Recommended game for starting "small" and to gradually progress?

4 hours ago, Artkin said:

This guy might really enjoy @MOS:96B2P's TacOps mission and the one after too. Focuses on very small scale operations on a single map. The scenario twists and wrings every ounce this game can offer. Also it should teach you a lot of the technical side of cm (Something learned after being a grog for a while around here). 

I think its CM:SF2 though. :rolleyes:

He did 'TOC' for CM:BS and 'Coup' for CM:SF2.....Both are utterly unique.  B)

He also has a pretty fully developed CM:RT scenario that is just waiting for the release of F&R.....I've tested an early iteration of it and once again it is very novel.

Then there's this:

reeSAc9.jpg

That is not (completely) a mock-up.....You really can play 'Cops & Robbers' in CM(:SF2)!  :D

Compared to this, even @MOS:96B2P's earlier creations look pretty mundane.....It's a campaign and you can play either side (Cops or Robbers)!  :o

I've said it before and I will no doubt say it again.....Man's a fekkinn genius!  ;)

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

If they do 'Fire and Rubble' properly they need to model the Soviet armor to enable Soviet tank riders.

I'm sure 'they' will do Fire and Rubble properly, but as others have said RT already has this. 

Your punishment, should you choose to accept it, is to purchase RT.  You can wait until Fire and Rubble comes out if you wish, but this message will self-destruct as soon as you've placed the order.

2 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

I'm sure 'they' will do Fire and Rubble properly, but as others have said RT already has this. 

Your punishment, should you choose to accept it, is to purchase RT.  You can wait until Fire and Rubble comes out if you wish, but this message will self-destruct as soon as you've placed the order.

I have RT on engine 3 and will wait to upgrade till the updates are complete.

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I began wondering about his reading of other posts when despite my mentioning the Dutch historian Pieter Geyl he gave me the same lecture about polders over and over again, that I almost fell asleep.

We left the Netherlands in the 60's when I was a teen. I am still conversational in Dutch, nevertheless, didn't realize there were three kinds of polders. So, it seems I was wrong, I don't have a problem with it. Pieter Geyl also new to me, just a funny surname. I don't go into the details of it. Kind regards

35 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

We left the Netherlands in the 60's when I was a teen. I am still conversational in Dutch, nevertheless, didn't realize there were three kinds of polders. So, it seems I was wrong, I don't have a problem with it. Pieter Geyl also new to me, just a funny surname. I don't go into the details of it. Kind regards

Apology accepted. Happy gaming.

Although Zloba probably still is sleeeping now from having played CMBN all night and into the early morning and maybe continues to play after the brunch and cup of coffee, I'm pretty sure he'll check back on this thread later on.

A little tip for him is to read this thread about C2 sharing between different troops and units. It will be of help while playing against the AI and I believe especially against a human opponent.

Edited by BornGinger

@BornGinger I whish i could play it all day and night really, so far so good and i like it. But it wouldn't be me if i won't make things more complicated. I got an idea of a semi-story driven video. I've finished the Basic Training just a few minutes ago. Now i need to edit all the footage and give it some life. Hope it will be worth the time 😄

Oh and that topic was already recommended by @RepsolCBR, got it bookmarked. But thanks!

Edited by Zloba

22 hours ago, mjkerner said:

It’s not quite clear from your last post whether you are aware that RT had tank riders right out of the box. You’ve got ‘em if you have RT, chuck.

Yes, I have it on Engine 3 I have not upgraded the game. It may be a completely different game on Engine 5 when it comes out. The reason I enjoy FB better than Battle for Normandy. Riding on tanks was common during WW2, the Soviets used their T34's more like we use IFV's today. 

@chuckdykeCorrect me if i'm wrong, but you can drive infantry on your tanks in RT no matter if you have the upgrade to version 4 of the engine or not. RT was the first CM game released on Engine 3 and infantry driving on tanks was feature of that game right from it's release AFAIK.

13 minutes ago, Zloba said:

@chuckdykeCorrect me if i'm wrong, but you can drive infantry on your tanks in RT no matter if you have the upgrade to version 4 of the engine or not. RT was the first CM game released on Engine 3 and infantry driving on tanks was feature of that game right from it's release AFAIK.

Yes, thank you I trust you're correct, I just don't feel the need to upgrade yet. There are not too many differences between 3 and 4. Spotting around buildings is the difference I noticed between ST and FB. Both games allow passengers on tanks, and FB is on engine 4. Kind regards. I put some posts up about LOS as you call yourself a junior member you may find it useful. It is on the Black Sea posts my examples are from Shock Force 2. Makes not much difference which game you play. 

