Price differences for CM games for UK and EU customers

4 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

What price did you pay in USD?

$95 (for CMFI, GL and RV)

Hang on!

Update: Just checked the price in the store and it's now $114 (reduced from $156).

Don't tell me I purchased it just in time! šŸ˜²

Bought it on Monday. While that's a good thing, it's slightly annoying as I'd have got everything I don't have had I realised it was about to attract tax.

14 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

After December 31st?Ā  Just so we're clear about the positives and negatives - haven't seen any positives yet but there must be some?

Yes, but see my post above. Looks like the tax has appeared between Monday and today.

(For the record, I don't think there are any positivesĀ šŸ§)

44 minutes ago, John1966 said:

Yes, but see my post above. Looks like the tax has appeared between Monday and today.

(For the record, I don't think there are any positivesĀ šŸ§)

Interesting.Ā  Checking back I also paid $95 last October for the FI Bundle.Ā  Oh well, governments everywhere are in need of a lot of taxes.

I wondered whether the price had changed on Steam. But the prices on there are in pounds.

So Steam's CMSF2 is Ā£46.49 and Battlefront's is $72.00 (in the UK).

So Steam's is cheaper (I think). But is that just because it was cheaper anyway (hadn't looked before) or does it avoid this tax (for whatever reason)?

Was it Ā£46.49 before this week?

3 hours ago, John1966 said:

$95 (for CMFI, GL and RV)

Hang on!

Update: Just checked the price in the store and it's now $114 (reduced from $156).

Don't tell me I purchased it just in time! šŸ˜²

Bought it on Monday. While that's a good thing, it's slightly annoying as I'd have got everything I don't have had I realised it was about to attract tax.

Jaaammmm!

Perhaps our HMRC remembered they should getĀ busy reminding folksĀ to charge VAT.

Incidentally, I tried logging in to the store whilst using a VPN with an EU IP, didnā€™t seem to make any difference. Might try again but clear caches and cookies, seeĀ if that makes any difference. Otherwise may have to try something more stealthyĀ :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

If theyā€™re charging in Ā£ it may be ā€˜cos they have a UK office, then they can set their own pricing I guess

I don't really know how digital downloads work as far as imports go but everything on Steam is in pounds when you'reĀ in the UK.

But then wouldn't it be subject to VAT anyway? In which case, you're right,Ā they must be just doing their own pricing.

Edited by John1966

1 minute ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Love it - heā€™s clearly a very sophisticated fella, smoking both a pipe and fags. Like his ClovingĀ and Rashun books, coupons with an accent!

I was looking for a Private Walker one but couldn't find one with his suitcase full of dodgy tax free computer games.Ā šŸ˜‰

4 minutes ago, John1966 said:

I don't really know how digital downloads work as far as imports go but everything on Steam is in pounds when you'reĀ in the UK.

But then wouldn't it be subject to VAT anyway? In which case, you're right,Ā they must be just doing their own pricing.

I think the way it works is that the VAT is included in the price when purchasing in the UK from a UK site, but itā€™s added when purchasing from an overseas (everywhere now) site. Itā€™s a bit like going into WHSmiths and buying a game, no VAT added, itā€™s in the price, but if you buy same gameĀ from US youā€™ll get charged extra VAT, whether itā€™s a physical or digital purchase. Some digital purchases might not attract VAT if the seller doesnā€™t know to charge it, some physical goods wonā€™t attract VAT if under a certain threshold,Ā this threshold exemptionĀ doesnā€™t seem to apply to digital purchases.

Looks like Steam will be the way to go ... so long as BF get their full cut I donā€™t mind.

This might explain the new rules?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55530721

The joys of a democratic process undermined by foreign interference, lies and a populist right wing liar whose simplifying message is broken down into 3 word sound bites used to emote feelings of a lost world....

The consequences are now being felt as these teething problems are being highlighted.

Project reality...

It could be worse?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Holien said:

The joys of a democratic process undermined by foreign interference, lies and a populist right wing liar whose simplifying message is broken down into 3 word sound bites used to emote feelings of a lost world....

The consequences are now being felt as these teething problems are being highlighted.

Project reality...

It could be worse?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ultimately there's a point where the worse it gets the cheaper CM games on steam will become. As is the case in our failing banana republic where we enjoy considerable discounts on many steam games including CM which we get to enjoy between rolling blackouts....

Edited by AlanSA

2 hours ago, AlanSA said:

Ultimately there's a point where the worse it gets the cheaper CM games on steam will become. As is the case in our failing banana republic where we enjoy considerable discounts on many steam games including CM which we get to enjoy between rolling blackouts....

Until companies increase prices to reflect the lower value of the sterling.

16 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Love it - heā€™s clearly a very sophisticated fella, smoking both a pipe and fags. Like his ClovingĀ and Rashun books, coupons with an accent!

Looks like they are selling ration books as GB as it was then called had rationing until about 1954-ish.Ā  2nd bloke is on look out.Ā  We had almost the exact same cheap cardboard briefcase back then.Ā  I think I still have my ration book when a baby.

Edited by Erwin

9 hours ago, Holien said:

Project reality...

It could be worse?

Quite.

Some loverly points in that article:

VAT is now being collected at the point of sale rather than at the point of importation.

This essentially means that overseas retailers sending goods to the UK are expected to register for UK VAT and account for it to HMRC if the sale value is less than ā‚¬150 (Ā£135).

A government spokesperson said: "The new VAT model ensures goods from EU and non-EU countries are treated in the same way and that UK businesses are not disadvantaged by competition from VAT-free imports.Ā 

"The new system also addresses the problem of overseas sellers failing to pay the right amount of VAT on sales of goods already in the UK at the point of sale, raising an anticipated Ā£300m every year.

PIā€™m guessing that BF have registered for UK VAT and intend to pay it to our HMRC! Also which UK business is disadvantaged when we buy something from BF? Ooh now let me guess - does it sound like HMRC? And as a couple of interviewees point out,Ā how on earth are HMRC gonna collect all this VAT if sellers donā€™t register?

Ā