Steven Zaloga, how accurate???

Armorgunner

I just bought 3 E-Books. T-72 Standard Tank, T-80 Standard Tank, and T-90 Standard Tank. Anyone know how accurate he is? T-72 M1, I know from first hand, the armour on. And penetration capabilitys of late coldwar era amunition. As I myself was a part in the testing. But thats it! I havent even started to read yet, just want your opinion about Zaloga?

12 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

He seems a knowledgeable author and his writing is easy enough to read.....He also makes really good models and is happy to help others attempt to do the same.

Ok, Great. Thanks 😀. Still having trubble to open the books though. But I do a new try tomorrow, when I´m more alert.

Zaloga's been around for a long time. The earliest book from him i have is dated 1979. His Cold War era stuff seems to rely heavily on Pentagon sources (as did everyone at the time). His later stuff uses Russian sources. I only saw one misfire from him, a 1989 Concord picture book on T72. His vehicle naming conventions were  all over the place . His 1993 New Vanguard book on the same subject got the naming straightened out. The '89 book was around the fall of the Berlin wall, apparently he just missed having access to original Russian documents.

On 12/13/2020 at 12:01 AM, Armorgunner said:

I just bought 3 E-Books. T-72 Standard Tank, T-80 Standard Tank, and T-90 Standard Tank. Anyone know how accurate he is? T-72 M1, I know from first hand, the armour on. And penetration capabilitys of late coldwar era amunition. As I myself was a part in the testing. But thats it! I havent even started to read yet, just want your opinion about Zaloga?

Post 2000 books tend to be decent, good enough for a layman/enthusiast due to the availability of better source base for him to use.

4 hours ago, ikalugin said:

Post 2000 books tend to be decent, good enough for a layman/enthusiast due to the availability of better source base for him to use.

I have read the T-80 Standard tank. And it was very easy reading. most things seems to be correct. So I´m pleased with it. Plan to start to read T-90 Standard Tank, tonight.

On 12/14/2020 at 4:39 AM, HerrTom said:

ACSM is a DRM'd book format for Adobe Digital Editions.  I've heard Zaloga is quite good on the technical side but can be found wanting on the historical analysis sometimes, where there are others who provide a better picture (like Glantz).

It was actually my first E-book ever 😄, but it worked out. Thanks.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:53 AM, MikeyD said:

Zaloga's been around for a long time. The earliest book from him i have is dated 1979. His Cold War era stuff seems to rely heavily on Pentagon sources (as did everyone at the time). His later stuff uses Russian sources. I only saw one misfire from him, a 1989 Concord picture book on T72. His vehicle naming conventions were  all over the place . His 1993 New Vanguard book on the same subject got the naming straightened out. The '89 book was around the fall of the Berlin wall, apparently he just missed having access to original Russian documents.

I know all about Zalogas books. Dont know why I waited so long, to buy a few of those. I think I will just keep on buying them.