ATG swapping guns?

1 minute ago, Vacilllator said:

Is that correct Ian, assuming you mean into the same type of tank as well?  I'm sure I've embarked a bailed out Tiger crew into a different dismounted Tiger back in the day and they were able to operate it effectively.  I can check through my saves if it's worth it - think it was Carius at Malinova/Malinovka.

Yes, I am correct. 🙂 You have never been able to bail a crew out of tank one and then have them remount tank two.

17 minutes ago, IanL said:

Yes, I am correct. 🙂 You have never been able to bail a crew out of tank one and then have them remount tank two.

Okay, perhaps I'll check.  Last night I also dismounted two Sdkfz 251/2 drivers who weren't busy 😁 and got them both to mount an abandoned Sdkfz 251/1 - one as driver and the other as machine gunner.  Is that different to what you describe?

Edited by Vacilllator

17 minutes ago, IanL said:

But then you might have crews in vehicles that have no clue how to operate them :D

And that NEVER happens:

2ZMAc.jpg

C'mon @Battlefront.com.....It might be fun to face a Green, -2, Fanatic, Abrams with Scarce ammo (that speaks Arabic), rather than the usual fully equipped veterans!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

10 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Oay, perhaps I'll check.  Last night I also dismounted two Sdkfz 251/2 drivers who weren't busy 😁 and got them both to mount an abandoned Sdkfz 251/1 - one as driver and the other as machine gunner.  Is that different to what you describe?

This is the irritating thing, it works with SOME vehicles in the editor & it works with SOME vehicles 'in-game', here's an old example relating to my post above:

e7eUdFz.jpg

Those HMMWVs are crewed entirely by Uncon fighters, no mods are used, they function just as they should.....The crews can even Acquire ammo (if I could give them NATO weapons they could use it too).  B)

The price of all this is either one reinforcement slot and a battle duration of under three hours, or a cunning excuse for a Yank fighting alongside ISIS in the mission briefing.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

Okay, perhaps I'll check.  Last night I also dismounted two Sdkfz 251/2 drivers who weren't busy 😁 and got them both to mount an abandoned Sdkfz 251/1 - one as driver and the other as machine gunner.  Is that different to what you describe?

If a vehicle can take passengers, you can swap crews. Otherwise, you can't.

51 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

If a vehicle can take passengers, you can swap crews. Otherwise, you can't.

Yes, I agree the crewed vehicles can swap so that might be it.  I did think I'd swapped Tiger crews as mentioned but an attempt to replicate it in a Final Blitzkrieg QB says not.  Enjoying playing with this though, so will re-visit it in one of the other WW2 titles.

Edit : Having re-visited the saves in the Carius battle I think it is possible I re-mounted with the same crew which had earlier bailed out.  And in looking at it I was reminded what a great battle that is.

Edited by Vacilllator

5 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

Is that correct Ian, assuming you mean into the same type of tank as well?  I'm sure I've embarked a bailed out Tiger crew into a different dismounted Tiger back in the day and they were able to operate it effectively.  I can check through my saves if it's worth it - think it was Carius at Malinova/Malinovka.

Please try it out in Battle for Normandy. MG Counterattack at Son. I tried to make a screen shot by bailing out a HQ crew from his Panther tank and the crew of one other Panther tank. My screen shot didn't record the move icon, so it is pointless to show the screenshot. The HQ crew couldn't mount a different Panther. However, in the tutorial campaign 'Devon Basic Training' you can bail out the drivers and they can crew a different truck. 

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

@Sgt.Squarehead read my reply to @Vacilllator I tested it in MG Counterattack at Son and Devon Basic Training.

I did, but it really doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know.....I am absolutely aware of what can be swapped in any and all CM titles, by dint of having tried it, with almost everything.  Seriously!  ;)

My general rule of thumb is that if a vehicle can be emptied with the Dismount command it can probably be crew-swapped.  If it requires the Bail Out command to get everyone out, it probably cannot be crew-swapped.

However I wouldn't guarantee that to be 100% accurate either (as I said earler, what can be done in the editor and what can be done in-game is very different).  :rolleyes:

PS - I'm messing with a possible workaround to this right now and I am cautiously optimistic that I can get my OSIRIS Uncon Fighters aboard a captured LMTV (to swipe it's Javelins), but only in game and only under Human control, obviously.....I've aleady killed off the US crewman, but the vehicle remains promisingly immobilised, waiting for an OSIRIS team to arrive.   

