IL2 1946 advice needed

mjkerner

I know some of you guys out there are into IL2 as well as our beloved CMx2 games, so I’m hoping one of you can help me out. I was an IL2 aficionado from 2001 to 2011 when CMBN first arrived. (Still played it a lot after I got CMSF in 2008, but once the CMx2 got rolling into WWII, I just put it aside.  Now, 10 years later, I’d like to get back into it, especially after finding it is still supported and updated and, a biggy to me, modded to be able to fly in the jet age. At this point I’m not interested in the new IL2 Cliffs of Dover, etc., but the updated 1946. I understand that there are at least 3 updated mod packs to choose from, BAT, VP, and VPack (? going from memory on the last one). I’ll probably go with BAT because of the compartmentalization into 4 eras, and maybe another one loaded on an external drive. 

I have all my original dvds for Pacific Fighters and 1946, as well as (I think) all the possible 3rd party add-ones like Stalingrad and Bodenplatte and whatever. Do I need any of these as a base for adding any of the 3 mod packs I mentioned? What should be used as a base game? And what advice can you give regarding those 3mod packs and their good and bad points?

About two years ago I flirted with Strike Fighters, but didn’t like it. However, it did cause me to check out my rudder pedals, joystick, throttles and IRTracker. Everything worked fine, but I did get a new updated tracker. Last week my 7 year old computer fried, so I am getting a new one with the help of my sons, both IT professionals. I’m pulling out the stops, so am assured of an appropriately powerful machine. (But I understand good video cards have skyrocketed in price over the last few years, correct?)

So, in general any advice regarding dealing with the mod packs, game/pack versions, base game to start from, etc., would be most appreciated!

I cannot help you directly. Since I never upgraded my Il-2 beyond the Aces expansion + Battle over Europe addon.

But this gog forum below is usually very practical, as it does not expect people to be familiar with everything Il-2 already:

https://www.gog.com/forum/il_2_sturmovik_1946#1608978673

Someone there mentions BAT requiring an older Il-2 version v4.12, unless something changed in recent months.

I have an original Il-2 1946 DVD, but also bought that online version there for a mere E 2,- for the convenience of having an already updated version at hand.

I actually like Strike Fighters more myself. But am usually modding it instead of playing it. I actually made a map editor for that game.

I recently had the same 'urge' as an old-time Il2 flyer and bought 1946 (again) on Steam.  I set it to run as 4-12 and installed BAT over it.  Works a treat, with great content from BAT.  I've hardly scratched the surface of their stuff but would highly recommend it.

Hardware-wise, I tried dusting off my old Saitek X52 Hotas, no problem.  I used my CH Pro rudder pedals, again no problem.  I then got out my TrackIR2 (yes, it's old).  It worked, but not as well as I remember, and it really is a 'must' for Il2. It also lacks 6DOF.  So I was thinking of buying a new TrackIR.

And then in a thread here that you may have seen, @Aragorn2002 reminded me of Il2 Tank Crew.  I bought it and am having fun with it, but again I really need the TrackIR, which I haven't bought yet (I got CMFI and CMFB instead, both of which are great).

All of which I can sum up with the words 'time is too short' 😉.  FWIW I have spent today mostly playing FB.

Thanks Kevin and Vacillator. I see that they released 4.14.1 (or was it 4.13.1?) just the other day. But it is good to know BAT install over the base was easy. But it looks like a lot of downloading and that gets me nervous that a file or two will get corrupted. Anyway, my pedals, throttle, and Joystick are CH Pros as well, but confess I was looking into the more substantial Warthog (Thrustmaster?) and then thinking about a cockpit chair.....

3 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Thanks Kevin and Vacillator. I see that they released 4.14.1 (or was it 4.13.1?) just the other day. But it is good to know BAT install over the base was easy. But it looks like a lot of downloading and that gets me nervous that a file or two will get corrupted. Anyway, my pedals, throttle, and Joystick are CH Pros as well, but confess I was looking into the more substantial Warthog (Thrustmaster?) and then thinking about a cockpit chair.....

The version on Steam still appears to be be 4-12-2 which is what I have here.  It currently costs £2.17!  Less than a paper cup of watery coffee 😉.

Although I had no problems, I see a few people on Steam are saying it didn't work for them with Windows 10.  As I say it's fine here with Win10/Intel i7/Nvidia GTX1060 but their comments might be worth bearing in mind (who knows with Steam comments 😁?).

BAT does require a lot of downloading (reflects its huge added content) but their downloads and installers worked flawlessly for me.

