Welcome to 2021!

6 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Ah, lots of debate about this.  We've been reluctant to do this because, with certain exceptions, it seems that German soldiers engaged in combat followed the rules and wore their helmets.  The common exceptions being mountain troops and leadership elements.  Oh, and a particular character, who definitely was not an officer, wearing a well beaten M-43 in a particular movie is yet another exception :)

Steve

Thanks! I respect whichever decision you guys make, but it would be nice to be able to mod them in somehow!

Edited by Anonymous_Jonze

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

And the scenario designer will get to choose between two piece padded, greatcoat, or a mix of the two.

TY for the new years post, Im realy realy realy looking forward to the F&R module, cant wait to order the module. About being able to choose between uniforms in the editor is sweet music in my ears.

7 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

...Ah, lots of debate about this.  We've been reluctant to do this because, with certain exceptions, it seems that German soldiers engaged in combat followed the rules and wore their helmets.  The common exceptions being mountain troops and leadership elements.  Oh, and a particular character, who definitely was not an officer, wearing a well beaten M-43 in a particular movie is yet another exception :)

Steve

Follow me, and I'll show you where the fashion outliers grow... 😀

7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

BS-3 was a recent arrival to the title (yes, new content keeps getting added), I don't know if anyone wants to rework their finished scenarios to fit it in. I did a test of it using a converted QB map and it seems like a serviceable weapon. CMBS of course fields the MT-12 100mm gun.

BS3.jpg

Now that are nice and new screenshots.

You see? I can be positive. Just give me a reason.

Edited by Aragorn2002

8 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The sharpest comment of the year so far. Of course if I accused the Arrogant One of making a negative remark I'd get labelled a "fanboi". Oh, I feel something wet, what's that? Ah, it's just water off a duck's 

I rather think you're getting incontinent. Must be your age. 😜

Edited by Aragorn2002

Happy new year for you and your Staff Steve

It s very comforting to receive new information, including very beautiful screenshot, thank you for that.

I am really excited while waiting to see what the Fondation from the two "BF Sitlerine" (Les Deux Grands du Temp) will reserve us and will produce for us, and I am full confident to the alliance, and, for the time I can already remember a little text that makes me happy and smile, which is the word, "MIX", included many time in your text... for the time you can be sure that this serie of game that you and your staff created since loong tiime ago, are and stay for the TIME, one of the best reference and Masterpiece "I wait and will see" for the rest...

JM

Edited by 3j2m7

36 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Curiosity question: Does the game model any difference in infantry protection between soft hats and helmets?

Yes, though for WW2 it doesn't matter too much since steel helmets (for the most part) don't stop bullets or shell fragments..  Steel helmets offer a slight reduction in the chance of injury. Simulates more or less secondary effects such as flying debris (rocks, wood, bits of masonry, etc.).  In modern era there's a much bigger difference between soldiers wearing steel and Kevlar helmets as the latter offer ballistic protection and decent protection from shell fragments.

Steve

16 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:
56 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Curiosity question: Does the game model any difference in infantry protection between soft hats and helmets?

Yes, though for WW2 it doesn't matter too much since steel helmets (for the most part) don't stop bullets or shell fragments..  Steel helmets offer a slight reduction in the chance of injury. Simulates more or less secondary effects such as flying debris (rocks, wood, bits of masonry, etc.).

Thanks for the answer. I'm happy to hear there's a small effect in the game. I think steel helmets do stop quite a lot of shell fragments though, depending on size, speed, and range of course.

Edited by Bulletpoint

17 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Happy New Year!

First, let’s get the obvious out of the way.  Despite last year being Battlefront’s 20th anniversary of its first Combat Mission release, we’re happy to say goodbye and good riddance to 2020!  The past year of pandemic, political strife, economic disruption, toilette paper shortages, record setting fires, 2 albums from Taylor Swift, and other near misses with the apocalypse are now behind us.  We look forward to a better and brighter 2021 to start off our 3rd decade of Combat Mission fun.

Despite all the bad stuff that happened in 2020, for us at Battlefront it was a very productive year.  True, we didn’t have much in the way of new releases and that’s no doubt a disappointment to you all.  Fortunately you won’t have to wait much longer for something new.

The first thing you’ll see in 2021 is an end to the long wait for Red Thunder’s first additional content; Fire & Rubble.  See below for some screenshots.  This new Module is huge and soon we’ll have the webpages up to detail specifically what’s in it.  Preorders will kick in at the same time.  We’re nearly there!

The next release is Slitherine's re-release of Black Sea.  You’ll see signs of the Black Sea release on Matrix Games’ website very soon.  Other Combat Mission games are scheduled to be re-released steadily at the rate of one Family a quarter, with Battle for Normandy being next up.  As with Shock Force 2, all Battlefront customers get automatic and free access to the Slitherine Steam versions. 

