How do I reinstall the game?

rogue189

I got a new computer and need to reinstall the game.  How do I do that?  Last time I need to be given access to all the game files from the repository to reinstall.  Can I just go through an redownload from my order history?  If I do that, do I need to download everything all over again in order or can I just do the latest update?

Go to MY ACCOUNT and find the original purchase of each title.  Select the Full Installer for each title and that will have all the modules etc all in one d/l.  You'll need all your activation codes for the game and modules etc.

The process is not intuitive and I regularly forget how to do this when I have to reinstall.  But, once one understands the strange process it's not hard.

Edited by Erwin

Make sure to get the latest versions of your purchases. If you have 'Engine 4.0' purchases for your games, then go to those downloads, since they will be 'all-in-one' installers with the latest patches for that game (all modules and latest patches). You will need your license keys for each game, module and the upgrades. Typically for a 4.0 Upgrade you will need the 4.0 and 3.0 Upgrade license keys (unless your for the base game/combo was AFTER the 4.0 Upgrade for that game was released - then only that base game/combo license key is needed). You will need to use the 'Activate New Products..' shortcut (that may be on the desktop or within the game's primary folder) to activate most of the license keys.

If you didn't purchase 4.0 Upgrades for your games, then the 3.0 Upgrade downloads should also be 'all-in-one' installers (all modules that are compatible with 3.0 Upgrade and the latest patch for those 3.0 Engines).

There is nothing simple about reinstalling these games.  I installed the big update to SF2, but the game won't launch.  Will it work if I go back an install the engine 3 or do I need to uninstall the big update then reinstall it?  As much as I love the Combat Mission series, I have always hated Battlefront's system for moving the games from computer to computer.  Moving games on Steam is easy, Matrix games is easy, but I need to know the proper order to download and install my games with Battlefront.  ugh!  I really wish my order page at least said which game was which instead of order#, order type, status and price.  I have to keep hunting around clicking on each link.

30 minutes ago, rogue189 said:

I really wish my order page at least said which game was which instead of order#, order type, status and price.  I have to keep hunting around clicking on each link.

Be assured this has been stated many, many, many times over the years...  

• 1 year later...

Oh golly!

I had the same question as the OP, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to go through the whole thing again (having done it several times before, but I still need to consult the forum each time about how to do it).

I've 23 different orders listed in My Accounts, and I'm not sure I have the will to trawl through them to find the original games of CMBN, CMFI & CMRT plus all the modules and then the v4.0 upgrade.

I remember it took me ages last time, and I ended up having to write down on a piece of paper which products the order numbers were for. All very 2022...

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Am sure that many of us feel your pain...  The way that MY ACCOUNT purchases are listed is very non-intuitive.

Indeed.

Is there a sticky for how to re-install all the games from scratch?

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything.

I know many dislike Steam, but it would make this whole thing a bit more, well, 2022.

Perhaps I'll take the re-installation process on again, when the new packs for CMx2 are released...

2 hours ago, Russkly said:

Indeed.

Is there a sticky for how to re-install all the games from scratch?

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything.

I know many dislike Steam, but it would make this whole thing a bit more, well, 2022.

Perhaps I'll take the re-installation process on again, when the new packs for CMx2 are released...

@Heirloom_Tomatois 100% correct. And recently I changed it to make it more foolproof.

The 4.0 Upgrade for each game is an all-in-one full game installer. The installation instructions are now:

1) Download and install the 4.0 Upgrade

That's it. No more convoluted step by step installation. The installers will install each base game and every module, Pack and Upgrade for the game in a single download.

Once each game is installed, use the Activate New Products utility for each game and enter every key that you have. That's the hardest part. Gathering up you keys. Years ago I put all of mine in a Word document so that I wouldn't have to look them up anymore because @Erwin is also 100% correct. There is no easy way to find your orders other than looking at each one. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that we can do about that. 

6 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

There is no easy way to find your orders other than looking at each one. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that we can do about that. 

Well that's not entirely true. BFC still own the website and could change it to show more information on individual orders in the list if they were willing to pay somebody to do it if they can't do it for themselves.

Edited by Grey_Fox

10 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

There is no easy way to find your orders other than looking at each one. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that we can do about that. 

Well, there is useless info displayed in the list of orders which could be replaced with the product purchased, or at least the order number (then you can map from the email to the order line).

Thanks, guys.

Either way, it's a bit of a trawl through the orders to find the relevant activation codes, then install the big bundle for each game, and then try to apply the activation codes in the right order (I remember the last time I did this that it wasn't straightforward, and I had lots of fun with error messages about products not being licensed or similar).

Anyways up, it is what it is - I'll just have to suck it when when I decide I want to play CMBN/CMFI/CMRT/CMFB again.

@BFCElvisSeems a little agricultural, but your suggestion about putting all the orders and activation codes in Notepad or Word or whatever probably makes sense. Maybe one day they'll port the whole shebang over to Steam?

4 hours ago, Russkly said:

@BFCElvisSeems a little agricultural, but your suggestion about putting all the orders and activation codes in Notepad or Word or whatever probably makes sense. Maybe one day they'll port the whole shebang over to Steam?

We are. By this time next year all Combat Mission games should be on Steam. Having your keys in one spot will help to get the Steam keys easier, when the time comes.

2 hours ago, Redwolf said:

What I mean is that the download links change when new all-in-one installers are published. That's why it doesn't make sense to copy them to a spreadsheet.

Yes and no. The links for anything that is Game Engine 4 will not change. That goes for the base games that are purchased at 4.0 and the 4.0 Upgrades. The links in your account goes to a folder, not to the download file itself. When a new installer becomes available I change the contents of the folder, not the URL that appears in your account. So, that link doesn't change.......what is on the "other end of the link" is what changes. 

Pictures may work better....

When I go into my account and click on the 4.0 Upgrade Big Bundle it send me here:

download 1.png

If I then click on the Normandy folder it send me here:

download 2.png

The link to this never changes. The contents of what is in the circled folder is what I change when there's a new build.

• 1 month later...

I've also switched t a new PC and have to install all my CM games (CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMFB, CMBS, SMSF2). I've downloaded all the Engine 4 updates as quoted in this thread. However I can't find such a file for CMSF2. Is there any alternative? Where do I get the most recent version?