Difficulty combining teams

A while back someone posted that they were having problems recombining the teams of a squad.  It seemed odd.  But am finding the same problem in a CMBN campaign ("Die Letzte Hoffnung"). 

Attempting to resupply a squad I split off a two-man team to mount a vehicle, get the ammo, then debark and run to where its squad is.  That takes two turns.  However, even a turn later when one again moves both parts of the squad to the same spot, they still will not recombine.  Next turn, I split the larger squad team into two and then ran all three teams to the same spot.  Only then would the teams recombine to the full squad and complete ammo resupply.  Bug, or another weirdness to add to the list?

When combining a "three action-square" unit, it's always best to reduce them to the smallest elements and run them together into a single square.

If you combine a one-square element with a two square element, you risk choosing the wrong square, so to speak.

Think of it as the leader getting everyone in close for a pep talk.

3 hours ago, Holman said:

If you combine a one-square element with a two square element, you risk choosing the wrong square, so to speak.

I tried this definitely in the same action square for two or three turns.  Had to split into 3 teams to get em to recombine.  An added irritation to the already burdensome resupply routine. 

Really should just be a button. There's already a "Combine Squad" button they could use for it (right now it just combines the fire teams). As it is, I've not a clue what causes it to auto-proc a squad to come back together. Even during the setup phase there's a strange lag that I can't quite pinpoint the trigger for.

You can re-combine 2 or more shot up fire teams/sections into one squad if they are in the same square. Normally, you can’t combine squads except into the whole platoon, and even then there are 2 or 3 separate teams, depending on the TO&E. After being shot up, say one team lost 2 of 4 and another 3 of 5, you can combine into one (and it will act as one team...can’t re-separate them.

Edited by mjkerner

2 minutes ago, John1966 said:

I've never used this command because I'm not sure what it's for. It's usually greyed out anyway.

I'm ready to learn. How does it work?

Does what I said -- takes the fire teams and combines them together, but you really only see this for country's that utilize large squads.

Example:

12-man squad.

If you split this squad, you'll get 3 fire teams of 4men each.

If you combine squad first, and then split it, you'll get 2 fire teams of 6men each.

2 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

If your fireteams/sections have been separated (as many of us do routinely), you can re-combine them when they all get back into the same action square.

But they do it automatically. Or they're supposed to. Isn't that what this post is about?

2 minutes ago, Khalerick said:

Does what I said -- takes the fire teams and combines them together, but you really only see this for country's that utilize large squads.

As above. They do it automatically when they're together so what's the command for?

I'd hoped it was for combining different squads that have become a couple of men due to casualties. That'd be useful. But I don't think that's what it is.

1 minute ago, John1966 said:

But they do it automatically. Or they're supposed to. Isn't that what this post is about?

As above. They do it automatically when they're together so what's the command for?

I'd hoped it was for combining different squads that have become a couple of men due to casualties. That'd be useful. But I don't think that's what it is.

They do not do it automatically.

I think you're misinterpreting when this event occurs.

When you look at a squad's UI, you can see the guys in the little squares. For a large squad, you'll notice 3 columns. If you hit Combine Squad, it'll put the men into two columns. Those columns are the fire teams. It's an entirely different element than the original conversation -- I mostly meant to suggest that it ALSO do what everyone is trying to do here, which is get these fireteams to group back up, but instead of leaning on an abstract sense of squares and timing, just have a button to do it.

21 minutes ago, Khalerick said:

They do not do it automatically.

They do if they're positioned right.

Not sure whether it has to be the same AS or adjacent ASs. I've never used the Combine Squad order (really, I haven't) and they recombine when I want them to (usually).

Happened an hour ago. And in that case I hadn't even wanted them to. You've got two icons and then one disappears. Usually at the start or finish of a turn.

Edited by John1966

Let’s try this another way. Say you have a German squad from 1944 set at 70% head count. So you might have one team with 3 guys, one with 2, and one with 1 (inevitably with an leg, it seems). You may want to keep the flexibility of having 3 separate teams for maneuver purposes. Great. When they are all in the same square, they will still be 3separate teams, so you can maneuver them indecently as you please. But if you just want to have one beefed up team, you can combine them into one (or two, but then you have to have one of them not in that square when you combine) and from that point one, that squad will be one squad with one team/element that cannot be split. It’s all in the manual, or used to be anyway.

5 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Khalerick keeps ninja-ing me, lol!

I'm a very fast typist, heh.

I should add that once you hit Combine Squad I don't know if it is possible to go back to 3-fireteams, at least I haven't figured it out yet.

Squad used in the images is the Marines which is a 13-man. The manual states that some nations might be a little more restrictive in squad/fireteam independence so I don't think this is necessarily applicable to ALL 12+ man squads, but I haven't tested that far.

John, when they recombine automatically, they will do so in their original elements. As Khalerick points out, he has recombined those three elements into two...permanently. If he just moved them all into the same square, and they recombined automatically, they would still be in their 3 separate elements.