ATG swapping guns?

14 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Again I'm not sure how that happened.....While LMGs can be aquired by Buddy-Aid, HMGs are treated as crew served, AFAIK once abandoned, they're gone!

Not killed. I put a 6 pounder on them and they abandoned but they did come back I swear. Surprised me too! Wrong scenario mentioned as I just remembered. Facade Troop was the scenario. Don't want to do a spoiler but SPOILER:

it was in the windmill on the 3rd (?) floor. It didn't even seem to have a floor so don't know where they went in the meanwhile...

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Again I'm not sure how that happened.....While LMGs can be aquired by Buddy-Aid, HMGs are treated as crew served, AFAIK once abandoned, they're gone!

It is a little silly an MG42 can't be acquired if it is on a tripod. If they are traveling, they are in light machine gun mode. Does it make any difference? 

My recommendation.....Make a test in the editor. 

It will require a little bit of thinking to get it to work just how you need it to and it will help you to familiarise yourself with the post powerful part of the game.

PS - I reckon half the scenarios I make start this way; Something comes up in dscussion here, I make some expermental stuff to find my own personal answers, discover something that amuses/impresses/surprises me.....Next thing you know I'm writing a scenario around it.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

13 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

You can't pick up the spare ammo if you buddy aid a fallen ammo bearer? 

My non-scientific experience seems to suggest that troops will pick up ammo up to their normal load - i.e., if they are low they will pick up some - but they will not pick up huge amounts of ammo that might slow them down.

2 hours ago, Freyberg said:

My non-scientific experience seems to suggest that troops will pick up ammo up to their normal load - i.e., if they are low they will pick up some - but they will not pick up huge amounts of ammo that might slow them down.

It is a way out of sharing ammo from a knocked out AT gun, look for the ammo-bearers and do buddy aid. 

• 3 weeks later...

So this is utterly maddening! 20min into the fight now, and I've managed to get the ammo bearer to recover and rejoin his ATG; HOWEVER, he still won't give up the 7 rounds of HE that the game says he's carrying! At this point, he is kneeling, literally right next to them, and they still 'have no more HE ammo'. Am I missing something!

I'm also noticing an issue with buddy aid in general during this battle - 9mm ammo supply is a major issue for the airborne, so I've moved up units/teams that still have plenty of it next to units that are out, but there absolutely no transfer taking place whatsoever! Do they have to be of the same platoon? A bug?

Thinking about it. The Germans used 9 mm x 19mm for their MP40's the same round the Commonwealth used for their Sten. You can't scavenge 9mm x19mm from enemy units. Take them out of their magazine and put it on your own. Easy to say for us just how do you write the code for this? 

RMM, Chuck’s right about the ATG issue in general, but you implied the ammo bearer belongs to that particular gun,  so not sure what the deal would be. Is there more than one ATG from the same unit nearby? If so, then the “7” rounds that ammo bearer is showing could be total for that unit, and they are all with the other gun...but that’s a long shot and probably not the situation in your game. As for the 9mm, there is no big ammo swap made when infantry share ammo, but it’s shared basically a magazine at a time as the teams are in proximity and as they fire. So you’ll see the ammo count go down faster on those guys with the ammo, but the out of ammo guys won’t show any increase in their ready rounds. I hope that’s the situation, otherwise there is a real problem.

11 hours ago, mjkerner said:

RMM, Chuck’s right about the ATG issue in general, but you implied the ammo bearer belongs to that particular gun,  so not sure what the deal would be. Is there more than one ATG from the same unit nearby? If so, then the “7” rounds that ammo bearer is showing could be total for that unit, and they are all with the other gun...but that’s a long shot and probably not the situation in your game. As for the 9mm, there is no big ammo swap made when infantry share ammo, but it’s shared basically a magazine at a time as the teams are in proximity and as they fire. So you’ll see the ammo count go down faster on those guys with the ammo, but the out of ammo guys won’t show any increase in their ready rounds. I hope that’s the situation, otherwise there is a real problem.

Yes, this is the original ammo bearer for that unit and gun. He and his partner took a pretty bad hit early on and he ran off though. Having now managed to get him to rejoin the unit, he is sticking around, albeit still Tired and Rattled - does that have anything to do with it?

Interesting about not seeing their ammo allotment increase. For the time being, I've had them hidden, so not firing while waiting for the ammo xfer. That may well be the issue then.

I absolutely agree with chuckdyke - one thing missing from this game so far is the ability to pickup any abandoned weapons and ammo from either side. That would definitely add an extra layer :), but yes, I imagine the coding could be fraut!

