AP penetration after effects for smaller calibres

Encountering some Panthers with my 2 Churchill sections, I did not expect an easy time of it. What did surprise me was the ease with which the big cat shrugged off penetrating hits. The Churchill VII like the M4 75mm needs flank shots, and I managed it a few times; this panther was knocked out by rushing (if you can rush a Churchill...) a tank for a rear shot. It still took 2 rear hits to do it in.

HdtMBdI.png

The three hits observable to the side did nothing.

The other side:

VVVk4EO.png

What made so many hits possible was that I got a number of hits to the front which, though ineffective did take the gun out of action. This seems to be quite common for me with the Panther.

I note that vs the Sherman flank shots seem more decisive.

This isn't a complaint, but I did think a hull penetration was quite a serious event for the poor meatbags inside the vehicle, but in the case of this Panther it successfully killed two of the attacking tanks having suffered multiple penetrating 75mm hits; in other words it did not seem to impair the vehicle's fighting ability at all.

I've seen the same thing with the 2pdr vs the pzIV, you can drill it plenty without any noticeable effect. The 37mm M3 (great gun) is similar, but I suspect little energy is left after getting though the armour. I expected more from 75mm though. Maybe the APC-T is just a better round?

24 minutes ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

British use of US 75mm APCBC projectiles entailed removal of the HE burster and replacement with inert filler, which increased penetration capability by about 4% according to published ballistic test figures.

-- World War II Ballistics: Armor and Gunnery, pg 104

That's really interesting, thanks.