Khabour Trail: Screenshot AAR

Khabour Trail

tumblr_n5s6sgYvYN1r1zhw1o1_400.jpg

The Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battlegroup

Tall Tamir & Al Hasakah, 2008

VBXEzBl.jpg

The Light Infantry approach the Urban centre of the Al Haskah Governate.

ZzMaeDm.jpg

Syrian Irregulars are engaged, near a Retirement Home.

eYGsnwi.jpg

Ambush! The Jihadists organize a deadly maze. The advance is slowed.

The first mission of this campaign really does my head in.....I always take much too long moving into the 'yards' (usually taking no casualties at all) then have to rush things entering the city (taking lots, then rage-quitting).  :rolleyes:

I know how I 'should' do it now, but my commander wouldn't, so I play it accordingly.....More time really would help IMHO.

Leap of Faith

umnbUG3.jpg

The Battlegroup cautiously moves into a Fedayeen-held town.

Ti0f2Xz.jpg

feQIs8p.jpg

The Fighters delay the Battlegroup's advance with hit and run attacks.

xehyPL8.jpg

aRNqmaz.jpg

The Light Infantry establishes a base of fire, and breaches into the heart of Faith.

ry9LZUd.jpg

Mines explode, and leave a rifleman bleeding out. There is no safe way to get to him.

fcnpH9n.jpg

ij94VfW.jpg

Fedayeen strong points are isolated and pounded with HEAT rounds and automatic fire.

Gluk3kf.jpg

The Fighters' avenue of retreat is cut off -- no way to outrun a LAV. The remaining Fighters eventually surrender.

JJv5I7g.jpg

An IED rocks the Leopard 1, the TC counts his blessings. Faith is under control, but there is still a long way to the region's capital.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The first mission of this campaign really does my head in.....I always take much too long moving into the 'yards' (usually taking no casualties at all) then have to rush things entering the city (taking lots, then rage-quitting).  :rolleyes:

I know how I 'should' do it now, but my commander wouldn't, so I play it accordingly.....More time really would help IMHO.

My strategy for this campaign focused on minimizing casualties, above all else. First Mission was a Minor Victory for me, because I didn't take the objective in time. You do get some victory points for retaining your troops, though. It would be cool if you could turn off the time limit.

The idea was to recce the strongpoints, outmaneuver them, surround them and then pound them. Each strongpoint was dealt with, individually. Then, the noose tightened. Half of all victories in this campaign came from surrender, prior to occupation of the primary objective(s).

8 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Nice! I guess that RPG-7VR round just missed that Leopard 1 c2 mexas? Would be curious to see how all that ERA holds up, although probably not good against a tandem HEAT round.
Never played with the Leo 1 c2 IIRC, it does look good at least :)

I don't remember if that tandem RPG hit it, but it certainly shrugged off RPG-7s. These screenshots were taken a year ago, on a bit of a whim. I'll see if I have any of actual detonations.

The Leo 1 did have to drive behind the Leo 2s, almost all the time. The quick firing 105mm did well against RPG-launchers, really nullifying them with HEAT. It even got into a tank duel, later on in the campaign (no spoilers).

10 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

I don't remember if that tandem RPG hit it, but it certainly shrugged off RPG-7s. These screenshots were taken a year ago, on a bit of a whim. I'll see if I have any of actual detonations.

The Leo 1 did have to drive behind the Leo 2s, almost all the time. The quick firing 105mm did well against RPG-launchers, really nullifying them with HEAT. It even got into a tank duel, later on in the campaign (no spoilers).

So you have been putting the ERA to good use ;-). It's a big boon to have in RPG infested cities/complex terrain.

Keep it up! Interested to read how it will hold up in a tank duel.

I'd expect the Leo 1 to be still superior to most things the Syrians field, apart from the T-90 perhaps (and the Turms-T variants would be on par sort of I guess). But not sure if the 105mm is overmatching the T-72 front turret armor as much as the 120mm APFSDS, while it may have real difficulties with the Kontakt-5 ERA on the T-90's.

A New Hope

DIH78Fv.jpg

The main roads are mined. The Battlegroup detours into the side streets, only to encounter road blocks and ambushes.

