Features Requests/Corrections

1. Larger maximum map size - the bigger the better especially for CMBS but really any title - tested to work on AMD Ryzen 9 5950x cpu with Nvidia RTX 3090 gpu.Ā  Even 1km/sq bigger would be great.

2. A few more AI plans.

3. More smoke and fire.Ā  More atmospheric elements that can be adjusted in general is nice - Umlaut-style elements and rubble for example.

4. Upgraded CMBS to more robust package to include US Marines, Nato, Russian Spetznas and Paras, troops riding on top of vehicles (like FB and RT), more modern terrain elements like cell towers, etc...

2 hours ago, RMM said:

I definitely like your suggestion of such barriers having a red line or some such to show that they're impassable;

I still don't see a problem with this because if you run the movement cursor over the terrain in question it will show you if it's passable or not. Sometimes you have to move itĀ slowly, but I use that method constantly when moving armor or other vehicles over any questionable terrain.Ā  I use it for checkingĀ for fords for both infantry and armor anytime there is a water obstacle of any sort.Ā  A redline or whatever on the map will kill immersion immediately, and if you'reĀ thinking of a pop-up indicator of some sort, the Movement cursor already basically does that. Maybe I'm missing something here?Ā Ā 

Snipers! every sniper is a marksman but not every marksman is a sniper. 90 % of a sniper's task is reconĀ and or spotting. Consider assigning a mortar to him 60 mm -81 mm so he doesn't give his position away. 81 mm can take out BMP's reliably.Ā  Dismounting or debussing, see your objective or short-term objective and see the last feature in the terrain which can hide your vehicle. That is the place to dismount your troopers, in Syria a soldier in full battle gear can be quickly affected by the heat. It took me 4 minutes for the sniper to take out the Kornet batteries no way he can do that with his scoped rifle. In the game he has a Laser, PDA besides his rifle. To go mount the APC or IFV give the mount order and you can move the vehicle and the squaddies at the same time. The squaddies will board at the rendezvous point.Ā Ā 

The group order (double-click and select multiple units) can be used as a basic "formation" order. It depends on how the group is arrayed at the move's start, but they will hold that formation pretty well. It's especially useful at the start of a scenario- particularly where larger distances might need to be covered. Couple that with adjustable waypoints, and it's effective.

16 hours ago, Lethaface said:

No TC makes quite the difference in spotting and situational awareness. Although I never played CM1 and the tank in question will indeed continue to operate without issue, especially if not in tank duels.

Well, it is more of a feeling, since I obviously have no numbers, but I still think the TC impact is not big.

My tanks mostlyĀ travel with closed hatches andĀ when I order them open up, the Pixeltruppen usuallyĀ close the hatchesĀ quickly. In any case, I donā€™t see much of a difference.

Did anybody ever check that in a test set-up? In a normal game situation with loads of contributing factors,Ā it is in anyway hard to tell which factor is governing.

5 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Well, it is more of a feeling, since I obviously have no numbers, but I still think the TC impact is not big.

My tanks mostlyĀ travel with closed hatches andĀ when I order them open up, the Pixeltruppen usuallyĀ close the hatchesĀ quickly. In any case, I donā€™t see much of a difference.

Did anybody ever check that in a test set-up? In a normal game situation with loads of contributing factors,Ā it is in anyway hard to tell which factor is governing.

I never did test-setups, but I am actually very sure that unbuttoning tanks helps a lot with regards to spotting (some examples excluded, like the M1A2SEP Abrams tanks who have optics that are just superior to unbuttoning).

Apart from spotting the gunner/loader/driver should be able to operate the tank without the commander. I guess some 'soft factors' will be influenced if you compare a buttoned tank with commander vs a buttoned tank without one. Not sure about that one, but the ability to unbutton is certainly a noticeable advantage to have.Ā 
It makes all the difference in spotting and firing first in tank duels at medium-long ranges.

Edited by Lethaface

5 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Opening the hatches makes a world of difference. I keep them unbuttoned unless the enemy is close (in which case they button up of their own accord pretty quickly anyway). And it's always worth getting some small arms fire on the AI tanks if they're unbuttoned so theyĀ close their hatches.

If the tanks are at a distance then it'll basically decide who spots who first and that might make a difference as to who wins a tank duel.

Although I've never "tested" it, if you're playing a big scenario, go round and unbutton all your tanks and you'll suddenly find they can see all sorts of things they couldn't see the previous turn.

11 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I've just fired up "The Copse" and taken a look. There doesn't appear to be any standard "Hedge" on the map. It is what is called "Low Bocage". Seen from above it will be thicker than "Hedge" whilst seen from the front it has a ragged outline, not a nice neat one.Ā 

Thank you sir. Good to know, along with mjkerner's suggestion to use the mouse cursor to check such terrain

6 hours ago, benpark said:

The group order (double-click and select multiple units) can be used as a basic "formation" order. It depends on how the group is arrayed at the move's start, but they will hold that formation pretty well. It's especially useful at the start of a scenario- particularly where larger distances might need to be covered. Couple that with adjustable waypoints, and it's effective.