If I can pull this off I'll be feeling really quite smug for a while!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

The point of the exercise:

D1snJs4.jpg

and the intended recipients:

Llvasgt.jpg

If this all works as hoped it will become a full blown scenario in my OSIRIS Mileu.....One day!  ;)

We'll find out if they can get into the LMTV & nick the Javelins tomorrow.....I'm too knackered to do it now.  :blink:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

@Sgt.Squarehead with the radio issue for Red Forces. Would it be possible to have different FOW settings? Let's say Red on Basic Training or Veteran Blue on Elite or Iron. That way Blue depends on its latest technology and Red as part of the community knows what goes on. It is part of a hearts and mind campaign. The other way is 'Safe Houses' which enables Red to update their C2. Just a quick edit. Just opened a Red Force and had a quick look. They at least should have a PDA (Read Mobile Phone). If they use it Blue should or could be made aware which of their units has been spotted. Yes at best they are at present on par with WW 2 units if lucky. 

Edited by chuckdyke
adding

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

My general rule of thumb is that if a vehicle can be emptied with the Dismount command it can probably be crew-swapped.  If it requires the Bail Out command to get everyone out, it probably cannot be crew-swapped.

I think I'd agree with this after some much more limited testing than you've done. 

I did also find some odd things (to me at least) in testing.  Tried to swap two Panther crews in FB (with tank riding of course).  Bailed them out and then moved/embarked to each others' tanks.  No surpises, they jumped on the back.  Dismounted and returned them to their own tanks, but only one crew would mount up again, the other would only embark on the back. 

Tried the same with two 2-man Sdkfz 251 crews, when I dismounted (on an empty map) one member of one of the crews disappeared.  I could however both swap and re-crew as described earlier in the thread , but was now missing a gunner.

On the same empty map I tried the same with two Tigers.  Bailed them out and one of the Tigers was immediately destroyed.  End of test 😉.

Edited by Vacilllator

13 hours ago, Freyberg said:

If a vehicle can take passengers, you can swap crews. Otherwise, you can't

That isn't true for lorries. I had three Opel lorries in a game and had the drivers leave them. When I wanted to get them back into them they often decided to sit in the back instead off behind the stearing wheel. After some swapping back and forth I finaly got it right.

25 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

That isn't true for lorries. I had three Opel lorries in a game and had the drivers leave them. When I wanted to get them back into them they often decided to sit in the back instead off behind the stearing wheel. After some swapping back and forth I finaly got it right.

I tested it in Devon Basic training this morning you can do it there. @Sgt.Squarehead quoted if you Bail Out you can't swap vehicles if you dismount you can most of the time. 

5 hours ago, BornGinger said:

This what I'm trying to do right now with my in game test.....I added a US truck to the Red force, set to immobilised, bailed the crewman and then blew him up with an IED (or 24).  The truck remains intact and dismounted, hopefully once OSIRIS arrive they can mount up and loot it. 

I don't think you can do this with a fully intact mobile truck as the dismounted (by Bail Out) crewman may well snap back into his truck at game start.

RL is interfering with testing, but I'll have a result today for sure.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

46 minutes ago, IanL said:

I'm not 100% sure how the rules are applied across all vehicles. But for tanks and battle taxis that have specialized weapons you cannot swap crews. Sorry there is some inconsistency in simple transports.

I don't think anyone knows all of the quirks of this.....I was fully expecting the truck in my current experiment to flip from Immobilised to Destroyed when the crewmen died.

But it didn't!  :o

My next test will be to see if OSIRIS can board the truck.

Regardless of the result there I will then seek out the mangled remains of the truck crew and administer Buddy-Aid.....To see what happens to the truck when they vanish from the map.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I noticed while playing Boys against Men scenario in CMBN that an AI machine gunner abandoned their HMG and remanned it a few turns later. Don't know if we can do that though. Thankfully I figured (by watching the AI) that you can remount a new gunner in halftracks after the original is capped. I did that with a scout team from a nearby squad. Remount or bail a good maxim SSquarhead. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, KGBoy said:

I noticed while playing Boys against Men scenario in CMBN that an AI machine gunner abandoned their HMG and remanned it a few turns later.

How?  The AI can't mount vehicles, only dismount.

Are you sure another one didn't spawn as a reinforcement?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

56 minutes ago, KGBoy said:

AI machine gunner abandoned their HMG and remanned it a few turns later. Don't know if we can do that though.

If the AI can do it, the player can do it too. I don't think the gunner abandoned the HMG but that the crew members took turns shooting with it. I've seen that happen before.

If a HMG team member is shot anyone in the team takes his place. This carries on until all are dead or wounded. Unfortunately a HMG with all team members dead or wounded can't be used by any other infantry man, which I think is a pity.

Edited by BornGinger

28 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How?  The AI can't mount vehicles, only dismount.

Are you sure another one didn't spawn as a reinforcement?

Sorry. 2 different actions. The HMG was a stationary in a building. It read abandoned but they came back!