ATG swapping guns?

13 minutes ago, George MC said:

Short answer - no. Once they abandon the gun they cannot redrew it or another. 
You can share tho if there is an ammo store close by e.g. they’re towing vehicle or ammo stash. 

Unfortunately, it's just the two AT guns near to each other, but the crew of one got blasted, leaving all their ammo just lying around, while the other crew are still firing away but running out

41 minutes ago, RMM said:

Unfortunately, it's just the two AT guns near to each other, but the crew of one got blasted, leaving all their ammo just lying around, while the other crew are still firing away but running out

How far apart? Are the dead guns ammo guys (not crew) dead? Do you have ammo guys for your surviving gun?

9 hours ago, George MC said:

How far apart? Are the dead guns ammo guys (not crew) dead? Do you have ammo guys for your surviving gun?

Very close, maybe 50ft apart. Hmm...ammo guys. I only remember seeing one team between the two gun crews, but I'll need to check on that. Good call. 

Gun crew can't abandon a gun and start using it again and also if the team which is carrying ammo for one gun [gun 1] die and the gun crew for another gun [gun 2] die, both guns of the same kind, it seems the ammo carrying team from the gun 2 aren't able to help the gun crew for the gun 1.

So in the end there is a gun with crew without ammo and a gun with ammo carriers with ammo which can't work together.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also having issues with the ammo carriers transferring to their assigned gun! One of the team got taken out, and the other ran off with 7 HE rounds! Well...it says the team still has 7 HE rounds on them. Having finally coaxed the one healthy guy back to the gun (who are, by now out of HE :(  ), there's no xfer of the HE ammo taking place. I've now issued an order to the healthy guy top crawl over to his fallen teammate, and perhaps, once he's 'buddy healed' that guy, he'll have the ammo and can xfer to the gun crew?

I've yet to see, if he can crawl over to other gun position and retrieve their ammo through buddy healing too. Further thoughts anyone? Any of the game developers on here willing to take on a future patch under consideration for this issue?

I don't know whether a ammo carrier team with space for more ammo is able to retrieve ammo from an ammo carrier team where all members are dead. I think it works with Panzerschreck teams and would think it could work with ammo carrier teams. But you will find out after three or four turns.

The issue with ammo carrier teams not being able to help the gun crew (or mortar crew) for other guns (mortars) which use the same ammo is hopefully something that can be changed in a future patch.

2 hours ago, RMM said:

I've yet to see, if he can crawl over to other gun position and retrieve their ammo through buddy healing too. Further thoughts anyone?

A PAK-Front type scenario, built around an AT Gun Battery, on a moderate to large map might be an amusing way to find out the answer to your question.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

48 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

A PAK-Front type scenario, built around an AT Gun Battery, on a moderate to large map might be an amusing way to find out the answer to your question.

Well, it's actually a very real possibility for the Lonsdale scenario I'm playing now, expect that it's PBEM, so I have to wait, but first I have to get him to (presumably) retrieve the HE ammo from his fallen colleague, xfer that to 'his' gun crew before crawling over to the other one.

I had the same, it was the 60 mm mortar. An ammo carrier couldn't supply a different mortar which belonged to a different platoon. It is something they could investigate. Gun crews in general, would act very sensible if they seek cover during a barrage. But in our case, it counts as abandoning their guns. 

22 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Gun crews in general, would act very sensible if they seek cover during a barrage. But in our case, it counts as abandoning their guns.

That's abstracted with the Hide command.....If they're in decent cover (trenches for instance) using that command should noticeably reduce casualties from bombardment.

3 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Gun crews in general, would act very sensible if they seek cover during a barrage. But in our case, it counts as abandoning their guns. 

That's the reason to why some people put a gun crew on top of a foxhole. When the enemy is sending their hard rain the gun team can seek cover in the foxhole below them and jump back up when the barrage is over.

13 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

An ammo carrier couldn't supply a different mortar which belonged to a different platoon.

It is a game design decision that ammo is only shared between teams in the same platoon. I don't recall ever reading an explanation as to why but it is long standing and I highly doubt it will be changed.

