Recommended game for starting "small" and to gradually progress?

Just want to say again - the built-in scenarios and campaigns are great, but if you really want to focus on smaller stuff, the editor is really not hard at all to pick up. You can just make literally whatever you want! Use one of hundreds of existing maps, or create your own. The AI is dead simple to "program", you're really just painting some squares on the map to tell them where to go, for the most part (and sure, it can get more complex than that, but it doesn't have to at first).

And of course, there's all the free user-created scenarios to dive into, as well.

I would just strongly recommend you go with whichever edition gave you the "stuff" you're interested in playing with / simulating... i.e. the theater of war that interests you most. The campaigns and scenarios and whatnot are plentiful, just make sure you've got the units you want to play with, and you should be good to go.

Shall we guess how long we think it takes before Zloba decides to try a pbem-game?

I think (s)he'll use not less than four months to play the game against the AI as a way to learn it well enough. And after maybe six months the time might has come to go to either TheFewGoodMen or TheBlitz and ask for a CM-bout against someone.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

You press that button, Zloba, and you’re a goner! You don’t think you’ve had enough sleep now, but wait until you start really playing.  Your addiction will only grow, and grow, and grow. You will reach new heights of frustration and angst. Many Rage Quits await you. And if, like BornGinger says, you jump into pbem, you’ll be pulling your hair out and climbing the walls waiting for that next turn to see how your orders worked out.

(This isn’t a duty that I enjoy, but someone had to warn him. I know you regulars understand.)

Just a matter of time fella.....Eventually the itch to see Uncons or IEDs in action, or let an Abrams or T-90M loose on something, will need to be scratched.  ;)

I was a dedicated WWII fan too.....It's how I know.  :D

PS - It was CM:A that actually did it to me.....It's only $25, I thought, what harm could it do?  It would make a change etc. etc.  So now I own the lot, just like you will.  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

He'll probably have the lot within a year (just like the rest of us).

I bought Final Blitz in the Summer 2016, if I'm correct, and haven't bought a second game as I believe the WW2 ones are quite similar and the later day ones don't appeal to me much.

As Zloby bought the CMBN bundle, I think he has enough fighting to do before he wants to buy another one.

4 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

I bought Final Blitz in the Summer 2016, if I'm correct, and haven't bought a second game as I believe the WW2 ones are quite similar and the later day ones don't appeal to me much.

As Zloby bought the CMBN bundle, I think he has enough fighting to do before he wants to buy another one.

I wonder why infantry can ride on armor in FB and Red Thunder and not in Battle for Normandy. We buy something to have fun and since I bought SF2 I have not put it down. I played Battle for Normandy 2 days ago and wondered why the tanks were so slow. Yes, I played WW 2 again. 

14 hours ago, BornGinger said:

Shall we guess how long we think it takes before Zloba decides to try a pbem-game?

It might be sooner than you think actually. After i'm finished with the tutorial campaings i'll have a look on the Battle Drill Tactical Problems, where i saw some PBEM scenarios. And i'm really looking forward to it.

13 hours ago, mjkerner said:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

😂 Thanks, i've been warned but already pushed the button. Game is installed.

11 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

I wanna take wagers on how long it takes before a second purchase is made! Before or after the first pbem @mjkerner

Well i really hope it will take a loong time before i do as i don't want to buy bundles every month 😄

Ok guys, thanks again for helping me out with my decision. Gonna do some training drills and i'll be back when i have some report to do.

Zloba out

32 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I wonder why infantry can ride on armor in FB and Red Thunder and not in Battle for Normandy.

Older game with older code.....Tank riding was introduced with CM:RT and as CM:FB folowed that title it was included in that game.

Whether it will be added to the other titles in future updates (Engine 5?) is in the lap of the gods.

1 hour ago, Zloba said:

It might be sooner than you think actually. After i'm finished with the tutorial campaings i'll have a look on the Battle Drill Tactical Problems, where i saw some PBEM scenarios. And i'm really looking forward to it.

Welcome abroad Zloba! With CMBN big bundle you have contents for years :)

This guy might really enjoy @MOS:96B2P's TacOps mission and the one after too. Focuses on very small scale operations on a single map. The scenario twists and wrings every ounce this game can offer. Also it should teach you a lot of the technical side of cm (Something learned after being a grog for a while around here). 

I think its CM:SF2 though. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Zloba said:

😂 Thanks, i've been warned but already pushed the button. Game is installed.

Well i really hope it will take a loong time before i do as i don't want to buy bundles every month 😄

Ok guys, thanks again for helping me out with my decision. Gonna do some training drills and i'll be back when i have some report to do.

Zloba out

You can transfer maps between every title except CMSF, CMA, and the first gen CM's. 

Otherwise, CMBS, CMRT, CMBN, CMFI, CMFB can all share maps between the titles. Takes literally 5-10 seconds a map to "convert". Which is just changing one number in the file using a hexidecimal editor (Hexed.it is the fastest website ive come across. Upload the file, change the number, redownload the file, then place in the target game's maps folder and boom !

You WANT the other titles bro. 

56 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

chuckdyke, like the Sarge said, tank riding came after CMBN was released. BFC said that they would need to make all new tank models in order integrate riders. A lot of work; maybe some day.

There is a difference just to employ them as transport which is no problem in a scenario. (troops just arrive on the battlefield as per normal). Or as assault troops who disembark during an attack. The latter was a typical Russian tactic on the eastern front. If they do 'Fire and Rubble' properly they need to model the Soviet armor to enable Soviet tank riders. In Final Blitzkrieg the attack on Herlissheim the US forces use their tanks as transport over a large map. I thoroughly enjoyed that battle, the tank passengers were just that passengers. Did their attacks wel after they disembarked. In FB however a scout can board a tank and share intel to the tank crew. The reason I find FB an enjoyable game.