It was good to find out about the adjustable waypoints Yes, makes a big difference.

8 minutes ago, John1966 said:

Opening the hatches makes a world of difference. I keep them unbuttoned unless the enemy is close (in which case they button up of their own accord pretty quickly anyway). And it's always worth getting some small arms fire on the AI tanks if they're unbuttoned so theyĀ close their hatches.

If the tanks are at a distance then it'll basically decide who spots who first and that might make a difference as to who wins a tank duel.

Although I've never "tested" it, if you're playing a big scenario, go round and unbutton all your tanks and you'll suddenly find they can see all sorts of things they couldn't see the previous turn.

Agreed, plus my original comments were in regards to a sniper taking out a TC. That definitely has an impact on the crew in many ways!

23 minutes ago, RMM said:

Agreed, plus my original comments were in regards to a sniper taking out a TC.

Oddly enough, I don't experience much difference if the TC gets hit. Someone takes over and it runs with one less crew. Which is why I risk it. It's if you lose two crew you really start to get problems (like the guns being greyed out).

15 minutes ago, John1966 said:

Oddly enough, I don't experience much difference if the TC gets hit. Someone takes over and it runs with one less crew. Which is why I risk it. It's if you lose two crew you really start to get problems (like the guns being greyed out).

Yeh, the functioning of the crew remains the same, but I think you'll notice the morale takes a hit. Seems to me, that it drops to at least Rattled

22 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Regarding #2, the game engine calculates the moves for a turn when you click the Big Red Button, so as it was developed, the engine simply can't show the paths your moving units will take. I supposed they could have a system where you do a pre-final BRB click to show you the pathing, but that would just be more annoying to have to essentially wait for each turn to calculate twice each time.

There is a subtle additional bit of info: The path to the next way point is actually calculated only after the move to the last one is completed. This allows your units to adjust to the new reality of terrain once they get there instead of a minute or more into the future. You can have an engineering team breach a wall or bocage and have other units move through the whole during the minute. To do this, plot movement orders for other units through the whole that *will* be there and time things so they get to their penultimate way point in front of the wall after the wall breach is created. No one actually notices this because in WeGo everything - including wall breaches - is pre-calculated and in Real Time it just feels like you would expect. But it is important to know that once a unit reaches a way point that's when it plans how to get to the next one.

To increase your odds that units will take the path you want through challenging terrain - walls, fences bocage etc. place on way point on one side of the obstacle and one on the other.

Ā 

12 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I've just fired up "The Copse" and taken a look. There doesn't appear to be any standard "Hedge" on the map. It is what is called "Low Bocage". Seen from above it will be thicker than "Hedge" whilst seen from the front it has a ragged outline, not a nice neat one.Ā 

Yeah, bitched about the (lack of) difference between hedges and low bocage from the get go. I stopped bitching a long time ago now. I just learned how to tell the difference but I still find it challenging.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:27 PM, transporter said:

Interesting. Ā I agree with the challenges mentioned above. Ā Others would be:

1. Ā If you have both smoke and WP rounds, be able to pick which ones you want to use. Ā Smoke is just smoke while WP especially fired into a building can cause much damage.

Sooo, this begs a thought - does the game not distinguish between the effects of regular smoke and WP? Coz there is an immense difference; just read testimony from anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of WP! There's a good reason why it caused aĀ MC in ASL! If CM doesn't distinguish, then I absolutely ditto this, and we should, indeed be able to decide which 'smoke' is used!

One thing to bear in mind about hedges, low bocage and high bocage,Ā some scenario designers will place them on impassable terrain tiles eg "heavy forest"Ā so your cursor will turn red if you move it over them. However, if they are set on a passable terrain tile then the cursor remains green giving you the false impression that your vehicles can drive straight through, that is why you need to know the difference between the three different typeĀ of hedge.

35 minutes ago, RMM said:

Sooo, this begs a thought - does the game not distinguish between the effects of regular smoke and WP? Coz there is an immense difference;

Well the fact that WP and smoke rounds are listed separately in the ammo loadouts means that you'd assume they are handled differently.

But I have to admit that this has always been a CM mystery to me.

We know they have different effects in real life but we can't select which to fire and I have no actual idea what is being fired because, if there is a difference, I don't know how to tell in the game.

11 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

One thing to bear in mind about hedges, low bocage and high bocage,Ā some scenario designers will place them on impassable terrain tiles eg "heavy forest"Ā so your cursor will turn red if you move it over them. However, if they are set on a passable terrain tile then the cursor remains green giving you the false impression that your vehicles can drive straight through, that is why you need to know the difference between the three different typeĀ of hedge.

Unfortunate there's no terrain-depiction, least not one that I know of.

WP is modeled, but pretty subtle. You can cause casualties with it, but Iā€™ve rarely Ā encountered it.Ā Possibly because I usually use smoke in an areas that are more open in order to provide cover and usually not many enemy troops around.Ā 

Not sure what you mean by terrain depiction, but the high and low bocage, and hedges, are all visually distinctive.Ā