Welcome to 2021!

its a shame we can't have some way of saving that status of the battle once its over, like condition and status of all units etc, and the status of the map, so if you wish to keep on fighting or making multiple scenarios with a cascade affect etc without having to make a campaign.

and a list to some degree of the casualties per unit etc. is always something i like to see in detail. in similar fashion as done by close combat games.

2 hours ago, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

A feature to consider for engine upgrades is the command delay of CM1 being reinstated as an optional setting.

While I wouldn't object to seeing the delay return, I'd much rather see static campaigns with persistent map damage (and real fire too) first.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

its a shame we can't have some way of saving that status of the battle once its over, like condition and status of all units etc, and the status of the map, so if you wish to keep on fighting or making multiple scenarios with a cascade affect etc without having to make a campaign.

In CM1 you could import your final turn into the editor and add fresh units for a sequel.....Damage to the map, wrecked vehicles were all preserved.  IIRC fires went out though (but it was easy enough to start a new one).

5 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

its a must for a realistic war setting, it was important to have random spreading fire in CMBO, important and accurate

i also loved how strategic it could be, blocking alleys of movement, used to do it alot in berlin to Barbarossa

14 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

and a list to some degree of the casualties per unit etc. is always something i like to see in detail. in similar fashion as done by close combat games.

Speculatively, it would not surprise me if a detailed data output tool feature was implemented for the MoD version (given the requirement for post evaluation & analysis in mil training exercises). Does not mean the community will get it though - rather sounds like the very thing Steve refers to in his OP:

Definitely not the one that requires a dedicated high end system with 12GB of free RAM and hours of thumb twiddling time while numbers are crunched.  Oddly enough, we don’t see it being a commercially viable feature.

22 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Now when 99% of sales is online download I don't know what utility pre-ordering has anymore.

Some game companies seem to give those who preorder something extra as a bonus.

Maybe Battlefront could give those who preorder something as prestigious as a banner on the website saying for example "MikeyD - Hero of the Battlefront Community" or "MikeyD put his trust in our DLC. Do you do the same?"

Or why not give them a special forum icon to use here if they get bored with the one they have? That could make those who preorder a bit special and feel like a great bonus.

Have buildings on fire as mentioned above is something I have wanted for a long time. Would be great to have if BF would like to bring it back.

What was the reason to remove that feature in CM2?

Edited by BornGinger

23 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Pre-orders used to have some genuine utility back when BFC had to judge how many paper manuals and game CDs they should produce for release. Now when 99% of sales is online download I don't know what utility pre-ordering has anymore. Also sales through Steam has thrown BFC's sales forecast numbers all out of whack. Pre-order is still a pretty good marketing gimmick to generate some 'buzz' before the release date.

It's extra money. Plain and simple. If you want to create 'buzz' you can give more information about the coming module to those who are waiting.

44 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How?  :rolleyes:

It doesn't cost any more and if it means Steve & Co. have a bit of 'fluidity' to make things happen, I'm all for it.....Christ I pre-ordered that POS Cyberpunk 2077 so whingeing about Battlefront's pre-orders would be downright churlish.

Then, what is the use of pre-orders?

15 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Then, what is the use of pre-orders?

I'd suggest in general it allows producer/publishers to generate some return on the product prior to actual release. Given blockbuster games esp there is enormous overhead with no return on the product until release. That could be 2/3 years of staff salaries with absolutely nothing to show for it.

For same cash-flow reasons, it could also offer some flexibility (from publisher to developer) with the release window by extending some staff contracts so they can squash bugs/complete features/add polish etc..

Thirdly perhaps the larger publishers can get a picture from pre release orders what the projected sales of the product might be, given that they will have lots of data to compare sales with. Perhaps there are correlations between pre purchase figures and units shifted 6 months post release.

Most games on pre purchase carry a discount for the customer, DCS modules for example are always discounted during pre purchase window. With regard to BF, I believe the pre purchase SF2 bundle was discounted. I wouldn't have pre ordered otherwise.

Edited by The Steppenwulf

On 1/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, BornGinger said:

Some game companies seem to give those who preorder something extra as a bonus.

Maybe Battlefront could give those who preorder something as prestigious as a banner on the website saying for example "MikeyD - Hero of the Battlefront Community" or "MikeyD put his trust in our DLC. Do you do the same?"

Or why not give them a special forum icon to use here if they get bored with the one they have? That could make those who preorder a bit special and feel like a great bonus.

Meh. Who cares tbh

25 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

The genuine benefit of a pre-order at BFC is that you'll get an e-mail notifying you it's ready (at least in the past). Considering they usually soft-launch, that can be helpful if you need to be one of the first.

Is that a genuine benefit? 😃

Most of us check this forum on a daily basis anyway.

And need to be first? Why? 🤣

On 1/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

A feature to consider for engine upgrades is the command delay of CM1 being reinstated as an optional setting.

Yuck, no thanks.

It is not at all reasonable for a squad leader getting his men out of harms way to have multi minute delays just because a lot of order segments are involved. I realize the command delays are good at representing communication delays and experience for higher up commanders. It utterly fails for lower level officers and NCOs. Since in CM you play all command levels it just do not work.

8 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Is that a genuine benefit? 😃

Most of us check this forum on a daily basis anyway.

And need to be first? Why? 🤣

Well I expected you to have a need to be first 😁

Genuine just says that that's the 'real' benefit. I usually don't pre order but just buy when I see it's available. And indeed I doubt that I'll miss it for weeks 🤣