Price differences for CM games for UK and EU customers

I am based in the EU. Some people I know are based in the UK.

When we add RT to our carts, I see this: SG7OBDE.png

My UK-based friend sees this: Uwiywwm.png

As you can see, the UK purchaser has a 20% sales tax which does not appear for me. My cart shows I have to pay $60, while the UK-based user sees the price as $72.

Is this a brexit-related tariff?

Edited by Grey_Fox

4 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

Is this a brexit-related tariff?

Not sure it’s related to that particular f**k up. Although I did purchase CMFB in November 2020 ie before the final exit, and was not charged sales tax/VAT/money-for-old-rope*.

However, I am pretty sure that, and this applied pre-Brexit, any digital purchases made in any EU country FROM any country outside of EU was supposed to attract VAT at the applicable rate based on the purchasers local VAT rate. Thus 20% VAT on purchases from US by UK buyer. The VAT is that same rate one would pay on a physical product purchased from US and shipped to UK (with value over a certain threshold). iirc This was introduced to make a more level playing field between physical and digital product purchases, physical purchases over a certain value always attract VAT (if the Customs people spot the item).

Now, we in the UK may have to pay VAT on BF digital products going forward because, and again please don’t quote me, but iirc BF had an Irish distributor (gateway to EU) so no EU VAT attracted on purchases pre-Brexit, post-Ballsup we, UK, don’t benefit from this (though maybe they do in NI, but that’s another huh hum issue). So our loverly HMRC will do what it wants regarding imports and VAT (sovereignty is a wonderful thing).

Confused yet?

Of course if we (UK) have a trade deal with the US this could all change, but at the moment I think we are on WTO rules, so who knows?!!

* extortion how ever you say it

5 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

As you can see, the UK purchaser has a 20% sales tax which does not appear for me. My cart shows I have to pay $60, while the UK-based user sees the price as $72.

One thought - do BF offer gift purchases. If so you could buy the game and gift it to your buddy in UK.

Don’t think this would be any skin off BF’s 👃

Edited by Lucky_Strike

18 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

However, I am pretty sure that, and this applied pre-Brexit, any digital purchases made in any EU country FROM any country outside of EU was supposed to attract VAT at the applicable rate based on the purchasers local VAT rate. Thus 20% VAT on purchases from US by UK buyer. The VAT is that same rate one would pay on a physical product purchased from US and shipped to UK (with value over a certain threshold). iirc This was introduced to make a more level playing field between physical and digital product purchases, physical purchases over a certain value always attract VAT (if the Customs people spot the item).

The VAT exemption on purchases under a certain value makes sense to me, I have had to pay import duties on goods from the US before, just not for smaller purchases.

Thanks for the insight.

Another thought - as this is RT you were looking at, it may be worth waiting until the Fire & Rubble module comes out and RT goes onto Steam - you might get a different price on Steam? I don’t use Steam so don’t know what the VAT situation might be. Or, one more thought, your buddy could try using a VPN with a US IP address and purchase using PayPal, might get away with no VAT and just have to stump up a little extra for the exchange rate, not $12 though.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:15 PM, Lucky_Strike said:

Not sure it’s related to that particular f**k up.

I think unfortunately it probably is.  And I agree with your desciptive language 😉.

When I bought RT perhaps 6 or 7 months ago I was charged $60.  Now, before I log in to BFC (so my location is unknown) it is still $60.  When I log in it knows I'm in the UK and shows me $72.

Yet another of Boris' 'benefits'.

Edit: As an after-thought perhaps our friends in countries outside the EU could confirm the price they are offered?  Of course they may have a trade deal 😁.

Edited by Vacilllator

2 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

I think unfortunately it probably is.  And I agree with your desciptive language 😉.

When I bought RT perhaps 6 or 7 months ago I was charged $60.  Now, before I log in to BFC (so my location is unknown) it is still $60.  When I log in it knows I'm in the UK and shows me $72.

Yet another of Boris' 'benefits'.

Edit: As an after-thought perhaps our friends in countries outside the EU could confirm the price they are offered?  Of course they may have a trade deal 😁.

Quite, same happens to me, haven’t tried any work-around yet, waiting to pull the trigger on RT + FB bundle. I can feel an Irish address coming on ...

... where’s the LSD ...

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Just wait until we go back to LSD. Ooops, I meant £.s.d.  Nah, not even The Bullingdon Buffoon would be that stupid, would he

2 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

Perhaps LSD would make Brexit seem more sensible, but I doubt it.

🌻🤪🍄🤯😱🤡👽😎🤮💩🍕 

Edited by Lucky_Strike
LSD flashbacks

22 minutes ago, John1966 said:

This is odd. I bought the CMFI bundle the other day and didn't think I'd paid any tax. Just checked and I didn't. In fact it says "Not taxable".

I'm in the UK so that's weird.

Mind you, the current value of the pound makes these purchases more expensive than they once were.

What price did you pay in USD?