Unknown British Airborne weapon

Am playing Lonsdale Force scenario, and am seeing a mortar round depicted in the weapons field for most of the British Airborne Sections, and in the ammo section, I see approx 8 x 51mm Smoke rounds. What is this? A 51mm mortar with just some smoke rounds? Never heard of such a thing in the airborne arsenal. If a mortar, then I would presume said individual would have to be outside to fire it, right?

Just now, mjkerner said:

It’s a pretty common 2in mortar, with a little better range than a rifle grenade. Standard issue for British HQs, and maybe others?.

Granted in that I see the 2in(51mm) mortars along with all attendant ammo, including HE in separate sections, which was common, but why only the smoke ammo when part of a larger section? Ok, so it is another 2in mortar then.

The airborne had their own version of the 2inch mortar specifically for the purpose of firing smoke or flare rounds, I assume for indicating their position to follow up waves. It had a fabric strap attached so that it could be worn around the body.

I don't know how it is modelled in game but would suspect that it appears the same as the standard mortar. I also think that glider borne troops such as the South Staffordshires would have been equipped with the basic infantry mortar, rather than the parachute version. 

Just now, Warts 'n' all said:

The airborne had their own version of the 2inch mortar specifically for the purpose of firing smoke or flare rounds, I assume for indicating their position to follow up waves. It had a fabric strap attached so that it could be worn around the body.

I don't know how it is modelled in game but would suspect that it appears the same as the standard mortar. I also think that glider borne troops such as the South Staffordshires would have been equipped with the basic infantry mortar, rather than the parachute version. 

Ahh ok. I do see said units can target smoke, like any other To-Hit weapon. Alright, that explains it then. Tks guys

Just a quick follow up. It shows how long it is since I played "Lonsdale's Block", I had forgotten that it is actually modelled being fired from the shoulder. And that smoke can be fired from inside a building. Also, the mortarman carries a Sten which comes in handy when the close combat kicks off.

8 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Just a quick follow up. It shows how long it is since I played "Lonsdale's Block", I had forgotten that it is actually modelled being fired from the shoulder. And that smoke can be fired from inside a building. Also, the mortarman carries a Sten which comes in handy when the close combat kicks off.

Ah hah. Now that is good info indeed! Thanks :)

When you say 'modelled', you're referring to if one were to zoom in on the actual soldier?

2 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Yes, that's right. And I think that it looks great.

I will be zooming in to take a look next time, I'm in the scenario! :)

So what actual weapon is this based on then? I'm familiar with the 2in mortar, but shoulder-fired?

13 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

This is the best photo I can find showing the strap attached.   

Airborne Mortar.jpg

And this was shoulder-fired? I'm just wondering because of the notorious, Japanese 'knee mortar' whose nomenclature was initially responsible for many a US Marine's femur!

33 minutes ago, SimpleSimon said:

Most certainly not. The strap is just for carrying. The rest is a spade for firing from the ground. 

Makes sense, thanks. Good to know it can, nonetheless be fired from inside a building though