In the picture above I put the 21 C team in the same vehicle as the Tac Air Control Party. The result is that the intel of the scouts gets relayed to the Tac Air Control Party. On Iron difficulty people who don't share the C2 Link remain blissfully unaware. This works also with the other Forward Observers. The Artillery Observer is teamed up with the HQ of the recon party. The idea of wargaming against the AI experiment and see what works. You find much less LOS issues. 

I never bothered playing Iron as I couldn't see much difference from Elite, but if one plays the C2 "game" it looks interesting.  The big problem iwith C2 in the game is that the C2 system only works in a hierarchical manner and not per RL.  You can have a bunch of units sitting on top of each other, but if they are not from the "right" formation(s), they will not talk to each other.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

I never bothered playing Iron as I couldn't see much difference from Elite, but if one plays the C2 "game" it looks interesting.  The big problem iwith C2 in the game is that the C2 system only works in a hierarchical manner and not per RL.  You can have a bunch of units sitting on top of each other, but if they are not from the "right" formation(s), they will not talk to each other.

Yes, it is how the game operates. The 21 C team is responsible for the administration of the HQ. Lots of people use them as medics etc. It is a waste now the Forward Observers have the contact icon and plotting missions have become a lot easier. What good is a recon if your key people don't get the intel? The scouts run more risks and it is no good putting the Forward Observer in the same proximity. On Iron you must make sure the area of your gunships and fighter bombers doesn't include some of your own troops. It is an effective way to find out how effective a half ton bomb is. Trust me HQ's and their staff talk to other units which are not in the same hierarchy. FiST Vehicles have become more useful. I suggest you try it place your HQ or its 21 C team in the proximity of a unit with which they don't share the same C 2 network. In this game the 21 C team is inside the vehicle of the Tac Air Observer. The T72 tanks and their ATGM's support are now at the mercy of the helicopter gunships. The problem the AI can't figure out which observing post you use in the Area of Operations. I let the HQ Challenger bail out and get the intel too before I commit them, there is a good chance they score the first hit if they have the contact icon to go by. 

22 hours ago, Erwin said:

You can have a bunch of units sitting on top of each other, but if they are not from the "right" formation(s), they will not talk to each other.

Generally they actually do communicate, but it seems a bit patchy with Red/Uncons in CM:SF2.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I did a bunch of tests while playing one of GeorgeMC's large CMSF map scenarios.  The inf units sitting on top of each other would not communicate - least not after 5+ minutes, when I gave up trying to get them to acknowledge each others' existence - very rude I thought.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

I did a bunch of tests while playing one of GeorgeMC's large CMSF map scenarios.  The inf units sitting on top of each other would not communicate - least not after 5+ minutes, when I gave up trying to get them to acknowledge each others' existence - very rude I thought.

The Contacts Icons get relayed to the HQ of the Scouting units if they are in contact. If you place the 2iC unit with the Tac Air controller in his Vehicle, he gets the Contact Icons first spotted by the scouts. In this scenario, you're right the sub units don't convey information to each other even if they share the same building. It is nothing new, the Dutch underground spotted the headquarters of a Panzer Division in their town. British High Command ignored it as the Dutch underground was not part of their communications network. (The security of the Dutch underground was already compromised) Even when the network of the Dutch Telcom (PTT) was offered to them they stuck with their non-functioning short wave radio network. As they say the Battle for Arnhem is history. The story is an interesting one part of it is called Operation North Pole, till now we don't know how many double agents were involved. We get the idea when the likes of Speidel (Rommel's 2iC) became one of the staff of NATO. Give the 2iC a go with FO's when they don't share the same network.  Watch the Green Radio Buttons. I use games which I already played for testing. I told a little bit of history as the game may also take into account communications protocols. By the way, I was Dutch born but am an Australian citizen for the last 55 years. 

3 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

The Contacts Icons get relayed to the HQ of the Scouting units if they are in contact. If you place the 2iC unit with the Tac Air controller in his Vehicle, he gets the Contact Icons first spotted by the scouts. In this scenario, you're right the sub units don't convey information to each other even if they share the same building. It is nothing new, the Dutch underground spotted the headquarters of a Panzer Division in their town. British High Command ignored it as the Dutch underground was not part of their communications network. (The security of the Dutch underground was already compromised) Even when the network of the Dutch Telcom (PTT) was offered to them they stuck with their non-functioning short wave radio network. As they say the Battle for Arnhem is history. The story is an interesting one part of it is called Operation North Pole, till now we don't know how many double agents were involved. We get the idea when the likes of Speidel (Rommel's 2iC) became one of the staff of NATO. Give the 2iC a go with FO's when they don't share the same network.  Watch the Green Radio Buttons. I use games which I already played for testing. I told a little bit of history as the game may also take into account communications protocols. By the way, I was Dutch born but am an Australian citizen for the last 55 years. 

Tac-Air-Control-Party.jpg