Welcome to 2021!

2 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Well I expected you to have a need to be first 😁

Genuine just says that that's the 'real' benefit. I usually don't pre order but just buy when I see it's available. And indeed I doubt that I'll miss it for weeks 🤣

I don't think that's the idea behind pre-ordering. I'm not sure, but if I recall correctly you can pre-order for a higher price, so you will get a DVD by post before other people can download the game. So yes, it has to do with making some extra money.

Pre-orders don’t cost more. One point, if not the only one, was to be notified slightly ahead of time (a couple of hours) so you can beat the download rush and congestion that inevitably happens once it’s announced the game is ready for download. That never works, however, cuz someone always posts that it’s up on the BFC website as soon as they get the early notice.

12 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Pre-orders don’t cost more. One point, if not the only one, was to be notified slightly ahead of time (a couple of hours) so you can beat the download rush and congestion that inevitably happens once it’s announced the game is ready for download. That never works, however, cuz someone always posts that it’s up on the BFC website as soon as they get the early notice.

I see. Well, in that case I will also pre-order, although I never had problems downloading.

3 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I see. Well, in that case I will also pre-order, although I never had problems downloading.

Me too, even though I don't have enough time to play the Red Thunder I already have.  FB and BN have taken over (shocking as I'm usually an East Front type of guy) and even FI has had to take a back seat.  Anyway, it's all good 😁.

10 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Me too, even though I don't have enough time to play the Red Thunder I already have.  FB and BN have taken over (shocking as I'm usually an East Front type of guy) and even FI has had to take a back seat.  Anyway, it's all good 😁.

Each game has it's own merits. As you say, it's all good.

10 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Aragorn, I will pre-order just because it makes me feel good. and it probably makes our friends at BFC feel good to get lots of early orders.  I am spending the money anyway, so doesn't hurt me to spend it a month or two early.

I will follow your example. And the day we can download I take the rest of the week off, retreat into my study room and only open the door for my wife if she brings me food. 😃 If she won't  New York Pizza will have a good week.

Edited by Aragorn2002

17 hours ago, IanL said:

Yuck, no thanks.

It is not at all reasonable for a squad leader getting his men out of harms way to have multi minute delays just because a lot of order segments are involved. I realize the command delays are good at representing communication delays and experience for higher up commanders. It utterly fails for lower level officers and NCOs. Since in CM you play all command levels it just do not work.

I guess one must do many things wrong in order to always end up with multi-minute delays just to get his men out of harms way in CM1.

The claim that such challenges don´t matter for platoon and company level sounds like an opinion based on the fact that videogames is probably the closest one came to an infantry officer course or actual command.

It was obvious beforehand that it is a feature some like some don´t, hence why an optional implementation.

Persistent maps were also a great feature.

Edited by Aquila-SmartWargames

maybe I don't need pre-order because I will never ever ever ever ever play CM again (kidding).  Last night lost 4 tiger tanks in 60 seconds in St Vith battle in CMFB (one tiger1, three tiger2).  To 57mm & sherman 75mm fire!  Two destroyed, two immobilized.  Flanking fire. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

I know this is realistic WW2 warfare, based on what I've read, but it HURTS

10 hours ago, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

I guess one must do many things wrong in order to always end up with multi-minute delays just to get his men out of harms way in CM1.

Nope. the command delays built up as you added way points. Having to add three or four way points to get guys out of the street and into cover in a back yard is common. A squad would not stand in the middle of the street for a minute while the Sargent explained to them to be careful not to break the fence or step on any flowers 🙂

The claim that such challenges don´t matter for platoon and company level

I did not claim that.

sounds like an opinion based on the fact that videogames is probably the closest one came to an infantry officer course or actual command.

LOL yeah I don't have battlefield experience you got me. Good thing for me I did not claim that I had. Also this is the only video game I play - well other than Angry Birds :D 

Persistent maps were also a great feature.

Agreed it would.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:31 PM, mjkerner said:

This is correct. I am trying to remember the release....it was a while ago....maybe the initial release of CMFB or CMRT or somefink....The servers got overloaded and download speeds were criminally slow. At the risk of being boring, the way it works is that when the title is uploaded it propagates into multiple servers (we use the same ones Amazon uses). This can take sometime. Once it's spread out enough slow download speeds aren't a problem. So, the process that we've developed since then is that I wait hours before sending notifications to pre-orders after making the title "live". In that notification we ask folks to please keep it on the downlow for a while so it can continue to propagate the servers. It also gives us a some time in case there is something critically wrong with the uploaded files. Like if they had become corrupted during the upload. This usually results in a 12-24 hour gap between when pre-order notifications go out and a public announcement of the release is made. From the time the notifications go out the title is available for non-pre-order purchases in the online store. The number of people that check the store hourly is small (my guess) and isn't enough to alter what the "soft" release is accomplishing.  But, as you mentioned, the call to keep it on the downlow for a bit is usually broken by a coupla/few people. That is where uploading hours before sending out the notifications helps. 

That is the mechanics of how it works.

There is no financial benefit. I'm not even sure what that means. The pricing is identical for pre-orders and release.

1 hour ago, mjkerner said:

From the CM Manual, Artkin:

You are all allowed one mistake, after which Wart’s will vilify you mercilessly. And may God have mercy on your damned soul!

BFC plays rough!

Artkin is correct. You are charged when the pre-order is placed. 

what?  that's it?? that's all the Dead Puritan has?  No obscure 80s UK music thing we don't understand?  No obscure UK history thing we don't understand?  No references to other UK things we can't even categorize because we have no idea what he's talking about at all?  This is a great disappointment.

1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

what?  that's it?? that's all the Dead Puritan has?  No obscure 80s UK music thing we don't understand?  No obscure UK history thing we don't understand?  No references to other UK things we can't even categorize because we have no idea what he's talking about at all?  This is a great disappointment.

When reading his comments I sometimes have the feeling I don't speak English at all.

1 hour ago, mjkerner said:

But, as for the piss poor response above, you have to consider the poor guy has been dead for a very long time. Dull’s the mind a bit, I reckon.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Brilliant one from MJK (obscure English cricketing reference, because I know @danfrodo will be wanting something obscure).In fact was going to blame the brevity on the fact that it was 04:25 GMT and I wasn't properly awake.