As for the hardware I don't really know the Warthog but I think I recall people rating it highly.  And yes a good chair would be nice...

4 hours ago, MSBoxer said:

I also gave up on Track IR years ago and switched to VR.  As far as I know IL2 supports VR.

Good point, I haven't tried VR myself but it should be a great alternative for Il2 if supported - reading the comments on Steam and elsewhere seemed to suggest it's possible but not staightforward?

Edit: the newer version of Il2 (Battle of Stalingrad plus additions, including Tank Crew) supposedly support VR but again with a bit of tinkering to get it to work.  I'm tempted for Tank Crew.

Edited by Vacilllator

You guys are making me drool.  I was big into flight sims 15+ years ago and actually bought all the Thrustmaster stuff - but never got around to using any of it(!) as CM used up all my time.  All the gear is probably obsolete by now.  :(

Am very interested in this new VR tech.  Any good links for one to learn up on it and how it interacts with games such as IL and the DCS games?

If you are into more modern and VERY accurate flight sims I recommend Digital Combat Simulator.  In VR it is awesome.  Fully rendered and clickable cockpits, great missions and multiplayer if you are into it.  I am working to become proficient on the KA-50 Blackshark helo and have played with the A-10 but damn it is complicated. 

While DCS does have some WWII aircraft and campaigns, I have not played enough to comment having just played around a bit with the P-51 and the Dora.

Sorry for the double post, but I am also drooling over some of the Vipril hardware, mostly due to the twist rudder.  Don't get me wrong I loved my CH pedals back in the day but prefer the twist now.

Their equipment is expensive and there appears to be a long wait once ordered.

This my 15+ years old Saitek X52.  Still great and very programmable - look at all of those axes, buttons, rotaries, sliders, triggers etc. all programmable.  Tightened up the stick with an extra washer 😉.

As for 'twist stick' back in those days everyone said "No, lock it and use pedals".  I agreed as it tended to skew what else I was trying to do with my stick (ooh err, missus) and used CH pro pedals instead.

X52 Flight System - Fully Integrated Stick and Throttle Flight Controller|  Saitek.com

Have yet to try it for Tank Crew, but will do.  The pedals should work for that okay and the throttle apparently works better than the stock keyboard controls (I can believe it).

Yeah, pedals vs twist is a personal and sometimes contentious decision.  I have gotten used to twist and since my gaming computer is in the family room, it is more acceptable to SWMBO.

BTW, the twist on the Virpil sticks can be locked out and they also offer pedals.

Hi all, first post here, I'm also a fan of flight sims.  I missed out on the glory days of the original IL-2 as I wasn't simming at the time, but since 2011 I've been pretty active with Rise of Flight (also from 1C-777) and to a lesser degree with the IL-2 Great Battles series, which I've backed since launch in 2014.

To confirm: the IL-2 Great Battles series is absolutely compatible with VR, and is considered one of the best-supported VR titles out there. I am not (yet) a VR user, but it has been a feature for years now, and the official forums are full of discussion and suggestions for getting your setup running. There is also discussion there regarding IL-2 1946 and Cliffs of Dover, in case that's helpful.

IL-2 Great Battles itself runs very nicely on reasonably recent hardware (until I upgraded recently, I was running with very satisfactory performance on an i7-6700 and 1070). I have used TrackIR for a decade now, and have this summer invested in a Virpil Controls HOTAS (Constellation Alpha stick with WarBRD base and MongoosT-50CM2 throttle). Those join my MFG Crosswinds pedals, which are themselves a tremendously nice piece of kit. Prior to this year, I used a Thrustmaster T.16000M and CH Products Pro throttle, both of which I loved and enjoyed.

Note that HOTAS availability has been spotty for most of the past year, due to COVID as well as the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and Star Wars Squadrons, two flight-oriented titles that drove a huge spike in demand for joysticks, throttles and rudder pedals which still hasn't fully abated. As a flight sim fan, I actually think that's a good thing - fresh blood in this segment is very welcome, and those two titles are excellent introductions to the genre (I own and enjoy both).

The multiplayer scene in IL-2 Great Battles has been growing steadily over the years, which is nice to see. It's still not quite where IL-2's population was back in the heyday of the early 2000s, but it's enough to have a good experience overall. The servers are hosted privately with maps created by the community, and most of them focus quite heavily on realism and would likely satisfy someone who enjoys Combat Mission.