10 minutes ago, IanL said:

It is a game design decision that ammo is only shared between teams in the same platoon. I don't recall ever reading an explanation as to why but it is long standing and I highly doubt it will be changed.

That doesn't seem very sensible to me.....Might it be to stop people from heavily customising formations in H2H battles, by deleting the other guns but leaving their bearers to give single gun teams with vast ammo supplies?  :rolleyes:

If so might, I suggest that people just don't play against folk who do that sort of thing.  :mellow:

Please leave common sense intact for the rest of us who don't cheat, but who do sometimes find themselves fighting to the last with a single AT Gun and a few surviving ammo bearers!  ;)

PS - & for scenario designers who sometimes come up with perfectly valid concepts that BF just didn't think of.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

27 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That doesn't seem very sensible to me.....Might it be to stop people from heavily customising formations in H2H battles, by deleting the other guns but leaving their bearers to give single gun teams with vast ammo supplies?  :rolleyes:

If so might, I suggest that people just don't play against folk who do that sort of thing.  :mellow:

Please leave common sense intact for the rest of us who don't cheat, but who do sometimes find themselves fighting to the last with a single AT Gun and a few surviving ammo bearers!  ;)

PS - & for scenario designers who sometimes come up with perfectly valid concepts that BF just didn't think of.

A 'Crack HQ Tank' Get their vehicle immobilized and bail out. I dismounted a Green Crew and tried to let the Crack HQ to man their tank. 🤢🌩⚡💥

Edited by chuckdyke
spelling

11 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I dismounted a Green Crew and tied to let the Crack HQ to man their tank. 🤢🌩⚡💥

As have we all, at some point.  ;)

TBH I'm not convinced that this is something that would happen very often within the scope of a battle, but in a campaign the more senior crews might be expected to have the option to take charge of surviving vehicles.

Crew-swapping more generally would be a very, very cool thing.....If it were unlocked scenario designers could have an awful lot of fun with it, especially if they worked in conjunction with a modding team.  They don't have to use it, but the option to do so would be very cool, if only in the editor itself (rather than in-game as described above).

@37mm  Just think of the amount of grief this option would have saved us with the vehicles in 'H&E'.....Were it available.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

13 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

As have we all, at some point.  ;)

TBH I'm not convinced that this is something that would happen very often within the scope of a battle, but in a campaign the more senior crews might be expected to have the option to take charge of surviving vehicles.

Crew-swapping more generally would be a very, very cool thing.....If it were unlocked scenario designers could have an awful lot of fun with it, especially if they worked in conjunction with a modding team.  They don't have to use it, but the option to do so would be very cool, if only in the editor itself (rather than in-game as described above).

@37mm  Just think of the amount of grief this option would have saved us with the vehicles in 'H&E'.....Were it available.  :rolleyes:

Here is possibly an interesting link for you. These people use a 3D map-making engine which looks like the one in CM but to a much greater scale. The cool thing is they can make below the ground features of a structure. 

Army University Press - YouTube 

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

I dismounted a Green Crew and tried to let the Crack HQ to man their tank. 🤢🌩⚡💥

If both teams are using the same type of tanks it should be possible, I think. But if one team is driving a Panzer IV (or for example a Sherman M4) and the other team a Panzer V (or for example an M5 light tank or M18 Hellcat ) it won't work.

4 minutes ago, IanL said:

No, there is no cross remounting of tanks or other AFVs. I you bail out a crew they can only go back into that same tank. Given that usually crews of damaged tanks would just move to the rear this works fine.

Tend to agree 'in game'.....But just think of what could be done in the editor!  B)

8 minutes ago, IanL said:

No, there is no cross remounting of tanks or other AFVs. I you bail out a crew they can only go back into that same tank. Given that usually crews of damaged tanks would just move to the rear this works fine.

Is that correct Ian, assuming you mean into the same type of tank as well?  I'm sure I've embarked a bailed out Tiger crew into a different dismounted Tiger back in the day and they were able to operate it effectively.  I can check through my saves if it's worth it - think it was Carius at Malinova/Malinovka.