before I log in to BFC (so my location is unknown) it is still $60.  When I log in it knows I'm in the UK and shows me $72.

Yet another of Boris' 'benefits'.

Edit: As an after-thought perhaps our friends in countries outside the EU could confirm the price they are offered?  Of course they may have a trade deal 😁.

Hmm, can‘t you discount the VAT somehow from the famous 350 million per week, which you now save elsewhere? 🧐🤔

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

Hmm, can‘t you discount the VAT somehow from the famous 350 million per week, which you now save elsewhere? 🧐🤔

I would change that slightly to 'famous, but never true'.  Also I can't imagine there is any way for normal citizens to do anything other than pay more than they used to.

The UK is of course currently still paying a supposedly reduced amount into EU coffers to cover things we agreed to (or in some cases suggested in the first place) before leaving, and rightly so.

I was lockdown bored just before Christmas and almost bought Cyberpunk 2077. In the end I saw reason and just found a couple more CM PBEM opponents.  However it's still the same price as December - £49.99 on steam and according to the steam info page the publisher is CD Projekt, a Polish developer and publisher combo?! Given the size of the title, one would assume they're not simply ducking any new HMRC regs?! 😆

5 hours ago, Londoner said:

I was lockdown bored just before Christmas and almost bought Cyberpunk 2077. In the end I saw reason and just found a couple more CM PBEM opponents.  However it's still the same price as December - £49.99 on steam and according to the steam info page the publisher is CD Projekt, a Polish developer and publisher combo?! Given the size of the title, one would assume they're not simply ducking any new HMRC regs?! 😆

Is this because Steam has a UK based distributor or office or some such? If they’re UK based they should be able to sell stuff without adding VAT. It seems like everyone else in the whole rest of the world has to register with HMRC and add VAT when selling to our sovereign land, lucky us ...

Here’s a thought though - if I was, theoretically speaking of course, to have an NI address and purchased CMWE (Combat Mission WhatEver™️) would I have to pay VAT? 

4 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Is this because Steam has a UK based distributor or office or some such? If they’re UK based they should be able to sell stuff without adding VAT. It seems like everyone else in the whole rest of the world has to register with HMRC and add VAT when selling to our sovereign land, lucky us ...

Here’s a thought though - if I was, theoretically speaking of course, to have an NI address and purchased CMWE (Combat Mission WhatEver™️) would I have to pay VAT? 

Northern Ireland is still kinda sorta in the EU. The border is in the Irish Sea.

But they're in a funny spot because a lot of companies in both Britain and the rest of the world ha e never been able to figure out if NI is a part of the UK or part of Ireland. There's many screenshots going back for years of people in NI trying to order stuff from British retailers and being told that they don't ship outside of the UK. This also goes for companies such as Amazon.

Edited by Grey_Fox

22 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Northern Ireland is still kinda sorta in the EU. The border is in the Irish Sea.

But they're in a funny spot because a lot of companies in both Britain and the rest of the world ha e never been able to figure out if NI is a part of the UK or part of Ireland. There's many screenshots going back for years of people in NI trying to order stuff from British retailers and being told that they don't ship outside of the UK. This also goes for companies such as Amazon.

Hah, Amazon manage to lose stuff between me and Swindon (less than 30 miles)!

It should be easy enough to set up an address test for NI, but I can’t fake an IP, my VPN doesn’t have NI as a separate physical location ... though I think BF only goes by ones postal address. Anyway it was just a thought. I guess I’ll be buying through Steam in the future.

4 hours ago, Holien said:

Further evidence of "taking back control"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277

Seems like there will be lots of goods being returned. Of course the liars in charge are saying these are all just teething problems. 

Project Reality...

Can we not make this political? It would seem by your post that your not a supporter of Brexit? Nevertheless a democratic vote was taken and the result was Brexit. Wether you agree with the result or not is irrelevant, it is here and we must make the best of it for all concerned. We all know the media love to put a negative spin on everything, continually moaning about what a mistake it is will do no good for anyone, and is quite honestly becoming rather tiresome.

Regards slipper

35 minutes ago, slippy said:

moaning about what a mistake it is will do no good for anyone

Although I agree with Holien (one of the likes is mine) and have been 'guilty' of similar posts including earlier in this thread, you do have a point that this is not a political forum.  I'll try to refrain in future.

12 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Although I agree with Holien (one of the likes is mine) and have been 'guilty' of similar posts including earlier in this thread, you do have a point that this is not a political forum.  I'll try to refrain in future.

No worries mate. I play CM and browse the forum as a way of escapism, as I'm sure a lot of us do. I'm just fed up to the back teeth of hearing how we are all doomed after Brexit, by those who never wanted it in the first place. If you really want something to fail it will. I just think we should get on with it now and learn to live with it. Moaning gets you nowhere,  ask my missus 😉

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Yes. This, please. 

My initial thought was to shut this one down before it veered off into a political thread but, for now, a reminder to please not let that happen should be enough. 

Thanks Elvis, that's all I ask, not least for my sanity 😉. Take care all

On 1/16/2021 at 6:37 PM, Lucky_Strike said:

Also which UK business is disadvantaged when we buy something from BF?

When people are playing computer games all day they aren't working.  It's the same with smiling at old ladies.

On 1/16/2021 at 6:46 PM, Grey_Fox said:

Not only that, local businesses are also affected as their imports are now more expensive...

A tax of this sort is not charged on imports which will be sold on to consumers, it is charged at the point of sale (or paid and reclaimed), and not charged twice on the same product.  It is charged on all consumer products which are not exempt for one reason or another (basic food items or sanitary products for example).  It is a tax designed to adjust with spending on consumer good, but not affect businesses.

UK purchasers were in fact getting Battlefront games tax-free up to now it seems, giving Battlefront an advantage over other sellers.