No doubt it’s been noted that we did not announce or release an Engine Upgrade for 2020.  As things look right now, we are headed for Engine 5 Upgrade later this year.  I can’t promise that any of the features being added to the military version will get into your hands, however I expect a couple will.  Definitely not the one that requires a dedicated high end system with 12GB of free RAM and hours of thumb twiddling time while numbers are crunched.  Oddly enough, we don’t see it being a commercially viable feature.

Speaking of the military contract work, there's more than anticipated.  I can’t say much about it other than it’s going very well and we are structuring our development time to make sure our focus remains on the commercial work that you all get to enjoy.  It’s a balancing act for sure.  That said, let me reassure you that we view you guys as our core business and that means if push comes to shove the military folks will have to take a number and wait patiently for our attention.

Let’s see… is there anything else on the horizon that I can tell you about?  Nope, not at the moment.  The year is still young.

And with that, a huge thanks to all of you who have supported us over these many years.  Without you we’d not be here welcoming everybody to another year of Combat Mission.

THANK YOU!

Steve

And without further ado… F&R Bones!

FR Bone 1.jpg

FR Bone 2.jpg

FR Bone 3.jpg

FR Bone 4.jpg

FR Bone 5.jpg

Thank you for these info Steeve ! You can't imagine how impatient we are ! Best wishes from France.

PS: what about a new CM game " Blitzkrieg! May '40" ? 😉

Edited by FredLW

7 hours ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

BTW that picture of the 251/22 looks fantastic. I just hope the halftrack dosent fall apart when the gun fires 😃

I’ve been waiting for these little guys for ages. I played around with it a fair bit to make that shot different from the conventional front or side shot. 

10 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Even more beautiful pretty soon.  I'm going to tweak a few things so the headgear is varied between soft hats and helmets, as a mix seems to have been fairly common.  And the scenario designer will get to choose between two piece padded, greatcoat, or a mix of the two.

We'll post some more screenshots of uniforms, including Volkssturm, very soon.

Steve

Great news, thanks Steve! It looks like that F&R is finally at the gates. Nice screenshots, we can see that the bug with the SU100 commander's hatch (showed time ago) is solved.

By the way, now that we are talking about unifoms options and combinations, will the waffen troops use the winter parka together the traditional winter uniform used in other CM tittles?

Will we see panzergrenadiers units with M-43 and M-44 uniforms in the same squad?

And finally, I remember that somebody ot the team said in the forum that Fire and Rumble is coming with the german forces recovering old pz III versions. Any screenshots about those "old-new toys"?

I am excited for Normandy to be released on Steam. I bought it so long ago it uses the limited activation key lol. F&V might be what gets Red Thunder on my HD, I am a sucker for the 251/22. Black Sea getting a module would make my year, I just finished the last campaign I had yet to play from the battle pack and now i want more lol.

Happy new year!

Excited for F&R. Also good news all the BFC titles are going to Steam! So the CMSF2 Steam release was a success  🙂

15 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

No doubt it’s been noted that we did not announce or release an Engine Upgrade for 2020.  As things look right now, we are headed for Engine 5 Upgrade later this year.  I can’t promise that any of the features being added to the military version will get into your hands, however I expect a couple will.  Definitely not the one that requires a dedicated high end system with 12GB of free RAM and hours of thumb twiddling time while numbers are crunched.  Oddly enough, we don’t see it being a commercially viable feature.

I guess that's the feature which creates one 'movie' from all turns in a game? 😐

Personally (and I guess quite some others) would really like such a feature (unsupported), so that I can view / record a full AAR of a game without having to load each individual turn.

The required high-end system seems not that big of a problem (for me and probably other 'computer enthusiasts').
However, if it requires hours of number crunching it's probably fair to say that I might use it a couple of times at max. Perhaps I'd like to use it more often, but than comes reality.

OTOH for some of the better 'content creators' out there, who already investing many hours into putting together AAR video's, things might be different. Better to twiddle thumbs (or some nice napping) while the PC does the hard work, instead of loading/recording each separate turn and joining that in some editing studio program. 

Anyway that's probably just a very small portion of the 'audience'. In Dutch we have a great saying 'for nothing the sun rises'.

So I understand why you don't see it as a 'commercial viable' feature.

23 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The sharpest comment of the year so far. Of course if I accused the Arrogant One of making a negative remark I'd get labelled a "fanboi". Oh, I feel something wet, what's that? Ah, it's just water off a duck's back.

I dont understand always your Old English fine Art, but I like very much this one...