30 minutes ago, RMM said:

Yes, this is the original ammo bearer for that unit and gun. He and his partner took a pretty bad hit early on and he ran off though. Having now managed to get him to rejoin the unit, he is sticking around, albeit still Tired and Rattled - does that have anything to do with it?

Interesting about not seeing their ammo allotment increase. For the time being, I've had them hidden, so not firing while waiting for the ammo xfer. That may well be the issue then.

I absolutely agree with chuckdyke - one thing missing from this game so far is the ability to pickup any abandoned weapons and ammo from either side. That would definitely add an extra layer :), but yes, I imagine the coding could be fraut!

If his partner run off, was it a member of the crew? If that is the case the ATG is abandoned and disabled. It doesn't say it in the game and is confusing. Rattled probably has something to do with it. To make him obey anything you must have an HQ nearby. After Rattled you have Shaken and Panic then you don't have any control at all. It may matter what level you play. I play at Iron in which you see instantly of your HQ is in visual contact of his men during the replay phase. 

Edited by chuckdyke

14 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

If his partner run off, was it a member of the crew? If that is the case the ATG is abandoned and disabled. It doesn't say it in the game and is confusing. Rattled probably has something to do with it. To make him obey anything you must have an HQ nearby. After Rattled you have Shaken and Panic then you don't have any control at all. It may matter what level you play. I play at Iron in which you see instantly of your HQ is in visual contact of his men during the replay phase. 

He was part of the original, two-man ammo bearer team. The crew is still intact and manning the gun, but have fired off all their inherent HE. The rest of the story is as written. He has recovered some from an Exhausted and Shaken condition, and I can control him; hence why he's back, adjacent to the gun crew he serves, just no ammo xfer. I tried having the crew fire at infantry a couple of times, but they used their AP ammo, so it wasn't like he would xfer the HE as they fired it. :(

3 minutes ago, RMM said:

He was part of the original, two-man ammo bearer team. The crew is still intact and manning the gun, but have fired off all their inherent HE. The rest of the story is as written. He has recovered some from an Exhausted and Shaken condition, and I can control him; hence why he's back, adjacent to the gun crew he serves, just no ammo xfer. I tried having the crew fire at infantry a couple of times, but they used their AP ammo, so it wasn't like he would xfer the HE as they fired it. :(

Exhausted you recover from, but he doesn't recover from being Rattled. Rattled is the last condition from which you can plot waypoints and fire orders. My experience is your luck is in the hands of the Tactical AI. Rested Moral OK with a +1 or +2 motivation the Pixeltruppen follow the players orders. In real life the amusing incident happened 40 JS2 pulled up in front of a suspected Pak75 mm position. Indeed, the Russians were correct there were 2 Pak 75 mm there however for some reason the guns didn't dare to fire. This is the sort of situation the game mimics. Another example I never plot a fire order for a 'sniper'. Small cover arc at the position the sniper had a full contact with. During a replay 6 turns later I saw a Red Cross. Replayed again heard a single shot yes, the sniper had now one round less. Trust the Tactical AI more than yourself and you never look back.

11 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Exhausted you recover from, but he doesn't recover from being Rattled. Rattled is the last condition from which you can plot waypoints and fire orders. My experience is your luck is in the hands of the Tactical AI. Rested Moral OK with a +1 or +2 motivation the Pixeltruppen follow the players orders. In real life the amusing incident happened 40 JS2 pulled up in front of a suspected Pak75 mm position. Indeed, the Russians were correct there were 2 Pak 75 mm there however for some reason the guns didn't dare to fire. This is the sort of situation the game mimics. Another example I never plot a fire order for a 'sniper'. Small cover arc at the position the sniper had a full contact with. During a replay 6 turns later I saw a Red Cross. Replayed again heard a single shot yes, the sniper had now one round less. Trust the Tactical AI more than yourself and you never look back.

Am learning that, and for the most part think it's good, but I would also think, if he can accept orders, even ones to fire on the enemy, he should surely be able to just xfer the ammo to his gun crew, his primary duty. After all, that is his primary job and surely involves less risk than the orders.

Anyho, if he continues to 'cling to his ammo', I'll send him off to get a jeep, so I can move the gun to a better position altogether

@RMM Welcome to the game. He was previously shaken or may even have panicked and now he recovered into a 'Rattled' state. Which will be permanent. I can suggest a tactic for you, Ammo bearers will be the first in position where the ATG, Mortar or HMG will be. A great way to check LOS. I don't think it is a bug but the way the game operates and sometimes we just can't override the TacAI with our micromanagement.