@Zloba, congrats on your new addition to your family! And also on your newborn. ;)

In many games when you select difficulty levels, the game changes the characteristics or the numbers of your enemies. Not so in this game. Instead, the different difficulty levels affect artillery/air response times and, most importantly, how spotting is dealt with (both friendly and enemy).

It may seem counter-intuitive, but I suggest you start on Iron mode. That mode will allow you to see what each unit sees and it will give you a much deeper understanding of what's going on with the game.

For example, in Iron, if 3rd squad is unaware of the enemy LMG section, then when you select 3rd squad, that enemy LMG disappears from the map.

Similarly, if 2nd squad is isolated, when you select it, then your other friendly units all disappear. That shows you that 2nd squad has no knowledge of any friendlies. That's important to you as a leader.

Don't think that Iron is harder: it is not. It is more realistic (support response times) and allows you better knowledge about your units.

Good luck!

Ken

50 minutes ago, c3k said:

For example, in Iron, if 3rd squad is unaware of the enemy LMG section, then when you select 3rd squad, that enemy LMG disappears from the map.

I think this also happens on lower realism levels.

50 minutes ago, c3k said:

Similarly, if 2nd squad is isolated, when you select it, then your other friendly units all disappear. That shows you that 2nd squad has no knowledge of any friendlies. That's important to you as a leader.

Why is it important?

48 minutes ago, c3k said:

@Zloba, congrats on your new addition to your family! And also on your newborn. ;)

In many games when you select difficulty levels, the game changes the characteristics or the numbers of your enemies. Not so in this game. Instead, the different difficulty levels affect artillery/air response times and, most importantly, how spotting is dealt with (both friendly and enemy).

It may seem counter-intuitive, but I suggest you start on Iron mode. That mode will allow you to see what each unit sees and it will give you a much deeper understanding of what's going on with the game.

Don't think that Iron is harder: it is not. It is more realistic (support response times) and allows you better knowledge about your units.

Good luck!

Ken

Your recon becomes more realistic. You check your C2 and establish an order of battle. See or the other units end up with the contact Icons you first troops encounter. Iron works to ways even the AI seems to be blissfully unaware of you. 

4 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think this also happens on lower realism levels.

Why is it important?

Your Ci2 becomes all of a sudden useful. Your HQ better moves with the leading squad, the other 2 squads with the Company HQ and his 2iC. Just a suggestion I call this set up a leader's recon. Meaning the leaders get the contact icons asap. The gamey plotting with LOS becomes outdated. You start to fight like you would do in real life. You may have a computer in real life there is no such luxury. Your communications need to be functioning. 

Just now, Bulletpoint said:

Not sure what you mean by this?

I watch YouTube videos they plot waypoints highlight it and see or they have a LOS on a target another unit spotted. Then plot area fire on it. Especially on a WW2 battlefield they don't have the luxury of a gaming PC. I am not surprised that at times the No LOS comes up. I hardly ever get that issue. My LOS tool is Camera Position 1. Today I posted a few graphics to explain the matter. You can find them by checking my profile. 

5 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I watch YouTube videos they plot waypoints highlight it and see or they have a LOS on a target another unit spotted. Then plot area fire on it. Especially on a WW2 battlefield they don't have the luxury of a gaming PC. I am not surprised that at times the No LOS comes up. I hardly ever get that issue. My LOS tool is Camera Position 1. Today I posted a few graphics to explain the matter. You can find them by checking my profile. 

Alright, got it. I do the same. But that's not related to the Iron realism level though. On Iron, you can still do the waypoint plotting...

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

Alright, got it. I do the same. But that's not related to the Iron realism level though. On Iron, you can still do the waypoint plotting...

You can just to get an estimate the game just becomes more fluid without it. Snipers do annoying things like repositioning after they give their position away. Before the turn is finished, my sniper already makes his way to the ground floor. The sniper of the AI doesn't. The Iron realism is spotting, one thing I know about firearms. No sight picture means you don't hit. A marksman in the observed games hardly hits anything because they plot area fire only. Look at your troops Crack or Elite with a bonus of +2 area excellent. Put them in concealment with cover arcs and I tell you they take out enemy snipers. I posted some screenshots played games with no waypoint plotting. I love the US Marines in this game. Kind Regards.