Troop Facade British ammo exchange -- How the...?

1 minute ago, IanL said:

in game terms it is a lot of micro managing. But 5 minutes to load up ammo is not really a lot. IRL it would take that long or longer probably. Our instant acquire command is a little optimistic.

While the CM system is terrifically good, I have long wondered if too much development emphasis is given to tiny incremental improvements that are often too subtle for the vast majority of us gamers to notice - like getting the correct number of rivets on a tank, or the placement of an ammo pouch on a uniform.  

I wish that emphasis was now given to the UI and streamlining the sometimes complex time-consuming click-fest one has to endure in order to achieve the desired result quickly so one can focus on the fun aspect of the game - the tactics.  Ammo acquisition is a perfect example.  Currently, after one has been playing the game for a while and the novelty has worn off, ammo acquisition is a completely irritating "make work" exercise. 

Instead of having to deal with clicking on units for several minutes simply to acquire some ammo, we should be able to acquire and swap ammo and weapons with an adjacent unit as one could in RL.  Yes, there should be a time penalty - like when one deploys or packs up a HMG.  Also, the quantity and type of ammo acquisition has to have reasonable limits.

With regards the reinforcements above mentioned. The passengers from two jeeps helped themselves to some 9mm without having to dismount. The rest of the spare ammo went to the blokes who had been in the fight since the beginning up near the Railway Station as they were running low. I just made sure that I parked the Jeeps out of sight of Jerry.

1 hour ago, KGBoy said:

Weight of the ammo doesn't seem to slow the men down-- or does it? 

It does somewhat. You should be able to load up a team with enough stuff so that they can no longer go Fast. It is highly likely the effect is not large enough and I'm not sure if it actually applies to rifle and smg ammo but only to AT weapons. I've never tested it extensively.

16 minutes ago, IanL said:

You should be able to load up a team with enough stuff so that they can no longer go Fast. It is highly likely the effect is not large enough and I'm not sure if it actually applies to rifle and smg ammo but only to AT weapons. I've never tested it extensively.

Agreed, if one has too many AT weapons the men can't move FAST or QUICK.  But, can't recall ever noticing any movement difference no matter how many thousands of rounds of ammo a two-man team may be carrying for resupply purposes.

5 hours ago, IanL said:

But from time to time getting a driver to pick up some AT weapon and dismount is useful.

I was going to send my driver team out into the mortar fire to be killed and see if I could scrounge their ammo that way. They were not giving their stores up any other way that I could think of. Cheap b-tards!

I am still playing the small scenarios. I have a lot to learn.  I start over a lot.  Haven't finished with Facade Troop as yet. Played ahead. Just played Bridge No. 7. Gamey as there is only one real solution. But trying to get a company (gracefully) through that canal spigot was worth a few tries.

In Facade T. I have only now figured (in my head) a way to kill that mg your Poles met. Now 2 mgs intelligence reports.(?)

Just finished Facade Troop last night. Thanks a lot for making me aware of it: I had somehow completely overlooked this wonderful little scenario.

Result: Total victory with the germans surrendering with 14 minutes left.
I managed to get my mortars, AT-gun and Jeep MG´s into enfilade positions and fire along the railroad where all the germans were clumping together. Lovely carnage 😉

BTW: Can anyone tell me what´s up with the greyed out MG´s in my jeeps? I thought it meant that the MG was jammed or reloading - but all the Jeep MG´s went grey during the game and none of them ever recovered. They all had rounds left so they werent just out of ammo.

cm%20normandy.exe%20Screenshot%202021.01

cm%20normandy.exe%20Screenshot%202021.01

@Warts 'n' all
Yes, the MGs were all undamaged. I suspect that this might be some sort of bug (maybe just with my game?), because I think I have observed the same thing with halftrack MGs. I havent really noticed before, because I rarely use the MGs as they usually get killed right away. But in this scenario there´s no way around it if you want to win.

I dont think I´ll try it as the germans. I think it will be too easy (they are more than twice as many as the brits).

So far I have been lucky with weapons "greying out" during a turn. I normally give them a Target Arc during the Command Phase and they resume firing at their previous target. I'm at a loss as to why your problem continues for the rest of the battle.

Just for the record there aren't any "br**s" in this battle. You have a mixture of Tommies and Poles. Happy gaming.