1C-777 is working now on the Battle for Normandy expansion, which will bring even more cool planes to the lineup. The release of Battle of Bodenplatte a couple years ago - which introduced some of the mainstay American aircraft (P-51, P-47, P-38, etc) to the Great Battles series - seems to have really helped interest in the game. On the plus side, there's a good representation of Soviet and German aircraft due to the series' original focus on the Eastern Front.

In any event, I hope that gives some sense of where the IL-2 franchise is at now. It's a great franchise and I'm glad it exists - just like I'm very glad to have found Combat Mission.

2 hours ago, surfimp said:

In any event, I hope that gives some sense of where the IL-2 franchise is at now. It's a great franchise and I'm glad it exists - just like I'm very glad to have found Combat Mission.

Welcome again 😁 after welcoming you on the 'other' thread.  Good summary for me as one who used to fly the old Il2 not the new.  I have however bought Tank Crew, which is really a DLC for the new Il2 series.  What are your thoughts on Tank Crew?

Also, on Steam and direct from 1C the older parts of the new series are heavily discounted, so very tempting...

19 hours ago, MSBoxer said:

since my gaming computer is in the family room, it is more acceptable to SWMBO.

I hear what you say, I'm currently playing CM on my gaming laptop on the kitchen table, which is also serving as my lockdown office 😁.  Even that has raised an eyebrow...

14 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

What are your thoughts on Tank Crew?

I've not purchased it, as I'm more of an airplane guy, but people seem to enjoy it!

They're also coming out with some AA trucks and halftracks, which should be an interesting addition to the game. There is NPC AA already, of course, but allowing players to operate it will make things interesting.

FWIW, I have always purchased my IL-2 and Rise of Flight content direct from the website, not via Steam. It's not as big of a deal now as it was in the past with Rise of Flight (when there was frequently a lag between when new content was available direct versus when it would come to Steam), but just sort of what I've always done. They do have sales about once per quarter.

Well, I went and maxed out on an Alienware AMD Razen9 2T Ss and 2T SATA, so I don’t think I’ll be upgrading to any Virpil equipment or a VR set anytime in the near future. But I am curious...how do you see your controls when you have a VR headset on?

Also, I have been studying the BAT Red Core and Blue Core on both Mission 4Today and SAS sites (my log ins are still valid after 10 years!) and reading all the threads so I know what to expect and do when my ‘puter gets here. I’ve never used a torrent before, but looks like I very well might want to at 100gigs of content! How safe from viruses is that technique, and any tips on going that route? Thanks in advance!

I see your point, your hands on the HOTAS and any keyboard clicks will be in the dark outside the headset?  The HOTAS might be workable but not sure about the keyboard.  Unless I'm missing something (quite probably).  Anyway I'm curious enough to have looked at the Oculus (Facebook) offerings today, plus a couple of Youtubes...

I did the BAT downloads the old-fashioned way, no torrent, and it all worked fine for me.  I'm on a pretty good FTTP so it was fairly quick.  However I'm not fully up to date so there may be sizeable recent additions that I don't have.  Having said that I may go with the new IL2 series instead as I already have Tank Crew and it's all VR ready.

It's more than a little annoying to me that IL-2 1946 still has things like night fighters and carrier operations that none of the current IL2 games have. Carrier ops require really high fidelity and lots of new flyable airplane models so I get why that's been on the backburner but man Great Battles has the freaking 110 and Ju-88 fully modeled but that's it. No radar sets, no Kammhuber Line, no searchlights etc. I'm getting really tired of 30 years of P-51s myself and I don't blame anyone for looking at the recent sims and just feeling like they don't offer much. 

DCS has searchlights and director controlled AAA by the way, but of course anything you want to do with that game requires you to shell out some serious money. 

5 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

I see your point, your hands on the HOTAS and any keyboard clicks will be in the dark outside the headset?  The HOTAS might be workable but not sure about the keyboard.  Unless I'm missing something (quite probably).  Anyway I'm curious enough to have looked at the Oculus (Facebook) offerings today, plus a couple of Youtubes...

I did the BAT downloads the old-fashioned way, no torrent, and it all worked fine for me.  I'm on a pretty good FTTP so it was fairly quick.  However I'm not fully up to date so there may be sizeable recent additions that I don't have.  Having said that I may go with the new IL2 series instead as I already have Tank Crew and it's all VR ready.

With my current X-52 I have no problem flying DCS flight sim and Elite Dangerous space sim while in VR.  More than enough buttons, hats, rotaries to get the job done.  I have no need to see the HOTAS.  

For some of the non-combat actions I use Voice Attack, landing gear, comms, lights...

26-102-073-13.jpg

Edited by MSBoxer