5owUFiG.jpg

The ground shakes as a VBIED detonates -- prematurely.

u4Oej5p.jpg

Direct assaults proved costly and slow. The Battlegroup focuses on the weak flanks of the Fedayeen.

yj03iXD.jpg

VuZCFV3.jpg

The Fighters' flank is devoid of IEDs or mines. The few defenders give way to concentrated firepower.

GnQObx5.jpg

UG7PDib.jpg

Nasri is now under surveillance. An Apache is called-in to beat the enemy into submission.

Out of real life an RPG 7 wounded a Centurion Tank Crew member and he lived with a migraine for the rest of his life. I imagine a Leo II can cope with it after experimenting the modern battle tank fires very accurately on the move. Abrams, Challengers or Leopards if I engage speed on fast from terrain feature to terrain feature. Using tactics from CM games during WW 2 makes you a sitting duck for ATGM's even the dated Saggers. 

Ambush!

It12IG3.jpg

A LAV becomes the first casualty of a SAA ATGM.

eewvEBX.jpg

A recoilless rifle joins in, countered by 25mm Bushmaster.

W4VFeqs.jpg

Infantry launch rockets and grenades at the SAA defenders.

Northern Lights

wVPKY4S.jpg

The Battlegroup begins offensive on a well fortified SAA chemical weapons facility.

WdiHTMx.jpg

Infantry begin to clear out the flanks, the staging ground for the assaults on Tundra.

HIPVkGg.jpg

tpXxMqG.jpg

The SAA defenders are well equipped with ATGMs and heavy rockets. The Leopard 2's take point.

rUy8gtP.jpg

The LAVs and Coyotes on the flanks, join in. SAA defenders are suppressed by cannon fire and air-burst mortars.

SJwUdiw.jpg

A rolling barrage covers the infantry's insertion into Tundra's flank.

GG7c2en.jpg

SAA's flank is penetrated. Exploitation of the breakthrough is quickly followed up by a combined arms thrust.

fSMko8y.jpg

Gunner, cease fire! The Battlegroup clears the stubborn defenders of the chemical weapons facility.

• 1 month later...

Road Kill

q76xt92.jpg

The Mechanized Infantry races down towards Tall Tamir, as dawn breaks.

DHirWN7.png

cYaOcc7.png

The Infantry and LAVs are slightly delayed by Fedayeen stragglers.

GcHEzZk.png

The SAA makes a hasty retreat to Tall Tamir.

v5FyMmg.png

The Battlegroup follows in pursuit.

rHtF2kN.png

Forward Operators report an SAA SPAAG destroyed by Artillery.

3Nxl3ou.png

QOuxH1I.png

Infantry platoons leap-frog through the streets and the craters of a rolling barrage.

fm5eUn0.png

The SAA forward defenders scatter and surrender. Next Stop: Tall Tamir.

• 4 weeks later...

Suburban Hell

yQ163H1.png

Driver! REVERSE!

D7j6i5Z.pngSjggX1I.png

The Eryx teams are quick to deploy and establish kill zones. Just in time for an armoured SAA thrust.

KTWfHH7.pngVcZTzSp.png

We're dry! And they just keep coming!

40xdY19.png1b5j3gA.png

The cavalry is here -- and not too soon!

JpoaVG4.pngD8ToWT9.png

The SAA expend their T-62s in a foolish adventure. Now, the town's capture is only a matter of time.

rzwx8z6h7qt31.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tightening the Noose

TVshBrI.png

An SAA counterattack catches a couple of Light Infantry platoons off-guard.

t410VRr.pngYSvMna9.png

The assault turns into a stalemate. The SAA harasses garrisoned infantry with RPGs.

MKnw1uU.png

The SAA infantry charges into the kill-zone. Another desperate move, Al Hasakah is near.

Al Hasakah

tMmHMKi.png

The Outskirts are lightly defended.

1j8meCz.png

Downtown is surrounded, but is still a fortress.

Ttw9LuV.png

Two Cold Warriors face off in the dusty rubble of Syria.

ZDHgrlq.jpgxRsVok3.png

The firepower of the task force persuades the SAA staff into unconditional surrender.

zHM8xuG.png

Mission. Accomplished.