A few TO&E and QB pricing oddities

What better thing to do over Christmas than pore over CMBN TO&E.

I found a few oddities, potential bugs and "good to know" things I want to share. Most are about mortars. One is about AT guns.

• German armored medium mortar sections have 48 HE per section instead of 64 HE of their motorized and "foot" counterparts. Luftwaffe mortars also have only 48 HE per section. All cost the same QB price (there is one point change for parachute). Armored units can take their mortar halftracks along, each carrying 66 HE.
  • Mortar carriers and halftracks of all nationalities can serve ammo to any friendly mortar unit on the map - not just their section. Good to know.
  • When buying a German armored mortar section with the U304(f)-2 halftrack (no one buys that one, I know), one team can sometimes spawn with 8 HE less than usual, i.e. you get a mortar team without ammo or an ammo bearer team with 8 HE instead of 16 HE. It seems to happen randomly but frequently. Possible bug.
  • Opel Blitz trucks attached to medium mortar sections can carry 16 HE per vehicle (motorized), 24 HE (Fallschirm), 30 HE (motor Pioneers of the Luftwaffe) or 46 HE (SS Panzergrenadiers - Kampfgruppe). In all cases they cost the same 25 points.
  • Off-map medium mortar sections of some Luftwaffe units have a 2/3 chance of spawning with only 80 HE instead the usual 100 HE. No discounts are given for this.
  • British 3in mortar ammo carriers are provided with no drivers - the mortar team or the ammo bearer will drive them. However, they are subject to the same experience/soft factor pricing rules as other units. You can buy them for 34 points as unmotivated conscripts or for 81 points as elite fanatics. You always get the same vehicle and twenty-two 81mm HE rounds.
  • British airborne 3in mortar teams carry 36 HE instead of 27 HE of infantry mortar teams, but cost pretty much the same (1 point difference). Oddly, Canadian parachute mortar teams carry 27 HE.
  • When bought as infantry only, Canadian infantry mortar sections do not have their ammo bearers. You must switch to armored infantry for them to appear.
  • When bought as infantry only, the Polish Infantry Battalion [lorried] has the option for mortar ammo carriers - unlike British, who need to be bought as armored infantry for the carriers to become available.
  • British airborne antitank troop has an ATG ammo bearer team attached to the Troop HQ. This ammo bearer team is useless because it cannot share ammo with any AT guns in the troop. Ammo can be only shared within the troop's section, so a Troop HQ ammo bearer team cannot give its ammo to anybody.

10 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Mortar carriers and halftracks of all nationalities can serve ammo to any friendly mortar unit on the map - not just their section. Good to know.

Yes...  Thanks.  Wonder why the system doesn't normally allow ammo to be shared between units from different formations, as in: "Ammo can be only shared within the troop's section, so a Troop HQ ammo bearer team cannot give its ammo to anybody."

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

Yes...  Thanks.  Wonder why the system doesn't normally allow ammo to be shared between units from different formations, as in: "Ammo can be only shared within the troop's section, so a Troop HQ ammo bearer team cannot give its ammo to anybody."

I can imagine how this would be abused in QBs (buy one mortar and a lot of cheap ammo bearers), but I agree that in principle the player should have a way to get any ammo to any unit on the map. The abuse problem would be solved if HE ammunition was properly priced. The above shows that the amount of HE carried by a mortar unit has little effect, if any, on its QB price - although it is the first parameter that interests me when picking mortars for my troops.